Fall Fly-In at Gaston's... October 5th-7th

flygirl34q

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
-
October 6th Post Familie Wine Tasting

Free Post Families Wine Tasting, at Gaston's Conference Lodge, from noon until 4 p.m. Come and enjoy Perry's Puppies and others.

:D And for those who didn't get enough Gaston's this weekend and also for those who couldn't make it... let's do it again this fall when the leaves are colorful and the weather cool and crisp. Last year, we had perfect weather all weekend for 600 miles around Gaston's. So, pencil it in for this coming October... there is usually a special chef's dinner at the restaurant after the wine tasting and sale. Last year, there was broiled trout and steak with some kind of frou' frou' sauce, salad, veggies, and bread pudding for dessert. And wine... can't forget the wine. :D

Somebody please post a "this thread is worthless without pics" smiliey.

and for those who didn't get enough Gaston's this weekend and also for those who couldn't make it... let's do it again this fall when the leaves are colorful and the weather cool and crisp.
We will be staying at Gaston's this October when the trees are peaking. Probably the third weekend in October. It's absolutely beautiful that time of year down there.

Y'all have fun in early October. :) Looking forward to seeing photos from your fly-in. :)

That's most likely the Windwood weekend - first weekend in October. Have fun, I'll be at a place that's more welcoming to pilots - WV62.

That's most likely the Windwood weekend - first weekend in October. Have fun, I'll be at a place that's more welcoming to pilots - WV62.

Awww... p*** in a leaky bucket. :( I forgot about Windwood! Well, maybe Adam can help me out and schedule Windwood for the next weekend. Last year, it was even on the third weekend in October. That way, everyone who chooses to can do both if they want to. It just seemed natural to me to have Fall Gastons on a weekend when there was something special going on at the resort, like the wine tasting/sale and chef's dinner.

:D Time off for Fall Gaston's just got APPROVED! (It wasn't my natural weekend off) :D Time to make cabin reservations! :D

Frou' Frou' sauce, hmm, wonder if I could find a recipe for that. :D

BTT... Fall Gaston's is now a month away. Don't forget there will be a Post Familie wine tasting event in the Conference Center between noon and 4pm on Saturday with dinner at the restaurant to follow. Cabins get scarce around the leaf watching time of the year, so if you are at all considering staying for the weekend, here is a reminder to reserve your cabin early. :D

http://www.gastons.com/index.php

Last edited:
Troy? Still planning on this?

Hmmm, since my trip to San Francisco was canceled, perhaps I can make this! Not too excited about the wine tasting, though.

We're out. Karen has a dress rehearsal for Internationals. Sorry!

Bummer, Nate and Karen... we'll miss you both! :( But, good luck with your competition! Wow... "Internationals" sounds intense!

Troy? Still planning on this?

Troy AND Mike... I hope you both can make it!

If I am out of my late September Annual, I will go!

You too, Dr. Bruce! Hopefully, your annual will go well and there are no huge surprises/problems that can't be taken care of in a week or two!

Hmmm, since my trip to San Francisco was canceled, perhaps I can make this! Not too excited about the wine tasting, though.

Wine is completely optional, Grant! I'm sure Troy (the Gaston's bartender) can substitute Crown in a wine glass just for you! :D

I'm really hoping for the amazing weather we had last year to repeat itself this year. We had a PERFECT forecast that actually held up all weekend in an 800 mile radius around Gaston's. I'm hoping everyone can stay for Sunday brunch the next morning, but if you can only come Saturday to say hello or even just Sunday to eat, that is great too. There is plenty of good information on Jesse's Gaston's fly-in website about flying-in and the resort itself, but if you have any questions or concerns, by all means, don't hesitate to ask!

http://www.gastonsflyin.com/index.php

I had the idea to have a Fall Gaston's starting last year, because just one weekend in the summer just wasn't enough for me. Besides, the weather there is better (cooler) in the fall anyways. So come and enjoy! :D

FYI, there may be more traffic than normal just south of Gaston's that weekend. Valley Airport is 2.7 miles south of Gaston's.

October 5-7 – Cotter, AR – Valley Airport (61AR) Fourth Annual fly-in. We will arrange for accommodations for as many as possible and will have some motel rooms blocked. First come, first served so come early! We will plan a cookout Friday evening and Saturday evening. Some hangar space will be available at the Valley Airpark If you do not want to land at the Valley, you may land at Flippin (FLP) about 3 miles west. Valley Airpark (61AR) Freq. 123.0 2800 ft asphalt runway (“VALLEY” painted on Runway) 2.4 mi EAST of Flippin (FLP) Standard pattern is midfield crosswind from the north then right downwind for RWY 10 left downwind for RWY 28 Please RSVP Ed 605-940-9420 Contact me for flyer.

FYI, there may be more traffic than normal just south of Gaston's that weekend. Valley Airport is 2.7 miles south of Gaston's.

October 5-7 – Cotter, AR – Valley Airport (61AR) Fourth Annual fly-in. We will arrange for accommodations for as many as possible and will have some motel rooms blocked. First come, first served so come early! We will plan a cookout Friday evening and Saturday evening. Some hangar space will be available at the Valley Airpark If you do not want to land at the Valley, you may land at Flippin (FLP) about 3 miles west. Valley Airpark (61AR) Freq. 123.0 2800 ft asphalt runway (“VALLEY” painted on Runway) 2.4 mi EAST of Flippin (FLP) Standard pattern is midfield crosswind from the north then right downwind for RWY 10 left downwind for RWY 28 Please RSVP Ed 605-940-9420 Contact me for flyer.

Thanks for the heads up, Diana!! And I will be looking out for them. I think this fly-in was an issue last year too, IIRC, and I wish I had more time to check it out this year... It sounds like a lot of fun! Wish you could make it to Gaston's, but have fun on your Texas Fly-about! :D

Okay, we'll be there Friday. Cabin booked (under Lynn's name). Bringing the Bonanza.

Thanks for the heads up, Diana!! And I will be looking out for them. I think this fly-in was an issue last year too, IIRC, and I wish I had more time to check it out this year... It sounds like a lot of fun! Wish you could make it to Gaston's, but have fun on your Texas Fly-about! :D

Also, if there are any early-birds...

The Valley hosts a great pancake breakfast the first Thursday of every month (October 4), starting at 0830.

Also, Harrison, Mountain Home, Valley, Flippin, et. al., use 123.0, so if possible, it's not a bad idea to monitor 123.0 while going into Gastons on 122.8.

Last edited:
When did this happen?! :dunno:

No no... not you Troy W.! But, there really is a Troy that works at Gaston's as a bartender... Brook has always liked him. :stirpot: I hope she won't see this and hate me for sayin' so! :rolleyes:

No no... not you Troy W.! But, there really is a Troy that works at Gaston's as a bartender... Brook has always liked him. :stirpot: I hope she won't see this and hate me for sayin' so! :rolleyes:

Oh!! Ok! I get it now.

Unfortunately, Teresa and I may be out this year... :(. Will know before the weekend is over, for sure.

Oh!! Ok! I get it now.

Unfortunately, Teresa and I may be out this year... :(. Will know before the weekend is over, for sure.

I hope you can make it, both of you! I'm so looking forward to Gaston's as always! Christopher and I can only make it on Saturday for the wine tasting and of course, Sunday brunch, but Grant and Leslie will be there on Friday if you want to get there early to enjoy another day there. :D

I hope you can make it, both of you! I'm so looking forward to Gaston's as always! Christopher and I can only make it on Saturday for the wine tasting and of course, Sunday brunch, but Grant and Leslie will be there on Friday if you want to get there early to enjoy another day there. :D

We were planning Friday-Sunday; will just have to see how another situation pans out first.

David's got a squeeze box? Man, I gotta check this out.

See ya Sunday!

Anything in particular we need to remember to bring?

I think fishing stuff if you want to fish... hiking boots of you want to hike... or flight line lounge chairs if you just want to lounge! Crown if you don't care for wine (Grant!) Maybe a dressy outfit for the Saturday night dinner at the restaurant... it's hard for me not to go overboard on this one because Gaston's is so casual, but it happens sometimes. And a camera, of course. For the photos of things that happen at Gaston's that will always stay at Gaston's. LOL. :rolleyes:

I think fishing stuff if you want to fish... hiking boots of you want to hike... or flight line lounge chairs if you just want to lounge! Crown if you don't care for wine (Grant!) Maybe a dressy outfit for the Saturday night dinner at the restaurant... it's hard for me not to go overboard on this one because Gaston's is so casual, but it happens sometimes. And a camera, of course. For the photos of things that happen at Gaston's that will always stay at Gaston's. LOL. :rolleyes:
Oh, I like wine just fine. It's just that the Post Familie wine I tried at Gaston's one time left me very unimpressed. Just not my taste, I guess. I'll bring some hiking boots and chairs. Not much for dressy, though, so you'll have to settle for khakis and a long-sleeved shirt.

After seeing the "lay of the land" and knowing now that there are excellent grill facilities... and in some cabins, reasonable cooking facilities...

I think if your aircraft has the additional gross weight capability to show up with ingredients to feed an army, and you're a halfway decent cook, one could really enjoy Chef duty.

Various wonderful folks and significant others here spent some non-insignificant time in the kitchen prior to and after arrival this summer.

Doc Bruce isn't a bad stunt double for a grill master when pressed into action, either. ;)

Future trips, the 182 will be bringing various goodies. And implement of food preparation.

Everyone always talks online here about which beverages are being flown in, but food is the way to the hearts of the Army.

Anybody can bring Crown. Not everyone can bring dinner! ;)

(And some brought amazing desserts. Ohh my.)

Back