Failed Drug Test 6 Years Ago

Daniel1992

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Daniel
I failed a random drug test for a job I held 6 years ago in 2015 at the age of 22. I was fired; it sucked but I deserved it and I knew I had to quit so I did. Since then I have enlisted in the Air Force, disclosed the failed test to the the government, and have passed all subsequent drug tests.

Nearing the end of my enlistment, I now want to become a missionary pilot and have been researching how to accomplish this goal. I planned to begin civilian flight school in 2022.

However, as I learned more about the FAA medical certificate it occurred to me that this failed test is a potential obstacle as I will have to mark "yes" on question 18(n) on FAA Form 8500-8.

I'm looking for any help, advice, or guidance on how to navigate this the right way. If it is impossible to fly with a failed drug test so be it, I just want to know one way or the other whether I should drop this pursuit and find something else.

Am I wasting my time? Could I still be granted a medical certificate? Who do I contact to start this process? What documentation will I need?

I apologize if my thread is misplaced as this is my first post here. I'm just looking for somewhere to start or someone who can provide some insight on this issue.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back