FAA Says Hangars No Place For Homebuilders

Here's an example:

We have a good ol' boy at our airport who owns a box hangar and he lives in it. In an apartment built on the back wall.

He sold his Yak about six months ago and has no airplane in his hangar since. Should he be evicted?
Yeah toss him out he is taking up valuable boat and camper storage space.:D
Jack hangar rent up to market value for covered space and the problem goes away.

Yeah toss him out he is taking up valuable boat and camper storage space.:D
Jack hangar rent up to market value for covered space and the problem goes away.

Well, hangars are sure a lot cheaper than apartments. If apartment dwellers are allowed to move in, there will quickly be no room for aircraft.

Wow. If I was still single building a little studio apartment in a hangar and living there sounds like a pretty nice way to go.

Wow. If I was still single building a little studio apartment in a hangar and living there sounds like a pretty nice way to go.

I think I would hate it after a while. :dunno:

The airport has this 'atmosphere' that is great for going out and going flying when it's busy, but living there would be much different I think.

I've been out to our field when it felt like the twilight zone, or the langoliers were on their way to eat everything because it was so quiet and alone feeling. It get's eery is the only word I can come up with to describe the feeling I have had out there sometimes.

Here's an example:

We have a good ol' boy at our airport who owns a box hangar and he lives in it. In an apartment built on the back wall.

He sold his Yak about six months ago and has no airplane in his hangar since. Should he be evicted?

If I were making the rules it would be like this-

If he owned the hangar, he would have 12 months to get a current, functioning airplane in there. Either buy one of his own, or sub let it to somebody else.

If he didn't own the hangar, then he would have 12 months to get a current, functioning airplane in there, or get out.

Six month extensions could be granted if there were compelling reasons.

I think I would hate it after a while. :dunno:

The airport has this 'atmosphere' that is great for going out and going flying when it's busy, but living there would be much different I think.

I've been out to our field when it felt like the twilight zone, or the langoliers were on their way to eat everything because it was so quiet and alone feeling. It get's eery is the only word I can come up with to describe the feeling I have had out there sometimes.

I grew up on a middle of nowhere farm, spent quite a bit of time alone with not a soul in sight. I find it comfortable... one of the things I like about being up in the air sometimes actually.

But if he owned the hangar and zoning permitted it, couldn't he do what he wants in there?

The point is, the FAA can make rules about hangars on airport property that was given to municipalities or which receive federal grants and funding. These hangars are leased to occupants.

I may not have a grasp on the situation, so please correct me if I am mistaken.

But if he owned the hangar and zoning permitted it, couldn't he do what he wants in there?

The point is, the FAA can make rules about hangars on airport property that was given to municipalities or which receive federal grants and funding. These hangars are leased to occupants.

The example given is a nice guy we all like. He's a very friendly and endearing bachelor and a good pilot. He has a lab that is a good dog. He owns the hangar, which sits on a 30 year lease from the city at our municipal public airport.

There are lease terms, and I'm assuming bylaw terms at the airport, but ashamedly, I don't know what they all are.

I haven't talked to 'Mr. X' what his plans are. But I would hate to see him go if he's going to get another plane. If he isn't, then that's where the example comes in... I'm only using him as an example because it's going on right now and I see it and wonder. I bet he's going to get another plane, because he hasn't lost his medical or any dings on his ticket that I'm aware of. :redface:

I grew up on a middle of nowhere farm, spent quite a bit of time alone with not a soul in sight. I find it comfortable... one of the things I like about being up in the air sometimes actually.

You might love it then.

I grew up same as you. I really enjoy my 'alone' time with my plane when I can get it.

The other thing about the airport that might warp my brain after a while is, it's just damned ugly when you back off and look at a hangar compared to a home. There's no backyard, no flowers, no picket fences, or trees to speak of. It's just hangars. Row after row. It's creepy I tell you... :lol:

The example given is a nice guy we all like. He's a very friendly and endearing bachelor and a good pilot. He has a lab that is a good dog. He owns the hangar, which sits on a 30 year lease from the city at our municipal public airport.

There are lease terms, and I'm assuming bylaw terms at the airport, but ashamedly, I don't know what they all are.

I haven't talked to 'Mr. X' what his plans are. But I would hate to see him go if he's going to get another plane. If he isn't, then that's where the example comes in... I'm only using him as an example because it's going on right now and I see it and wonder. I bet he's going to get another plane, because he hasn't lost his medical or any dings on his ticket that I'm aware of. :redface:

He's got a ground lease, then.

A major benefit of anyone living on an airport is enhanced security ,as most airport bums LOVE aviation and will see /hear all that happens around him /her....... IMHO..

Hangars sold still have a lease component. The land is never bought. The land is public, unless the airfield is marked private. Or it may belong to a community as in a sky ranch in which hangars are peoples garages.

When fed money is taken, the airfield is beholden to the govt. The FAA is the govt for airfields.

He's got a ground lease, then.

Yep. If the airport receives federal funds for improvements and maintenance, the FAA gets to dictate how the ground is to be used. The fact that the guy owns the structure on top of the ground doesn't matter. It's been this way forever. When this guy built his hangar, I'm sure he was aware of the conditions of use of the land at the airport. What has changed in recent times is the FAA is now enforcing the rules that were always there. In the past, the rules were on the books, but not enforced.

Back