FAA video: Pearson Field Procedures

Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
Last fall FAA proposed new restrictive procedures at KVUO (Pearson Field, Vancouver, WA) because of its close proximity to KPDX (Portland International), citing both wake turbulence and TCAS RA concerns. Fortunately that ill-advised proposal was withdrawn thanks to the input of many local pilots, the City of Vancouver, Clark County, Portland ATC, local and state elected officials, and members of Congress, including no less than five U.S. senators.

The discussions raised by that proposal led to a Safety Risk Management Panel process in December 2012. That SRMP generated sound, reasonable recommendations for procedures by pilots and ATC. They are summarized in an excellent online FAA slideshow/video here: http://www.cityofvancouver.us/sites/default/files/Archives/pearson/Pearson_Briefing.htm

The presentation begins with an interesting overview and history of Pearson Field (that's my Sport Cub in the video on page 3), and an overview of the SRMP process. Then it covers basics of airspace rules and wake turbulence, then beginning at page 35 addresses specific procedures at Pearson. Included are audio recordings and animations of actual TCAS RA events involving Pearson. These are important in order to understand the concerns of some regarding traffic conflicts in the area, why the dreaded "Pearson Box" was proposed in the first place, and how we can help to avoid such problems in the future.

FAA did a very nice job with this. Take a look at this presentation if you're based at KVUO, plan to fly there, or if you want to see some of the most unusual airspace issues and procedures in the country ... or if you just want to see my airplane! ;D

A very well done, clearly stated presentation.....Would it be snide of me to assume it was done on contract by an outside vendor???? :dunno:

Very good presentation. I learned new things about operating at VUO from it. I may have to fly down sometime.

Flew into VUO on a whim one day. Figured I'd just get FF and cruise in, ATC dropped me like a bad habit about 2 miles away from the PDX Class, C (I was at altitude, not below the shelf). I had to do a steep turn to miss the airspace and descend. They had a friendly tower guy sitting in a makeshift tower on top of a flatbed trailer, who guided me in. It is CLOSE to PDX, leaving him there would have been a good idea IMHO.

leaving him there would have been a good idea IMHO.
That's the solution we were lobbying for. FAA said no, and now there's no way it'll happen in the current budget mess.

The temporary tower was only there because reconstruction of PDX 10R/28L routed more heavy traffic our way. After that project was complete FAA kept the tower here another six months to gather data on the airspace issues, then closed it 4/1/2012.

Back