Fall Fly-In at Gaston's... October 5th-7th

After seeing the "lay of the land" and knowing now that there are excellent grill facilities... and in some cabins, reasonable cooking facilities...

I think if your aircraft has the additional gross weight capability to show up with ingredients to feed an army, and you're a halfway decent cook, one could really enjoy Chef duty.

Various wonderful folks and significant others here spent some non-insignificant time in the kitchen prior to and after arrival this summer.

Doc Bruce isn't a bad stunt double for a grill master when pressed into action, either. ;)

Future trips, the 182 will be bringing various goodies. And implement of food preparation.

Everyone always talks online here about which beverages are being flown in, but food is the way to the hearts of the Army.

Anybody can bring Crown. Not everyone can bring dinner! ;)

(And some brought amazing desserts. Ohh my.)
Nate, are you trying to throw down a challenge to Leslie? I don't think she has the time (or budget) to put on a spread like she does at Oshkosh. I do remember a desert-baking contest one year though! We ALL won!

Nate, are you trying to throw down a challenge to Leslie? I don't think she has the time (or budget) to put on a spread like she does at Oshkosh. I do remember a desert-baking contest one year though! We ALL won!

Oh lord no. If Leslie's coming, all the rest of us are just soux chefs. Heh.

:mad3: Well... I'm out. :mad3:

The time off that was approved this coming weekend has now been un-approved and I am stuck here working. Nothing else to say. Y'all have fun without me. I don't want to talk about it anymore.

Checking in... who's in?
Actually, checking out. We're bowing out. The following have said they're out:
Merli, Prellwitz, Whistman, Duehr, Richards, Frederick

partial/Maybe:
White is on the fence because his +1 may have a schedule conflict
Winters was planning to be there Sunday only, as far as I can tell.
Chien (I presume his plane is up)
Farlow (looking for ride)

Did I forget anyone?

Last edited:
Well, if no one else is going...then...I guess we'll see you next year.

Actually, checking out. We're bowing out. The following have said they're out:
Merli, Prellwitz, Whistman, Duehr, Richards, Frederick

partial/Maybe:
White is on the fence because his +1 may have a schedule conflict
Winters was planning to be there Sunday only, as far as I can tell.
Chien (I presume his plane is up)
Farlow (looking for ride)

Did I forget anyone?

Well, if no one else is going...then...I guess we'll see you next year.

:( I'm very sorry everyone... I feel like this whole thing fell apart because of me. :( I didn't plan my end-of-the-year vacation time very well and I'm being jacked around because of it. :mad:

Out. No ride has come forward.

Well... not even sure how to start this story, but it looks like I can go to Gaston's again after raising all kinds of un-ladylike hell with the "powers- that-be" at work. I know that everyone now already has other plans and so my weekend is still basically ruined by my job, but I just wanted to throw it out there that I'll be at 3M0 on Saturday afternoon and leaving after Sunday brunch. Sigh... perhaps Christopher will take me fishing... hopefully he will put the worms on the hooks for me. I deeply regret all of the drama this week... this isn't even close to how I wanted this weekend to turn out. :(

My Mom always told me it was a lady's prerogative to change her mind :).

I was planning on going for Sunday brunch with some friends, but I'm out now. I just have a bit too much school work to focus on, as well as my multi-engine checkride a couple days after. I'm still wanting/planning on going later in October, hopefully when the colors are changing.

I was planning on going for Sunday brunch with some friends, but I'm out now. I just have a bit too much school work to focus on, as well as my multi-engine checkride a couple days after. I'm still wanting/planning on going later in October, hopefully when the colors are changing.

Good luck on your multi- ride... that is awesome! :yes:

Good luck on your multi- ride... that is awesome! :yes:
Thanks! I'm pretty excited. I have what we call an end-of-course ride tomorrow, which is required by the university. It's essentially the entire checkride, but no FAA ticket. Luckily I'm taking it with the same DPE that will be doing my checkride, so it should be a pretty good indication of what to expect. Still nervous tho.

One of these days I'm going to make it up there. Not but a 2 hr flight for me. Rie and I have been planning on going up for a weekend just to check it out and get away for a day or so. Have been really tied up at work for the last couple of weeks and now the plane is in for annual.

You'll still have fun, Lynn! Enjoy Gaston's in the fall, and let us know if the trees have started turning colors...

We had fun! Decent weather... perfect weather on Sunday (sunny, clear and cool)... and WINE! We even got to use the fireplace in our cabin. Can't really do that at June Gaston's. LOL. The runway was in great shape... no martial arts classes this time taking place on the runway! :eek: We hiked around the nature trails, took some pictures, saw some trees that had started to turn colors, visited the geese, had brunch on Sunday, and then went home. Gaston's also now has a haywagon for group trail tours! A quick trip for sure, but I was happy not to have missed out on another trip to Gaston's. By the the time you get there in a couple of weeks, I'm thinking the fall colors will be at their best! :D

P.S... I'm enjoying your photos on FB very much! Looks like you are having a fabulous time on your Texas flyabout. More photos, please! :yes:

Last edited:
Back