Failed my PPL checkride

texasclouds

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
Aced the oral, did ok on flying portion (passed), then on short field landing I let the left wing come up after touch down. I corrected and right about the time I got all the tires on the runway the dpe was screaming at me to get off the controls. You’re done, you lost control of the airplane. It was ugly but I felt like I had the proper response when it happened.

Reading online today I think I was a little fast at touchdown and not enough aileron crosswind correction. I think I did rush the touchdown to make the spot landing.

Bummed out, but oh well. I have 60 days to retest only the landings portion. I will get some dual in and try again.

Bummed out, but oh well. I have 60 days to retest only the landings portion. I will get some dual in and try again.

Bummed yes but you sound like your not to beaten about it. You have you plan and you know what you did. Just work on it and get back at it, you will def get it next time. Congrats on the oral and good luck on you next go, and let us know how it goes.

Don’t know if this will make you feel better but last week I watched an instructor almost run a plane into the woods on landing. Granted it was extremely bumpy and windy but I guess my point is it can happen to anyone at any time. Coupl’a practice sessions with an instructor and you’ll nail it.

I flew my worst with the examiner. Nervous, tense, worried about doing something wrong. All we had to do is fly around the pattern 3x.

Don’t beat yourself up, it happens. If you corrected the action (which it sounds like you did) than the DPE shouldn’t have exclamed that you lost control imo.

Practice those skills with a CFI and get back on the horse. You’ll get it next time!

No worries! Go get some practice in that area ASAP and reschedule the ride ASAP. All is good.

I flew my worst with the examiner. Nervous, tense, worried about doing something wrong. All we had to do is fly around the pattern 3x.
I've flown with a lot of CFIs over the years, not so many DPEs. But every time, every first flight with any of them, I also feel a case of nerves because I know I'm being evaluated.

Now that the introduction is out of the way, relax, and show the DPE you know what you are doing. Confidence is a big part of the outcome.

Last edited:
I had gear fail to indicate on the very first flight I took in my Lance. My CFI was a DPE. He sat back was like, well, go ahead and figure this out. Oh yea, this was also my HP and Complex check out...... After all the trouble shooting, it was time to shhooot or get off the pot. Was dreading the brthbrthnrthbrrrrttthhhhhh shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sound.

Ended up being a micro switch.

How’s that for a check ride....point being, don’t sweat it. Really. It’s not as hard as you may think it should be. He or she is not there to fail you. They want to pass you. But, some things they cannot over look.

Aced the oral, did ok on flying portion (passed), then on short field landing I let the left wing come up after touch down. I corrected and right about the time I got all the tires on the runway the dpe was screaming at me to get off the controls. You’re done, you lost control of the airplane. It was ugly but I felt like I had the proper response when it happened.

Reading online today I think I was a little fast at touchdown and not enough aileron crosswind correction. I think I did rush the touchdown to make the spot landing.

How much did it come up? Was it bad enough that he grabbed the controls? Or just a nervous DPE. If he did not say, “My Controls!” Then he should expect you to still be flying.

It sounds like you probably were forcing the nose wheel on the ground and wheelbarrowing to some degree (with the other main wheel still on the ground due to the crosswind). A definite symptom of being too fast.

I did this same thing on my second landing after passing my checkride. Was really high and fast on approach and didn’t deal with the problem correctly. I should have slipped or gone around and done it right.

The key to a short field landing is being on the proper speed. With a bit of focused practice you should have no problems finishing it up.

I get wicked test anxiety too. It sucks but you'll nail it for sure next time up with less going on!

Sounds like you already know what you did. A lot ppl touch down and neutralize that aileron. I try to fully deflect upon touchdown to keep that wind from lifting that wing on crosswind landings.
You’ll have that fixed in an hour of t&g with your CFI

If it was easy to become a pilot everybody would be one.

You are just about there. Don't be discouraged. Focus and practice. You'll nail it on the next flight. And become one of a very small cohort that has the enormous privilege of piloting our own airplanes.

Once those wheels are down I put full aileron into the wind and hold it. You were too nervous and the worst the dpe can do to you he did, yelling at you, now you are been there done that, don't be so nervous. You need to have confidence and you need to buy into what you have been taught. It's that simple once you understand it. Make your cfi take you to a crosswind runway and keep landing with a crosswind until you get it. Remember, believe in the lesson, in this case you need to fly the airplane until it is stopped and keep crosswind correction in after you land.

Chin up! Polish up and go again... truth of the matter is ull make landings just as ugly once you have your ticket sometimes. The good thing is you corrected it - you’ll get it.

I’ll admit I’ve lost some of my crosswind smoothness now that I’m in the tailwheel- which is stupid of me to do- but o find myself so focused on my footwork I sometimes fail to roll aileron in as strong and fast as I should... we all have spots that need polishing

Your bust is typical. Rather than pick a perfect low wind day for your test, you decide allow the circumstances push you into demonstrating short and soft field landings and takeoffs with a crosswind.

Your bust is typical. Rather than pick a perfect low wind day for your test, you decide allow the circumstances push you into demonstrating short and soft field landings and takeoffs with a crosswind.
A crosswind did not cause the problem described here, unless it was a 20 knot crosswind component. He was too fast.

A crosswind did not cause the problem described here, unless it was a 20 knot crosswind component. He was too fast.

Sorry, but that is not true. Any times low time pilot is performing a short field or soft field manuever they are operating the aircraft and their ability closer to the edge of the envelope. Add a crosswind and the task become more of a challenge. So why in a flight would an applicant opt to set themselves up for failure?

Generally they lack situational awareness and are over anxious to complete the test.

You aren't the first person to not pass a checkride and you won't be the last. To me, the point of passing a checkride is to demonstrate that you are capable of flying safely. I wouldn't want to pass a checkride by being lucky. Look at the good side of this: it's an opportunity to improve as a pilot. You ARE going to pass your checkride. Be a better pilot for it.

With a 3 knot X wind how the hell did the wind pick up a wing?
It sounds like you probably were forcing the nose wheel on the ground and wheelbarrowing to some degree (with the other main wheel still on the ground due to the crosswind). A definite symptom of being too fast.

I did this same thing on my second landing after passing my checkride. Was really high and fast on approach and didn’t deal with the problem correctly. I should have slipped or gone around and done it right.

The key to a short field landing is being on the proper speed. With a bit of focused practice you should have no problems finishing it up.

C172S, short field checklist says I should have been 62 kts final approach.

Your POH says on Page 4-33,

SHORT FIELD LANDING
For a short field landing in smooth air conditions, make an approach at 61 KIAS with 30° flaps using enough power to control the glide path. (Slightly higher approach speeds should be used under turbulent air conditions.) After all approach obstacles are cleared, progressively reduce power and maintain the approach speed by lowering the nose of the airplane. Touchdown should be made with power off and on the main wheels first. Immediately after touchdown, lower the nose wheel and apply heavy braking as required. For maximum brake effectiveness, retract the flaps, hold the control wheel full back, and apply maximum brake pressure without sliding the tires.

61 KIAS is for 2550 lb gross weight as documented in the short field performance chart. For a lower gross weight use 58-60 KIAS.

Just skimming through. No choice but to get back on the horse & get it done.

Back