3rd class medical with prior failed drug test?

hope2fly1day

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Hope2fly1day
looking for guidance. 18 years ago I failed a drug test in the marine corps for THC. I’ve had no history of any substance abuse or criminal charges since. I’m assuming this would cause my exam to be referred to the FAA, but would I potentially be approved...with or without additional hoops? If with hoops, what would they be?

First, read this about obtaining a consultation visit with the AME before doing a "live" exam.

https://tinyurl.com/ame-consult

A consultation with an AME who is willing to help you (versus just pushing FAA paper) will aid in finding out 1) your chance of success and 2) what information and documentation the FAA might want to see.

Keep in mind that while many here are willing to provide info and opinions, both helpful and some critical, unless we have "AME" as part of our credentials, we are just part of the SGOTI crowd.

One of the few that will provide the right and proper guidance and is one of the best at the AME job is @bbchien also known as Dr. Bruce Chien. If you need his assistance or wish to ask your question directly, he can be reached via his website, www.aeromedicaldoc.com

One thing to have at hand is your service record, with the information about the failed drug test and any consequences marked for easy finding.

Doing so will make it much easier for the doc and you as the situation is reviewed and discussed.

One thing to have at hand is your service record, with the information about the failed drug test and any consequences marked for easy finding.

Doing so will make it much easier for the doc and you as the situation is reviewed and discussed.
All Documents pertaining to any actions against you after the test (punishment/psychological help) you will need a full HIMS (I BELIEVE ITS CALLED THAT) COUPLE GRAND FOR THAT TREATMENT Plus a hand full of clean urinal test they call you test. Mine happened in 1985 going into the US Navy MEPS CENTER I was 18yrs old I received no punishment for that time I served the Navy passing all urinalysis test..Then I failed a pre employment test in 16 to 17 years ago how I don't know hadn't had THC in 2.5 months prior. Never had been in legal trouble with it..never failed probation urinalysis test. I was told by Dr.Bruce C. The above would be required minimum. What is funny is they don't do a urinalysis for a 3rd class medical. But fail a test 16yrs ago. That's a problem. But drink all the booze and other little pills you want. Alcohol effects last longer and kills more folks then THC. BUT IT'S SAFER? Just MY events.

Last edited:
@hope2fly1day ... as said before, seek the guidance from an AME such as Dr. Bruce Chien.

Dr. Bruce is ex Navy, so he understands the whats/why's of how the armed forces do things. And how it propagates over to the civilian FAA.

It could be no big deal.

It could be a VERY big deal.

But someone who really knows how the FAA medical system ticks, such as Dr. Bruce, aka @bbchien, will be the best one to advise you on how to proceed.

It blows my mind that something that long ago will be easily discoverable. I get it though. For my third class I did a urine test. Assumed it was for drugs. But maybe just for sugar?.?
Let say OP truly forgot about that and applies for a medical, does the FAA automatically background check that far?.?
Let me state for the record that I am in no way suggesting he do that!! I all for being above board here. But one could easily forget about something from 20 years ago.

It blows my mind that something that long ago will be easily discoverable.

It may not be easily or even discoverable. However, it’s about falsifying a federal document.

If you’re willing to lie to the FAA on a medical, what else are you willing to lie to them about.

A large part of our aviation rules come down to integrity. And integrity is about doing what’s right, even when no one is looking.

Is the question “have you ever used” or “have you ever failed a test”?

sugar and protein ( albumin ).

If i were the AME in this case i would issue, and 'explain away' an 18 year old issue. Airman would likely get a 'continue to be a good airman' confirmation ltr. Case closed!

This poster IS an AME, OP you might want to make contact with him.

It may not be easily or even discoverable. However, it’s about falsifying a federal document.

If you’re willing to lie to the FAA on a medical, what else are you willing to lie to them about.

A large part of our aviation rules come down to integrity. And integrity is about doing what’s right, even when no one is looking.

Agreed. I’m not suggesting that for even a moment. Lying on a federal form can and will likely come back to bite you one way or another.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back