FAA Releases Cross Country and Repositioning Interpretations

This issue came up for me today. I flew from BPT to LFK, 86 NM one way. I got up there and the place was buzzing like a hornet's nest. Twice I went in on a long final and decided not to land because of someone on the runway, leaving the runway, or on the crosswise runway. Since it was calm the locals decided that the active was whatever rwy was handy. Anyway, not knocking them, I just decided I didn't need a landing and just headed back. i was just out for a Sunday fly around anyway.

So, I am dutifully filling out my logbook and wondered if my little afternoon flight qualifies as a CC. The roundtrip was a 172 NM, but I did not do a landing, although there was some navigating to get up there obviously.

Oh, and jeez are those Cessna's slow--I had forgotten.

No it does not:

3) Cross-country time means—
(i) Except as provided in paragraphs (b)(3)(ii) through (b)(3)(vi) of this section, time acquired during flight—
(A) Conducted by a person who holds a pilot certificate;
(B) Conducted in an aircraft;
(C) That includes a landing at a point other than the point of departure; and...

...that is, unless he just wants to count it toward his ATP.

I always wondered how many ATP candidates had to go back and find these "non-XC XC" in their early days to get enough XC hours to meet the requirements.

I always wondered how many ATP candidates had to go back and find these "non-XC XC" in their early days to get enough XC hours to meet the requirements.
I didn't get my ATP until I had way, way, more total hours than necessary but if I had gotten it at 1,500 hours like a lot of people I would probably have had to invoke the "non-XC XC" rule. I had done a lot of flights away from my home base to a mapping site and returned without a landing.

I didn't get my ATP until I had way, way, more total hours than necessary but if I had gotten it at 1,500 hours like a lot of people I would probably have had to invoke the "non-XC XC" rule. I had done a lot of flights away from my home base to a mapping site and returned without a landing.

Yeah, at just under 700 hours, I think I might already have all the time requirements (sans the 1500 of course), though my night time might be a bit short.

Yes that landing thing kind of stinks for glider pilots, We love to do out and return flights. I regularly do 180-300 miles flights (90-150mile legs) but I don't want to land as that requires another glider tow$. Usually we just circle the airport, a leftover from the days when we photographed the airport to prove we were there. Now we use GPS flight recorders.

Sure feels like a crosscountry flight, even if I don't land.

Brian

(i) Except as provided in paragraphs (b)(3)(ii) through (b)(3)(vi) of this section, time acquired during flight—
(C) That includes a landing at a point other than the point of departure; and...

Yes that landing thing kind of stinks for glider pilots, We love to do out and return flights. I regularly do 180-300 miles flights (90-150mile legs) but I don't want to land as that requires another glider tow$. Usually we just circle the airport, a leftover from the days when we photographed the airport to prove we were there. Now we use GPS flight recorders.

Brian

If you build up enough speed, can you T & G in a glider, and grab a thermal? ;)

I don't think too many folks get to 1500 hours total time without having more than enough XC time to meet the 500-hour requirement without scavenging.

I don't think too many folks get to 1500 hours total time without having more than enough XC time to meet the 500-hour requirement without scavenging.

Real pilots, no. Some CFI's have to scrounge, though, after spending 1,000 hours in the pattern.

Brian

thats what you get for not flying straight out flights. :D

Nope. Doesn't matter how much distance occured in-between. If you landed at the same airport you took off from, it wasn't cross-country.

<---one of the few. My first full-time flying job (starting at about 400 hours) was 5 takoffs and landings an hour in the towplane for several hundred hours, and another 250 hours of local glider flights. My second full-time flying job was hopping rides for a couple of days, and then flying a few miles to hop rides for a few more days.

Fortunately I didn't have any desire to get my ATP until I was forced to at 3500 hours. And then I almost quit my job over the whole deal, because the company reneged on their promises.

Back