FAA Shuts Down Western US Airspace?!?!?

When does a ground stop require an airborne aircraft to immediately land at the nearest airfield?

When would a ground stop be broadcast on guard?

Only ever been done once. I don't recall guard transmissions, except for intercepts. Lots of phone calls were made that day.

Only ever been done once. I don't recall guard transmissions, except for intercepts. Lots of phone calls were made that day.

A ground stop and partial implementation of SCATANA are two entirely different things.

The military-security industrial complex trying to justify how important they are for protecting us, think of the children man. If they didn't scare us every once in a while we might start to question the $80 billion a year plus military costs to keep us "safe." It has become big business.

I bet Dear Leader Kim the Third got a little woody when he heard that he scared the USA into doing this. Well done! SMH.

Problem is it’s not that the USA was scared. It’s just that we know when the fat kid launches a rocket, he doesn’t even know where it’s going to go!

Yeah. Violence is almost never the right answer. But the world would be way better off if we flattened the fat kid. It would only take one of those high tech things we designed in the 60's and planted in the midwest.

The military-security industrial complex trying to justify how important they are for protecting us, think of the children man. If they didn't scare us every once in a while we might start to question the $80 billion a year plus military costs to keep us "safe." It has become big business.

80?? Try 700+

Yeah. Violence is almost never the right answer. But the world would be way better off if we flattened the fat kid. It would only take one of those high tech things we designed in the 60's and planted in the midwest.
Sometimes violence is the answer.

To paraphrase, A man sleeps safe in this bed because another man is willing to do harm to protect.
I used to be a liberal pacifist when I was young and sure of things but then I pulled my head out of my butt. The view is better now.

Last edited:
To paraphrase, A man sleeps safe in this bed because another man is willing to do harm to protect.
I used to be a liberal pacifist when I was young and sure of things but then I pulled my head out of my butt. The view is better now.
Me too. Paraphrasing again, if a man is not a liberal at 20, he has no heart. If he's not a conservative at 40, he has no brain.

As far as I know, there still is no legal requirement to have a radio at all in non-rule airspace.
But does that absolve you from following the directive? It obviously should, but we're talking about the US Gov't here ...

Sorta the opposite of getting the President OFF the ground to ensure his security during a national emergency.

A ground stop and partial implementation of SCATANA are two entirely different things.
Ground stop is a thing that can be used during a SCATANA. Just because it's done for security reasons rather than for flow control doesn't change the name. There was a nationwide Ground Stop on 9/11.

Ground stop is a thing that can be used during a SCATANA. Just because it's done for security reasons rather than for flow control doesn't change the name. There was a nationwide Ground Stop on 9/11.
Does a ground stop compel airborne aircraft to land ASAP, of does it just prevent takeoffs?

I know. Ground stops happen routinely outside of SCATANA. As for 9/11, I was there with NORAD Battle Staff going through each of the components of SCATANA that would be implemented. Closing the National Airspace System is a separate action from a Ground Stop.

I go back to my original question, when does a ground stop apply to airborne aircraft?

I know. Ground stops happen routinely outside of SCATANA. As for 9/11, I was there with NORAD Battle Staff going through each of the components of SCATANA that would be implemented. Closing the National Airspace System is a separate action from a Ground Stop.

I go back to my original question, when does a ground stop apply to airborne aircraft?
Am I missing something here? Are you asking because you don’t know? Or because you know of something where ‘Ground Stop’ does apply to airborne aircraft? The only thing I can think of is giving an aircraft that has departed VFR and is requesting clearance to an airport for which a Ground Stop has been made. Like Ground Stop all aircraft to KSFO. To late to stop it on the ground, but the Ground Stop is what will cause the plane to not get the clearance,

Back