Fall colors are specactular in the Aspen area right now

Gubbins

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
gone for good
A photographer we know told us that the fall colors there are the best in a decade. So my wife and I flew out there this last weekend, and can confirm they are REALLY spectacular. We took some videos and pictures but haven't downloaded/posted all of them yet. I've attached one she snapped with her iPhone to give you an idea. The upper east slope of Mt Sopris is stunning (got lots of video in that area), then flying the valley past Redstone, then Marble and through the pass to Crested Butte is mind numbingly beautiful as well. It always is but especially so right now.

So those of you wanting to fly in the area, now is the time to do it!

And those of you who live in Colorado, I am incredibly jealous of your flying playground. :yikes:

Attachments

• aspen.jpg
    aspen.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 81
Posted a one from Granby on facebbok last week:
229293_10152083615390167_291592996_n.jpg

It is beautiful. And the grandeur of the Rockies is second to none. But our foliage, primarily patches of yellow with a couple of red splotches here and there, really doesn't compare with the muti-colored carpet of the eastern ranges.

It is beautiful. And the grandeur of the Rockies is second to none. But our foliage, primarily patches of yellow with a couple of red splotches here and there, really doesn't compare with the muti-colored carpet of the eastern ranges.

You don't need reds, and greens for Colorado to be spectacularly beautiful. The earth tones are awesome. If you want to see red, go to Red Rocks. :D

Flew over New Hampshire Monday, and the colors are coming out. I have my first solo XC whenever the weather gets better (tomorrow I suspect), and will take some photos.

You don't need reds, and greens for Colorado to be spectacularly beautiful.
Absolutely not. The Rockies are majestic even (and especially!) above the treeline. And any time of year. I was speaking strictly of the foliage coverage and variety itself. I've both lived and flown in both areas and if you're thinking it's about red and green, you need to look at some eastern fall foliage. Here's what I mean by multi-colored carpet:
NewHampshire1.jpg

Flew over New Hampshire Monday, and the colors are coming out. I have my first solo XC whenever the weather gets better (tomorrow I suspect), and will take some photos.
My very last eastern fall foliage trip was MA-NH-ME the October before I moved to Colorado. Look forward to the photos.

The scrub oak west of Vail Pass was quite multi-colored this year, Monday.

That reminds me, I need to watch that movie again sometime.

:D

I'm based out of Glenwood Springs, and I agree, the colors this year are pretty awesome. I haven't flown the crystal valley since spring, but going into Aspen on Monday was amazing. If your going to Leadville this weekend, I'd recomend a detour through Hagerman and over to Eagle...

This is one of the frames from one of the videos my wife took. That is Mt Sopris, and that area just east had by the far the most spectacular colors we saw in the area. Sorry it is so small. When I get some time here I will get it on youtube and post a link.

upload picture

Last edited:
One thing I miss about living in Colorado is the fabulous fall colors. Enjoy!

The ONLY thing I miss about living in the Upper Midwest is Fall, and the leaf-peeping flights we took up the Mississippi and Wisconsin Rivers. Of course, this was always the indicator of horrible weather to come...

Sent from my Nexus 7

Lots of dead pine in that picture too.

Gives it character. :wink2:

I think we saw a lot of that when we were flying together there, plus a lot of abandoned mining railroad timber.

pine beetle kill in the forests are just absolutely depressing ...

Gives it character. :wink2:

I think we saw a lot of that when we were flying together there, plus a lot of abandoned mining railroad timber.

Gotten a little worse since you were here. Not much lodgepole left N of I70 and west of the divide. They are on the east side with a vengence.

Yeah, the Tie Hack areas are really pretty 100 years later.

Back