FAA Revokes Santa Monica Propeller Service

Klaus M

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Klaus

The FAA alleges that:
  • Between May and November 2021, the company approved four Hartzell propellers for return to service following overhauls but failed to replace certain parts per manufacturer-manual requirements. The company falsely certified it had replaced those parts and knew the certification was false.

• Between January and November 2021, an unqualified person approved approximately 42 propellers for return to service. The FAA informed the company’s owner of this in December 2021 and February 2022, but unqualified personnel issued return-to-service approvals for four propellers between September 2022 and January 2023.

Didn't know they had the power to revoke an entire entity. Woah.

Wow! If I'd had a constant speed prop overhauled there I would be having it rechecked - and going after this company for the costs.

That makes more sense, but sounds less scary.
Except that in this case, the actions that caused the revocation are actually MORE scary than the OP's paraphrasing, IMO.

About ten years ago we used Santa Monica Propeller for several overhauls because they could do them for le$$. Unfortunately two of the propellers where returned for warranty repair and of course we paid for the shipping both ways. Both Hartzell and one leaked grease from the hub up the blades and the other after 200 hours locked up and wouldn't change pitch. The third propeller was a McCauley and about 2000 hours/four years later it was sent to a propeller shop in Anchorage and they discovered a number of internal issues resulting in a new propeller. Surprised that Santa Monica Propeller lasted as long as they did.

They actually revoked the entity's certificate.
FYI: CRS revocation is one of the very few instances where the outcome can have a permanent effect on the individuals who managed/controlled the CRS. Where a pilot or mechanic that had their certificate revoked can reapply after one year, the person(s) who “exercised control” over a revoked CRS can no longer hold an equal position for any other CRS if they contributed to the reasons behind the revocation.
That makes more sense, but sounds less scary.
Unless you had an affected prop and were required to have it reworked on your nickel. A number of the crankshaft ADs from years past were caused by some individual CRSs doing their own thing vs follow the rules. It takes a lot to get a CRS revoked so IMO they deserve the consequences.

They did the propellers for me on my Geronimo Apache , at 105 hours the left one had a problem coming back from Mexico had to feather it and flew about 80 miles to the bay of LA airport left the plane and got home on the bus 4 of us including my son, we flew down and replaced the propeller I borrowed from a friend and flew home , it was over a year old and they would not fix it so I had both of them done over , that’s my experience with that company Not good, I have used Aero Propeller service in Hemet Ca. Ever sense that happened and never had anything but great service from them

Falsified repair records and no fine? I am a bit surprised the FAA let this go with just a revocation.

Back