Failed DOT Drug Test

N

noah

Hey guys, I'll try and keep this brief. I have been an aircraft dispatcher the last several years. About a year ago I failed a DOT pre employment drug test. Obviously, a huge mistake and I have been sober since. I completed the return to duty process as well with a DOT Substance Abuse Professional so at least I can work in a safety sensitive position. But recently I have really wanted to fly again (I have commercial certificate, etc.). The main problem is I dont have $15K to shell out for a HIMS AME. Also, another issue at hand is that I am on SSRIs....Any options for me?

When was your last medical? BasicMed might be an option.

Not so fast on BasicMed, there’s not enough info to know if OP requires a one-time SI.

(iv) A substance dependence within the previous 2 years, as defined in § 67.307(a)(4) of this chapter.

14 CFR 67.307 (a)

(4) Substance dependence, except where there is established clinical evidence, satisfactory to the Federal Air Surgeon, of recovery, including sustained total abstinence from the substance(s) for not less than the preceding 2 years. As used in this section -

(i) “Substance” includes: alcohol; other sedatives and hypnotics; anxiolytics; opioids; central nervous system stimulants such as cocaine, amphetamines, and similarly acting sympathomimetics; hallucinogens; phencyclidine or similarly acting arylcyclohexylamines; cannabis; inhalants; and other psychoactive drugs and chemicals; and

(ii) “Substance dependence” means a condition in which a person is dependent on a substance, other than tobacco or ordinary xanthine-containing (e.g., caffeine) beverages, as evidenced by -

(A) Increased tolerance;

(B) Manifestation of withdrawal symptoms;

(C) Impaired control of use; or

(D) Continued use despite damage to physical health or impairment of social, personal, or occupational functioning.

He better watch out if it qualifies as "substance dependence." That's one of the "must do SI first" conditions.
True. But it's a 2 year lookback, not a forever condition. It times out rather quickly.

Nothing in aviation is cheap. I would be instead working in ensure success fo this >$3.5K attempt. Get to a HIMS AMe and get on a private FAA spec. urine montoring program. Get 6 months under the belt B4 you go. the last thing you want from the evaluator is "I recommend sobriety". that gets you....noplace.

Nothing in aviation is cheap. I would be instead working in ensure success fo this >$3.5K attempt. Get to a HIMS AMe and get on a private FAA spec. urine montoring program. Get 6 months under the belt B4 you go. the last thing you want from the evaluator is "I recommend sobriety". that gets you....noplace.
Don't forget he is also on SSRI's. OP didn't say how long or what type. Also, OP didn't mention if he wanted a 2nd class again or just a 3rd class.

I assume if he needs to go back to get a SI because of the DOT test, he'll have to deal with the SSRI's / get an SI to cover that as well.

Is a successful outcome possible with that combination? I have no idea. Our POA medical experts would be much better of guess on the time and money needed for that.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back