Failed VOR Check?

NealRomeoGolf

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
NRG
I'm sure there are some regs I can go read, but you guys are more fun.

Although I rarely fly IFR via airways VOR to VOR, I like to keep my VOR currency up. So on Monday I was doing my usual Nav 1 and Nav 2 compare while flying. Tune to the same VOR. Note the TO radial, make sure they are within 4 degrees. Usually it is textbook. Within 1 degree or so. Now my 530 is replaced with a 750, so I'm still getting to know things, but the first VOR check, if I remember correctly, was 1 degree difference a few weeks ago.

So this past Monday I was flying along heading south towards Memphis and I pick the FAM VOR to check against. It was 6 degrees off. Had never seen such a difference. Later I checked another one and I was only 1 degree off.

Can I consider my VOR check good because the second check passed? Was FAM just having a bad day?

Aren't you allowed 6 degrees if you're airborn? Or is that the single vor checkpoint method? I always do mine on the taxiway... one of the benefits of having a MON VOR on your field.

Aren't you allowed 6 degrees if you're airborn? Or is that the single vor checkpoint method? I always do mine on the taxiway... one of the benefits of having a MON VOR on your field.
6 degrees for a checkpoint. 4 degrees for nav to nav (radio) check. They got rid of our airborn checkpoint last year. Tower always sounded weirded out when I asked to fly at 2000 feet straight down runway 22. Now they don't get that request from me anymore.

Second check? How can you have a second check when the first one did not exist? ;););)

I wonder if a scalloping VOR signal could cause the difference...

Pretty sure there was a notam for that vor at that exact time. Use another one.

The only one that needs to be correct is the one you are using. VOR maintenance these days leaves a lot to be desired. I’d go where there is a VOT and do another check. Likely there will be no issue.

The requirement isn’t to have accurate radios. It’s to have a logbook entry saying they checked out. It sounds like you’re in good shape.

I'm sure there are some regs I can go read, but you guys are more fun.

Although I rarely fly IFR via airways VOR to VOR, I like to keep my VOR currency up. So on Monday I was doing my usual Nav 1 and Nav 2 compare while flying. Tune to the same VOR. Note the TO radial, make sure they are within 4 degrees. Usually it is textbook. Within 1 degree or so. Now my 530 is replaced with a 750, so I'm still getting to know things, but the first VOR check, if I remember correctly, was 1 degree difference a few weeks ago.

So this past Monday I was flying along heading south towards Memphis and I pick the FAM VOR to check against. It was 6 degrees off. Had never seen such a difference. Later I checked another one and I was only 1 degree off.

Can I consider my VOR check good because the second check passed? Was FAM just having a bad day?
Were you on an Airway? Or just picking a random radial of FAM to compare to? Did you check for unusable radials of FAM? Pretty sure the boring regs say that if you are going to do the compare to each other thing, you’re supposed to be established on an Airway when doing it.

Back