Failing folding wing history

valittu

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Marvin
Is there much history in the way of failing folding wings?

There's something about flying behind a wing with an intentional break in it that's nagging my brain. The ONLY thing I don't like about the Onex, that happens to be aerobatic, is the folding wing. Is my apprehension irrational?

Last edited:
If ya gotta ask the question
You already know the answer

Aerobatic gliders have removable wings. If the bolts are correctly inserted, the wings dont fall off.

I have no issue with removable wings. It's the ones that have some patented mechanism that in one position is rigid enough to handle positive and negative Gs and in another can collapse with little effort. Maybe if I acquaint myself with the locking technology it won't bug me so much.

I have yet to see an airplane where the wings aren't removable. Some can be R&Red quicker than others.

The Bonanza (and iirc King Air) wing is held on with two piano hinges and 4 screws.

Folding wings are most dangerous when the pilot doesn't do a pre flight and check the bolts. Remos lost a demo aircraft that way.

I have no issue with removable wings. It's the ones that have some patented mechanism that in one position is rigid enough to handle positive and negative Gs and in another can collapse with little effort. Maybe if I acquaint myself with the locking technology it won't bug me so much.

Most carrier aircraft had (have?) self-folding wings.

The Bonanza (and iirc King Air) wing is held on with two piano hinges and 4 screws.

You're thinking of what holds the wing sections to the wing spar. The assemblies are bolted on with 4 bolts loaded in tension.

The newer kingairs have a clevis type wing fitting where the attach bolts are loaded in shear, not tension.

Okay, I'll rephrase my question.
Any GA history of folding wings failing?

The Remos at Sun & Fun is the only one that comes to mind. It didnt fail but succumbed to user error.

The Fournier RF5 motorglider has folding wings and is approved for some aerobatic maneuvers. Never seen any of those fall off.

Last edited:
*Locked* folding wings don't really fail due to the mechanism. In general designers realize the danger and design in additional strength at the fold points. Look at a Onex with the wing up. It's built like a Sherman tank in there.

The big danger is between the pilot's ears, like the Remos accident. The Onex is dead simple, self-locking, and has an indicator on the top of the wing to show when the wing is unlocked. If it really bothers you, but a pin in the folding mechanism and never fold the wings.

The Onex is a very solid design...it's not going to break unless you break it.

It's not always a *mechanical* failure :eek:

F-8wingsfolded67.jpg

Nauga,
whose beer cans are down ;)

Is there must history in the way of failing folding wings?

There's something about flying behind a wing with an intentional break in it that's nagging my brain. The ONLY thing I don't like about the Onex, that happens to be aerobatic, is the folding wing. Is my apprehension irrational?

Would you be worried in an F-14 or any of the other Grumman Cats ?

The Remos at Sun & Fun is the only one that comes to mind. It didnt fail but succumbed to user error.

The Fournier RF5 motorglider has folding wings and is approved for some aerobatic maneuvers. Never seen any of those fall off.

Actually I recall the Remos incident being at the LSA Show in Sebring but I could be wrong.

Wait.
Did that "Aviator" in that Crusader fold the wings in flight? On purpose? :hairraise:
I would think there would be an interlock of some sort to keep that from happening. That's gotta do wonders for his sink rate.

But he is a Marine so....:D

If it was a ongoing problem then someone would put it to bed.

Just like a rollercoaster- If people kept falling off and dying then it would be hard to stay in business.

Wait.
Did that "Aviator" in that Crusader fold the wings in flight? On purpose? :hairraise:
I would think there would be an interlock of some sort to keep that from happening. That's gotta do wonders for his sink rate.
There *are* measures to prevent it happening in flight, but a determined individual can find a way to *take off* with them folded :rolleyes:
note: It was not intentional but was not a mechanical failure. You be the judge...:rolleyes:

Would you be worried in an F-14 or any of the other Grumman Cats ?
Hmmm...
f14asymetricalsweep.jpg

This one *was* intentional for flight test, but only after it occurred in the fleet due to mechanical failure.

Nauga,
and a little right trim

It's not an issue if designed correctly.

LOL.
Make it "Marine Proof" and they'll build a better Marine.

Seems I heard that the hinge on one of these was prototyped with paperclips and pink pearl erasers.(WWII)

Leroy Grumman figured out the folding wing used on his aircraft with the paper clip and eraser. The idea was patented, and he had the paper clip and eraser enclosed in Lucite and kept it on his desk.

Back