Failed Radio Communications

AveryB21

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Avery B
Can someone tell me the procedures for landing at an uncontrolled airport without communications (radio failure)? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Thanks

Question back to you: What is the regulatory communication requirement for a nontowered airport?

Btw, as a first post, you should at least give us an inkling if your background. It would be a shame to get flamed for asking such a basic question if you are a studen pilot at a towered airport planning a first flight to a nontowered one.

Procedure? No radio is required at non-towered fields.

I only have six hours logged so I'm pretty basic. Thanks for the advice.
Yup, as Ryan said, there are none. In fact, you will probably find a few airplanes at nontowered airports that don't have radios to begin with.

So you do exactly the same things without a radio that you do with one except, of course, more quietly :)

To answer your question...there are zero radio requirements at uncontrolled fields...but there are LOTS of communications recommendations.

Flying NORDO however, a standard pattern and proper entry becomes more critical so that others have a chance of seeing you...so that they can avoid you and you them.

See and avoid is the only requirement!

I actually had to run this scenario in my head and think about the possibilities as on my last flight home my com panel died at my destination 175 miles away from home...so it does happen. After a few minutes of "Oh Crap" and then mentally running through not great options I decided I would rather go home NORDO than be stranded...cuz I could legally and relatively safely.

Luckly my handheld worked like a champ but as someone who ALWAYS flies with Flight Following I was fully mentally prepped to do the XC NORDO if needed or the if handheld crapped out.

Last edited:
Yup. There's plenty of airplanes out there that can't experience "radio failure" because they never had a radio installed to begin with. :)

Flying NORDO however, a standard pattern and proper entry becomes more critical so that others have a chance of seeing you...so that they can avoid you and you them.

See and avoid is the only requirement!

Fly the standard pattern, left or right, as published.
Keep your mouth shut and your eyes open, it's as simple as that.

Fly the standard pattern, left or right, as published.
Keep your mouth shut and your eyes open, it's as simple as that.

Why does he have to keep his mouth shut? :eek:
I mean, how's he gonna scream like he normally does right before he remembers to flare.

let me go get my nomex flight suit on, no tower, i don't use the radio...........

bob

Look at the wind sock. Look for other airplanes in the pattern. Enter the published pattern for the runway that is into the wind the standard way. Look for planes on the runway. Land. If any problems crop up, go around and try again.

As mentioned, no radio requirements. My .02 cents on what I would recommend:

If you are NORDO, chances are you can't get the AWOS/ASOS. Therefor, you may not be able to verify the preferred/in use runway. Unless I was certain as to the runway in use/winds, I would overfly the airport (I'd use 500' above pattern altitude) to verify the winds/runway in use. During that time you can either enter the downwind mixing in with the existing traffic safely or if traffic precludes, go out and enter a 45 to the downwind.

I hate to be this guy but before asking this question on them Ynterwebs without being able to discern which response is actually correct, it might help to read the book from ground school or talk to your CFI.
But most importantly, have fun up there and be safe.

That, I'd have all my lights on (if possible) and be extra vigilant however.
Just remember to turn the wigwag off on the ground....

I freaked out San Carlos Tower once when I went through shutdown procedure facing the tower.

Edit: For those who don't know, a flashing landing light aimed at the tower is a distress signal. As it was, Tower called me on frequency to ask if everything was OK. If I had already turned the radios off, I would have had to answer to the fire trucks, and explain it to the watching CAP cadet parents.

Last edited:
Back