FAA: Top ten accident causes

Excellent video. The fellow conducting the show and tell I thought was VERY good and very knowledgeable. I liked it a lot!

I thought the top ten accident causes according to the FAA were:

10. Pilot error
9. Pilot error
8. Pilot error
7. Pilot error
6. Pilot error
5. Pilot error
4. Pilot error
3. Pilot error
2. Pilot error

and the #1 accident cause according to the FAA is ......

Pilot error.

Or is that NTSB?

Last edited:
i think you missed pilot error as causing accidents

10. Pilot error
9. Pilot error
8. Pilot error
7. Pilot error
6. Pilot error
5. Pilot error
4. Pilot error
3. Pilot error
2. Pilot error

Pilot error.

Or is that NTSB?

10. Pilot error
9. Pilot error
8. Pilot error
7. Pilot error
6. Pilot error
5. Pilot error
4. Pilot error
3. Pilot error
2. Pilot error

Being a doctor.

Or is that NTSB?

Fixed :yes:

It was a good presentation. Hard to imagine that the helicopter had a mid air with the 172 so hard to take the guy's headset and head with the Helo and not notice it.

It was a good presentation. Hard to imagine that the helicopter had a mid air with the 172 so hard to take the guy's headset and head with the Helo and not notice it.

I thought that, too. seems like that would have jerked the copter pretty good.

Very interesting, thanks.

10. Pilot error
9. Pilot error
8. Pilot error
7. Pilot error
6. Pilot error
5. Pilot error
4. Pilot error
3. Pilot error
2. Pilot error

Pilot error.

Or is that NTSB?

Yes, but WHY did the pilot make an error is the question.

Fuel exhaustion pilot error
Flight into terrain pilot error
Loss of control. Pilot error
All boils down to pilot error

Scariest one from the video, for me, was the twin video in the flight simulator. Does a vmc rollover really happen that fast?

Thanks for posting. I thought I wanted to fly a twin.... now..... I am not so sure.

I don't know much about twins -- in the simulation, should the pilot have waited to rotate after the airspeed indicator got up to the red marking?

I have to admit I was stunned by the twin rollover as well..........having spent 15-20 hours in the right seat tooling around in one a few years ago with my son. Twin piston drivers are very busy.....a lot going on........

Scariest one from the video, for me, was the twin video in the flight simulator. Does a vmc rollover really happen that fast?
I am multi rated but neither proficient or experienced.

It looked like the twin took off and started to climb below Vmc (redline) and the right engine (possibly the non-critical one) quit below Vmc. In that situation, assuming full gross and a CG near the rear of the allowable range, it is not controllable and rollover will happen that fast, in my uninformed opinion.

If the engine failure was anticipated and the working engine was immediately chopped, crashing more or less straight ahead was a possibility. Especially if it was at less than full gross and the CG was forward.

I thought the procedure was to accelerate past Vmc before rotating in which case pushing the nose down and immediately feathering the failed engine could result in a 'save'. Hopefully resulting in acceleration to blue line in ground effect and a slow climb away.

I'm thinking that pulling it off before redline is "picking up a package by its string" and the string broke.

Twin folks, is my analysis accurate in theory?

10. Pilot error
9. Pilot error
8. Pilot error
7. Pilot error
6. Pilot error
5. Pilot error
4. Pilot error
3. Pilot error
2. Pilot error

Pilot error.

Or is that NTSB?

The FAA always blames the pilot. The NTSB always blames the FAA for not implementing their recommended changes, which would have prevented the pilot error.

I don't know much about twins -- in the simulation, should the pilot have waited to rotate after the airspeed indicator got up to the red marking?

Yes, in the 310 Vmc is 85 and Vr is 92, if you add the VGs, Vmc falls to below stall speed.

My point was that a twin will depart RAPIDLY if you let it get into the coffin corner. More rapidly than a single.
FYI, the 'coffin corner' is a term that applies to airplanes with airspeed indicators that measure Mach....ie jets.

1200 total accidents, of which 4 are mid air collisions (numbers from 22nd Nall Report) - how do mid air collisions make it on a list of top 10 accident causes?

FYI, the 'coffin corner' is a term that applies to airplanes with airspeed indicators that measure Mach....ie jets.

FYI, "coffin corner" applies to a number of different aircraft, in different ways.

Not too many helos have airspeed indicators which measure Mach, yet the phrase is used to indicate a speed/altitude combination which makes autorotation unlikely. Prior to helos, the phrase meant airspeed/altitude combos in which stalls or departure were likely without enough altitude for recovery, and that's how I learned it (and used it here).

1200 total accidents, of which 4 are mid air collisions (numbers from 22nd Nall Report) - how do mid air collisions make it on a list of top 10 accident causes?

:confused: I can think of 3 mid airs just here in south Florida off the top of my head in the last couple of years.

One in northern virginia last month or so. One was a bonanza. Both planes piloted by faa employees as I recall.

Three seconds of terror for the occupants. Wow!

They were on their way back to the field after developing engine trouble, and spun into a school, killing several kids.

Interestingly, the Phil news reported that this same plane had crashed in New York. The pilot reported backfiring and loss of power then, as well as on an earlier flight. After the accident, the plane was written off as unrepairable.

http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=134112

If one makes the categories general enough, then the total list of categories becomes so short that low probability events make the top ten.

I think that is the case here.

Back