FAA's new web page

Kind of like Costco, as soon as you think you remember where something is they move it.

What is it with webpages that requires them to be completely altered and redesigned every six months? Why can't they just leave the darn things alone? All I want is for the hyperlinks I laboriously bothered to locate and save in the past to continue to work in the future.

The old AD listing page is way way better than this busy looking, steamy pile of you know what

graphics-dog-poo-469295.jpg

There, I've said my piece

The old AD listing page is way way better than this busy looking, steamy pile of you know what

graphics-dog-poo-469295.jpg

There, I've said my piece

I kinda liked it. it's simple enough for pilots and owners to use.

Well to discuss it seriously here are some of the specifics I don't like about the new page:

With the old page you could just click on the By Make link on the left side then click on the first letter in the A-Z row at the top then find the manufacturer's name and click the arrow next to it to expand the list after which you pick the specific model and again click on the arrow to expand that and there was the entire AD list, single spaced across a single page. You could click on any of the AD numbers to open that specific AD. You could also copy and paste the entire list into an Excel spreadsheet and clicking on any of the AD numbers would automatically open your browser and link you to the AD.

So look at the new page - you have to type in something and hope you don't misspell it. If you get that right you get this horizontally scrunched down list in which the AD number and everything else is truncated into vertical buckets like this

2009-
10-09
R2

It's completely asinine. The AD number isn't even a hyperlink, it doesn't even open the actual AD.

Obviously I don't have a lot of affinity for webpage designers. I think there products are almost universally unnecessarily cluttered, unintuitive and busy looking. So be it, but for gosh sakes once you have created your mess and I have found the links I need and figured out how to navigate through the quagmire

LEAVE IT ALONE :mad2:

Last edited:
I don't like it.

I'd rather "browse," not "search." Sometimes I don't know what I don't know.

Kind of like Costco, as soon as you think you remember where something is they move it.

What is it with webpages that requires them to be completely altered and redesigned every six months? Why can't they just leave the darn things alone? All I want is for the hyperlinks I laboriously bothered to locate and save in the past to continue to work in the future.

Obviously the web designers are very good marketeers and the people responsible for approving the designs are idiots.

Just tried the new web page ,I liked it. Found it easy to use.

Here is an example of a spreadsheet into which the list from the old webpage is simply copied and pasted, no typing of anything required. The first column containing the AD numbers are hyperlinks, if you click on one in Excel it will automatically open your browser and take you directly to the AD text. The columns to the right of "Description" are additional fields used to create an AD compliance report.

Example1 is a screen shot from the old webpage. Navigation to that page requires no typing of any information.

Example2 is a spreadsheet into which the info on the page has been copied and pasted. Again, no typing necessary.

Example3 is a screenshot from the new webpage for the same AD search obtained by typing the name of what you want into a search box. It uses eight pages to display the same list.

Anyone still think the new page is better? :dunno:

Attachments

• example1.pdf
    149.4 KB · Views: 7
  • example2.pdf
    19.7 KB · Views: 5
  • example3.pdf
    177.3 KB · Views: 4
FYI - I let my feelings on this be known with a feedback email from the new site to which I received a reply: There is no plan to eliminate or migrate the original RGL website pages into the new site so everyone should be happy :)

Back