Failed Login Notification on Pilots of America Message Board

FORANE

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FORANE
I received this email:
======================================
Someone has tried to log into your account on Pilots of America Message Board with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 37.147.40.199

All the best,
Pilots of America Message Board
========================================

It wasn't me. Turns out it is somewhere in Russia.
Why would this occur?

Because someone is trying to hack your account here at PoA....

Got the same email today. I suppose they can get access to private messages but who cares? Nothing in mine that has any value to them.

It wasn't me. Turns out it is somewhere in Russia.
Why would this occur?

Because the moderators fail to acknowledge that this is the Pilots of America, not Pilots of Russia, China, Ukraine, Nigeria or whoever else decides to hack. Most localized clubs prevent access from outside IPs for a good reason. We did that in our auto club and haven't had a single hack-attack or spam-attack since.

To speculate as to what the hackers can gain: maybe a "recognized" name on busy boards which they can use to mass-spam other members or post threads with links exploiting dumb users who will click on anything.
Again, mere speculation.
If I actually see a post containing links to scam sites, I report it to the moderators and they have the option to delete it. If it is a repeat offense, they also have the option to warn/suspend the member. If the member's account has been hijacked, then too bad.

Not much that the MC can do about it. It's a pretty crude form of DoS. Hackers try to penetrate anything because they can (or for profit).

Best advice: make sure your password is sufficiently complex and changed often. Or take your chances.

I got the same one last week with an IP address in China. I was flattered that a little Chinese hacker wanted to be me.

There is software out there who hack vBulletin boards for nothing other than injecting spam. VB counters these (as do a few extra security things us board operators do) but there are bots banging on them all the time.

had the same problem about 2 weeks ago

One thing that I like is that the vB SW does not lock out the whole user profile if a series of unsuccessful login attempts is made. Locking out just that one IP is sufficient and usually efficient.

Back