Faa written

TRC1969

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TRC
About to take my written test. I have used the King program. All is well I’m scoring high 80’s low 90’s on all practice tests. However I have a question. Has anyone experienced incorrect answers on the actual test or ground school software? I have found two instances with VOR questions where the answer was very clear but not available in the choices. One answer was clearly 208 but the correct answer indicated was 200. Are there mistakes on the test? Do I just need to memorize these particular questions and answers? Not a big deal I’ll pass but just wondering. Thanks

I don't know the answer, but I did have one student a few years ago who had just one wrong answer, and he was convinced that the test "correct" answer was wrong, not him.

First: is there a errata page at the back of the material or addendum online? There could always be the possibility the answer is wrong. It’s just as likely you are, however…or the question is just awkward & misinterpreted. King has been around for a long time & a lot of people take their courses. Have you contacted them?

Years ago I complained to the testing center that there was a bad question on one of my faa written tests. There were no correct answers. The testing center contacted the main office and that question was removed from the test. This does not happen often, but if you see it...tell someone at the testing center.

Thanks for the response from all of you. It’s not an issue I’ll pass regardless of those particular questions. I will contact King on Monday and let them know. It may save someone else
Some grief in the future.

To clarify my response above, there are some questions on the PP knowledge test that require calculations that produce an answer that is not one of the choices provided but is much closer to one choice than the other options. In those instances chose the closest option to your correct calculation.

The FAA is not providing the questions or the possible answers on the King or any other practice test, although some of the questions you get on the actual written test may be in the question bank used for the actual FAA test.

Last edited:
About to take my written test. I have used the King program. All is well I’m scoring high 80’s low 90’s on all practice tests. However I have a question. Has anyone experienced incorrect answers on the actual test or ground school software? I have found two instances with VOR questions where the answer was very clear but not available in the choices. One answer was clearly 208 but the correct answer indicated was 200. Are there mistakes on the test? Do I just need to memorize these particular questions and answers? Not a big deal I’ll pass but just wondering. Thanks
Of course there are mistakes on the practice and the real tests. There are also "closest," "least wrong," and "best" answers. Even questions that are downright stupid. All to be expected. Nature of this gatekeeper test.

@write-stuff knows of a case where a test-taker was scored as having two questions wrong. The test-taker was sufficiently confident so as to challenge the items. The items were reviewed, and a new score of 100% was awarded.

@write-stuff knows of a case where a test-taker was scored as having two questions wrong. The test-taker was sufficiently confident so as to challenge the items. The items were reviewed, and a new score of 100% was awarded.
Yes, this happened about 5 years ago. I can't remember if it was one question or two, but the student was able to get AFS-630 to do a manual review of her test results and did award her a changed score to 100%.

I, too, can tell stories about people wasting time and effort for no discernable benefit.

I got 100% on my PPL written, so if there were questions without correct answers, I answered correctly wrong! (Or is that "wrong correctly"?)

On another note, I just barely passed my instrument written. I had numerous questions that when I computed my answer, there was nothing even remotely close, so I guessed on a bunch, and passed with like a 73%. Either way, after getting 100%, AND after getting 73%, I got through both the practical portions just fine.

The question from the OP was, "Are there mistakes on the test?" The answer is that "YES" there have been. This is documented.

The thing that I find interesting about some of the subsequent discussion that followed regarded whether the person who reported the errors extracted meaningless benefit. It seems to me that the real implication is that problems were reported according to an established process and presumably corrected. This makes it less likely that some test-taker who was likely to score at around 70% would fail owing to a stray but chronically unreported flaw in an answer key. It sounds to me that the discernable benefits extend beyond the test-taker who reported the errors and are meaningful at a broader level.

Also, how many posts on POA reflect wasted effort with no discernable benefit (mine included)?!

To clarify my response above, there are some questions on the PP knowledge test that require calculations that produce an answer that is not one of the choices provided but is much closer to one choice than the other options. In those instances chose the closest option to your correct calculation.

I found several questions like that (often the ones that require calculations and math) on my written for sports pilot, PPL, and instrument tests. The correct answer would be: pick the one closest to the correct answer.

The instrument shepherd test prep had at least ten (out of a thousand) questions with known wrong answers - their advice was to try to remember the mistakes and move on

it’s pretty unlikely to get ten on one test and therefore fail if you don’t score 100% on the other questions

good luck

besides, whatever you get wrong on the written will be reviewed on the practical by the dpe

Yep, all the tests I have taken have quirky or incorrect answers…PPL IR FOI AGI IGI FIA FII CAX ATM. Enjoy!

Use your test results as a learning opportunity, study up, then move on to oral and checkride. Good luck!

King has very good customer support (or at least they did). Did you contact them on the ones you had in question?

Note, that most of these questions came straight from the FAA. You have to understand that the FAA knowledge tests are both horrendously poorly written, mostly of dubious relevance, and not even proofread.

Back