Failure to take off.

jallen0

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jallen0
This happened close to home at a private airstrip in Boone, NC. Not much to see from the video. When I drove by it a few days ago it was pulled off to the side of the strip, pitched forward in the grass, no nose gear in sight and curled up prop. There are also zero services at this field.

What's the estimated cost to fix this?

https://www.wataugademocrat.com/mul...deo_efa62c30-abee-11e9-a3eb-3b795116c842.html

This happened close to home at a private airstrip in Boone, NC. Not much to see from the video. When I drove by it a few days ago it was pulled off to the side of the strip, pitched forward in the grass, no nose gear in sight and curled up prop. There are also zero services at this field.

https://www.wataugademocrat.com/mul...deo_efa62c30-abee-11e9-a3eb-3b795116c842.html

No telling what the cost would be until it gets on the rack. Looks like it bent the wing and most likely had a prop stop so that'll likely involve a tear down.

Many thousands of dollars I would guess.

Hey it’s better then trying to rotate at all odds get into ground effect and the auger in. Nobody got hurt so Couldn’t have been carrying that much energy at impact.

The Kathryn's Report notes flight phase as "landing".

Yes but they also list the activity as "instruction". I don't know of much instruction with 4 people on board.
I suppose that the end of an RTO could be called "landing". And I've had instruction with a couple of others on board, and I used to ride along on a lot of multi-engine instructional flights.

No way for anyone to know for sure, but here’s my guess...

Prop strike : Engine Teardown and Inspection + any new replacement parts (~35k)

Left wing damage / Re-skin / Fuselage damage : (~12-15k)

Thanks for the estimation. Now, another dumb question. Would any of it be covered by insurance?

Thanks for the estimation. Now, another dumb question. Would any of it be covered by insurance?

I believe they will pay out the hull value or the cost of repairs whichever is lower. However, they will only pay for what's required to get the airplane airworthy again. Meaning they're probably only going to pay for the required engine teardown and inspection- if one is that deep in one might as well make it a full overhaul but they're probably only going to pay for what's required to get the plane into airworthy condition again.

I always wondered if the insurance covered the loss in value due to now having an aircraft with damage history even if repaired properly.

I have to say, looking at it in person, it was a nice looking plane. Looked all crippled nose down in the grass, prop ends curled up, parked off the side at the end of the runway. The cost to fix it might be more than it's worth.

I always wondered if the insurance covered the loss in value due to now having an aircraft with damage history even if repaired properly.
No.
Mine basically says it will be repaired with "similar kind and quality" which means, well, it will be repaired and they'll attempt to make it back to the way it was and that's the extent of it.

Of course. They’ll pay for the repairs needed to make it airworthy or just pay for the hull value, whichever comes first.

A teardown inspection and rebuild is typically around 10k-15k plus any additional components that are required to make it airworthy <ask me how I know :rolleyes:>.

I believe they will pay out the hull value or the cost of repairs whichever is lower. However, they will only pay for what's required to get the airplane airworthy again. Meaning they're probably only going to pay for the required engine teardown and inspection- if one is that deep in one might as well make it a full overhaul but they're probably only going to pay for what's required to get the plane into airworthy condition again.
This.

Your own first-party insurance will not pay for diminution in value to your plane/car/boat if you wreck it, have a fire/hail claim, or damage it somehow by leaving the tow bar attached... Now, if someone else damages your plane/car/boat you can recover diminution in value if your state allows such a claim.

Your own first-party insurance will not pay for diminution in value to your plane/car/boat if you wreck it, have a fire/hail claim, or damage it somehow by leaving the tow bar attached... Now, if someone else damages your plane/car/boat you can recover diminution in value if your state allows such a claim.

So, It sounds like you are better off totaling the plane, if possible.

Not always. Not to get lawyery but the actual cash value, market value, or fair market value (depends on policy and state) of your plane will vary widely and be determined differently by each insurance company. It is highly unlikely that you would receive enough money to buy an exact replacement plane for what your insurance company wants to pay you for your bird. If you like the plane, keep it and fly it. We don't buy planes as investments.

In hindsight.... yes.
But, it's only been 16 months so far.

In my case the requested hull value on the policy is exactly what I paid for it a year earlier. If it had been a loss they would have simply written me a check for that amount and we'd have been done.

Back