FAA run around.

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
I'm trying to import an aircraft from Canada, I must show the Customs that it was built in the USA to avoid paying the import tax. So, I asked my PMI how to find the old records that the FAA has on when it was registered here under the N number N80TC. He told me to go to the FAA web page to get the CD. I did look up the N number 80TC and it has been re-assigned to another aircraft. So, If I order the CD I'll get the records of the new aircraft now on file.
Next I send an E-mail to registration asking how to get the records for my aircraft, They refer me to the import side of the house, 3 days later I get a e-mail back saying they don't handle this. and refer me back to registration. Well now it was late Friday afternoon and they were closed ...

Oh well we start again on Monday.

You can request the records based upon the serial number of the aircraft. A polite call to aircraft records will get you a CD.

You can request the records based upon the serial number of the aircraft. A polite call to aircraft records will get you a CD.

How do we know the S/N? we have a kit number but no US data plate.

If the aircraft was ever registered in the US (N number) then there are records. The FSDO has a system called SPAS and under MSAT B are aircraft records.

It was built here, registered here under the 80TC number, I just don't know the S/N.

Oh no.... We ain't done with this quite yet. We need more drama. :D

I guess it pays to know the right question to ask.

Stupid azz government. Wait didn't read the whole thread.

Oh no.... We ain't done with this quite yet. We need more drama. :D

I guess it pays to know the right question to ask.

that, and the ability to read.

There isn't any problem getting it registered, with a new N, number. but a copy of the transfer records will be enough for the Customs guys to see it was built in the US, and no duty taxes apply.

Back