FAA Shutdown

Graueradler

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Graueradler
FAA funding runs out at midnight tonight. It looks like congress has not been able to provide either a long term funding authorization or a 21st continuing resolution. Controllers and safety inspectors continue to work. All others are furloughed. All FAA funded construction projects grind to a halt.

Additional info from National Association of State Aviation Officials (NASAO)

FYI – more info on FAA status.

Greetings,

While Henry is on his way to Oshkosh, I participated in a call with FAA Associate Administrator for Airports Christa Fornartto and Deputy Associate Administrator Kate Lang regarding the possible FAA shutdown. Kate specifically asked the associations on the call to pass the following information on to our members.

It appears Congress is heading to an impasse that requires the shutdown of AIP, F&E, and Research. What to expect Monday morning:

Front Line Service
· The Office of Airports will close for all except essential safety personnel.
· ADO managers will be in the office Monday morning to supervise and orderly shutdown. Once that happens the ADO’s will be completely closed.
· Regionally – everyone is furloughed except safety work force related to Part 139.
· DC HQ – Only Christ, Kate, and Matt will be on deck and have very limited ability, basically they are there to turn the lights back on.
· Normal routine activities will NOT be performed during the furlough.

Emergencies
If you are anticipating an emergency or problem for next week or two you MUST contact the field office TODAY!

Grants
· FAA began shutting down grant action yesterday
· FAA working with handful of grants that have been extended to have them executed before shutdown.
· No new grant activity during shutdown.
· Payment received using automated ECHO system should continue as long as ECHO is functioning, but no guarantee.
· No manual payment
· If ECHO goes down associations will be advised so we can advise members.

Standup after Shutdown
How long it takes to restart after the shutdown depends on the length of the shutdown and the nature of the legislation, but as quickly as possible with the most critical first.

FY2011
FAA has posted a notice to the Federal Register expected to publish Wednesday, July 27 notifying airport sponsors they are to notify the ADO what they plan on doing with entitlements by either an application or carry over. That’s a little vague, we will watch for the notice. Bottom line – very important airport sponsors follow the instructions of the notice. FAA will be on very short timeline at the end of the year to obligate funds.

Please pass this on to your airports.

If you have questions, please call and I’ll do my best to answer.

And, as always we’ll keep you informed as we hear of developments.

Kathryn Solee
Director of Operations
National Association of State Aviation Officials (NASAO)
Reagan National Airport
Hangar 7, Suite 218
Washington, DC 20001
Direct: 703-417-1884
Fax: 703-417-1885
www.nasao.org
ksolee@nasao.org

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see how this affects the FAA presence at KOSH. The tower will still be in operating, but what about presentations in the FAA Safety Building? Meet the Administrator?

Sounds like a step in the right direction to me....what am I missing?

Sounds like a step in the right direction to me....what am I missing?

New approaches? New aircraft types? Approval for airplane modifications? Maintenance of radios/VORs? Pilot certificates? Medicals?

It can stay shut down until I need to take my checkride, then it can open back up for a few weeks.

If they are shut down for good, why do you need a check ride? Just climb in and go. Keep a sharp eye out for others doing the same thing. See and avoid will take on a whole new special meaning for everyone, even those on the ground. You know, falling debris and such.

John

New approaches? New aircraft types? Approval for airplane modifications? Maintenance of radios/VORs? Pilot certificates? Medicals?

With no FAA, none of that would be required, would it? You could just go ahead and do whatever you want, anytime you want. The only downside would be, so could everyone else.

John

With no FAA, none of that would be required, would it? You could just go ahead and do whatever you want, anytime you want. The only downside would be, so could everyone else.

John

Yeah, and how would you come up with a safe instrument approach? Follow in Jeppesen's wake and roll your own?:yikes:

Well, they've created a need for themselves now with the Aircraft Registration renewals, other than that. :confused:

:D

It's a swell daydream, but we all know, and they all know, it ain't no how permanent.

They do not spend years and years building any bureaucracy and then just shut it down. It's against all the rules of bureaucratic behavior. Maybe for a few days for the sake of theatrics, but that's about all.

Nope, they are all ours for good, or at least until all of them have to shut down permanently due to their own gargantuan weight.

John

Last edited:
So, I'm thinking about having an emergency next week, but since I didn't get prior approval, I guess that's not authorized now?
:D

Since my medical is expired and the FAA is/will be closed I can just go flying any ways right:D

Anyone know if the FSDO will be closed? we need to re-certify our Part 145 Repair Station next week.
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
There are FAA aspects that could use vast improvement/simplification/etc. However, the Airports Division is the conduit for federal funding (AIP) of the improvements to airports that you all enjoy flying into and out of. I can only speak based on my experience with the southwest division out of Fort Worth. These people are competent and as un-bureaucratic as they are allowed to be. They have been a pleasure to work with over the time that I have been involved in airport management. Users of Russellville Regional (KRUE) have greatly benefited from their involvement.

Special issuance need re-up by August 1? Not done yet?

We'll see as of 7/25/11 if anyone's at the other end of the phone....

Shut down will have little effect on us. AME's will go right on issuing medicals. Flight reviews will continue. ATC will operate per normal. Only the stuff that is not needed will be shut down. I will be surprised if this lasts more that a week. What would they do if they stay down for an extended time and nobody noticed? This is just politics and will not effect GA or even 135 and 121 operators.

I flew commercial today (Southwest). Do I get a refund on the taxes? :idea:

Well, ronnie, you must not be on a special issuance medical. Good for you. :) Hard on the ~600 airmen I look after.

Bruce, I will stand corrected if it creates a problem for you. Keep us advised as I am interested in the outcome. For now I do not believe anything will be shut down that makes a difference.

Under what authority are the airlines collecting the taxes on behalf of the FAA? (not that I disagree with your conclusion:mad2:)

Statutory and regulatory mandates don't end just because someone isn't in that week to monitor the EFT transactions.

On the other hand some taxes themselves might be linked to an authorization bill.

Last edited:
Bruce, I will stand corrected if it creates a problem for you. Keep us advised as I am interested in the outcome. For now I do not believe anything will be shut down that makes a difference.
The admin. asst. to the boss said to me, "Call in on monday, if we're here it'll be good news. We have no idea." She WOULD be in the know, and I hope you're right. May 12th and 13th were nutso days as every airman who needed reauthorization by May 31 was on the phone and I got SEVEN approved in an exhausting day, that day.

So...my medical exam is this week. Will that have any influence?

Nope. The certification computer shouldn't crash. This assumes you don't have a special issuance held by OKC (as opposed to an "AME assisted" one).

It's a win-win for the airlines. Congress will require back collection of the taxes after this is over. They do it every time. Think about if you're the airline company and you did not collect it....never mind the constitution.

Statutory and regulatory mandates don't end just because someone isn't in that week to monitor the EFT transactions.

On the other hand some taxes themselves might be linked to an authorization bill.
The statutory authorization for the FAA to collect the taxes ended at midnight Friday, hence the need for the reauthorization.

Just heard from NAFI that a whole bunch of FAA folks that were going to be presenting cancelled on Friday, so they're looking for help at KidVenture.

I think the IACRA service is run by a contractor. I wonder if contractors are supposed to shut down, too?

For now, IACRA is still working. I filled out an application tonight (Sunday).

Last edited:
Contractors not doing "critical" work get told to go home. Legally, they are working at risk with no guarantee they'll ever get paid.

Hmm, as someone who is currently waiting for the plastic certificate to be processed Real Soon Now I wonder how much longer I will be waiting.

The really ridiculous thing about this is squabbling over $15 million per year in rural air service subsidies has resulted in the end of the airline ticket excise taxes that bring in $200 million in revenue every *week*. So even if the shutdown ends after just one day the aviation transport trust fund will already have lost almost twice as much as the amount the political hissy fit is over. Sigh.

Back