FAA shut down my 3M aircraft graphic film.

Discussion in 'Maintenance Bay' started by John Richardson, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Bell206

Bell206 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bell206
    3M has a number of options with each one having their own pros/cons. What exactly are you trying to protect the leading edge from?

2. Skymac

Skymac Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Justin
    It’s an older fabric and paint aircraft in very good health for its age but there are some some cracks in the paint and over time I’ve got some chipping. Bugs and cleaning doesn’t help so a protective covering is in mind.

3. Bell206

Bell206 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bell206
    Keep in mind since it's a fabric wing any self-adhesive tape/vinyl you install will probably damage the finish/fabric when removed after an extended time. And considering none of the 3M tapes have an indefinite life span, with some much less, you may want to pursue an alternate route. Depending on the fabric system used, you may want to look at a re-prep/paint of the leading edges followed by a protective wax or an applied coating like Rejex.

Skymac likes this.
  4. bkspero

bkspero Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    bkspero
    I used clear 3M paint protection film on the front of my fixed gear nose strut and around the holes in the side of the nose gear wheel pant (where the tow bar attaches). I got mine on eBay. If you need longer pieces than you can get from there, you can get film marketed for airplanes from https://www.aircraftpaintprotection.com/Leading-Edge-Protection_c_229.html. Amazon also has longer rolls https://www.amazon.com/s?k=paint+pr...000-gatwy-feature-SEARC&tag=amz-mkt-chr-us-20.

These films are designed to be impact and abrasion resistant (I believe they're polyurethane laminate). Much more so than any of the adhesive vinyls that I used for decoration and placarding.

I think you might also find that color matching with vinyl will be a challenge. Clear avoids the need for that.

5. 1RTK1

1RTK1 Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ralph
    Doesn’t Cessna use vinyl accents instead of paint on all new 172’s etc.?