Failed my IFR Checkride yesterday...

spdracer888

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
spdracer888
Nah...just messing with ya :D Passed it!

Here are a few things that I learned:
- There's no such thing as a perfect check ride.
- You can only study so much before you drive yourself (and everyone around you) nuts.
- Don't second guess yourself...and don't second guess yourself.
- Use all resources available: for example the DPE asked me to do a flight plan and I asked him if I may do it in Fore Flight? He asked why and I said because Fore Flight can do wind correction more accurately than me AND there's route advisory which gives you the most recent ATC cleared route as you rarely get the route you file. He said no problem.
- Auto Pilot is your friend and foe. Know how to fly approaches by hand and by Auto Pilot. It will help you tremendously in lowering your workload, but also know its limits. The Bendix King KAP140 (aka biggest POS) in the 172 decided to crap out on an ILS coupled approach yesterday...murphy's law. I told my DPE that I'm going to be using AP unless he tells me otherwise.
- If you fly Glass (G1000), know the system inside out. Know how to use Flight Planning and how to fly with raw data. Know all the components (AHRS, Air Data Computer, Nav Updates) and what system feeds what. i.e. I was asked how often do you need to update the database: right answer is every 28 days for 13 cycles except for a leap year, which one cycle will be 29 days.
- I was told not to give too much info during the oral, but I find that if I give a comprehensive answer, I pretty much shut the DPE up from asking more questions about the subject.
- Know your weather and I'm not talking about the 1-2-3 minimum stuff. Know the available weather resources you can turn to for a long x-c flight.
- Even if you don't have answer, if you explain the reasoning behind it, it was considered acceptable.

Good luck to all that are about to take the check ride. :goofy:

Last edited:
Congrats,now go put that ticket to use.

Congrats! Good advice.

Congratulations! I beat myself up going into my IR checkride last year and, at some point, figured "If I don't know it by now, I'm not going to learn it these last few days" and tried to decompress a little (while still reviewing nightly). Turns out I knew most of what I needed to pass and even managed to learn a few things during the checkride. If nothing else, the oral pointed out where I could spend some more time after passing and I made a mistake on the actual ride that I'll never make IRL thanks to the embarrassment of almost failing the checkride because of it.

Sounds like you learned where you can spend some additional time studying/relearning but also proved that you know enough to be a safe pilot in the system. Congrats again and go get that ticket wet!

The KAP140 autopilot is far from a POS.

It's not well integrated into the G1000, but it's still a pretty good altitude-capturing two axis autopilot. Try it with an STEC-50.

The autopilot can be both your friend and your enemy. There is a lot of complexity in the G1000 that you must master -- and it is a LOT worse with the GFC700 due to VNAV. It also has multiple "bust" buttons, the most familiar of which is the CDI button when used on a precision approach.

The KAP140 autopilot is far from a POS.

It's not well integrated into the G1000, but it's still a pretty good altitude-capturing two axis autopilot. Try it with an STEC-50.

The autopilot can be both your friend and your enemy. There is a lot of complexity in the G1000 that you must master -- and it is a LOT worse with the GFC700 due to VNAV. It also has multiple "bust" buttons, the most familiar of which is the CDI button when used on a precision approach.

I was just more frustrated with the timing of when it decided to crap out. :mad2:

I also noticed that it likes to "hunt" quite a bit once established on an approach on a windy day which is something I don't see GFC700 or the DFC 90 do.

Fantastic. Such an accomplishment. Congratulations.

I was just more frustrated with the timing of when it decided to crap out. :mad2:

I also noticed that it likes to "hunt" quite a bit once established on an approach on a windy day which is something I don't see GFC700 or the DFC 90 do.
So does my STEC-20 + VSS. Many other A/Ps do it too.

Congratulations on the new rating, hope you get a chance to "moisten" that ticket soon! :cheers:

I rank getting my instrument ticket among my top 3 most meaningful accomplishments so far in my 58 yo life. I hope it brings you similar satisfaction.

Congratulations! The clouds are no longer brick walls. Be ready for the ice soon.

Rate based autopilots tend to wander a bit in gusty conditions.

Rate based autopilots tend to wander a bit in gusty conditions.

Yep. My STEC 55 got into an oscillation on an ILS into KADS a few weeks ago. I was about to disconnect it but it damped out after 3 or 4 up and down cycles (not diverging). It was very gusty and I went on to make an ungraceful landing. :dunno::yes:

Back