FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018

midwestpa24

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
midwestpa24
For the first time since the 80s, the FAA has a 5 year reauthorization signed by the President today. Lots of interesting items buried in it, such as:

SEC. 363. PROHIBITION REGARDING WEAPONS. (a) IN GENERAL.—Unless authorized by the Administrator, a person may not operate an unmanned aircraft or unmanned aircraft system that is equipped or armed with a dangerous weapon.

SEC. 363. PROHIBITION REGARDING WEAPONS. (a) IN GENERAL.—Unless authorized by the Administrator, a person may not operate an unmanned aircraft or unmanned aircraft system that is equipped or armed with a dangerous weapon.

Well shoot, there goes my plans for duck huntin'....

My favorite one is this nugget:

538. SENSE OF CONGRESS ON PREVENTING THE
TRANSPORTATION OF DISEASE-CARRYING MOSQUITOES AND OTHER INSECTS ON COM- MERCIAL AIRCRAFT.

“....develop a framework and guidance for the use of safe, effective, and nontoxic means of preventing the transportation of disease-carrying mosquitoes and other insects on commercial aircraft....”

Hmm.... That one is going to be kinda hard to due. :rolleyes:

For the first time since the 80s, the FAA has a 5 year reauthorization signed by the President today. Lots of interesting items buried in it, such as:

Crap. Looks like the NRA blew it. This is going to take years to work its way through the courts so the USSC can toss it.

I am in NC for work... You have to have a separate certificate from the state to fly UAS here. They made it illegal to fish or hunt with a drone. Didn't even know that was a thing!

The article I read said the bill requires the FAA to determine minimum airline seat widths and seat pitch but didn't set any parameters. If that is the case, couldn't the FAA set the minimums to be less than the current smallest size? Would that be an improvement? Who writes this stuff?

I am in NC for work... You have to have a separate certificate from the state to fly UAS here. They made it illegal to fish or hunt with a drone. Didn't even know that was a thing!

I just recently learned that drone fishing is a thing. The drone delivers the bait farther out than you could cast and releases it into the surf. Interesting

I just recently learned that drone fishing is a thing. The drone delivers the bait farther out than you could cast and releases it into the surf. Interesting

Wonder why the state of NC feels that this needs to be illegal?

The article I read said the bill requires the FAA to determine minimum airline seat widths and seat pitch but didn't set any parameters. If that is the case, couldn't the FAA set the minimums to be less than the current smallest size? Would that be an improvement? Who writes this stuff?

Yep! Or they could say the current sizes are the minimum and move on.

Several years ago I watched some kids that showed a little intelligence. They attached the fishing line to an R/C boat and sent it to the middle of the lake. A few minutes later the bobber went down, and they pulled a nice fish in. This repeated 6 or 7 times.

Funny part, about 30 minutes later the bobber went down, and they started to bring in the boat. The boat went under. Then a minute later the boat surfaced and they started to bring the boat in again. And the boat went under again. This happened 4 or 5 times until the fish threw the hook....

"We need a bigger boat...."

Yep! Or they could say the current sizes are the minimum and move on.

You really don't want a law that detailed, better to let the FAA handle it through the regulatory process. Laws are much more difficult to change when needed to.

It wouldn't be any worse than having no minimum. But FAA will at least show some study and put out an NPRM to get public input first. Would you prefer Congress just say it's xx inches?

It wouldn't be any worse than having no minimum. But FAA will at least show some study and put out an NPRM to get public input first. Would you prefer Congress just say it's xx inches?

Yes I would. If they are going to tell the FAA to establish some arbitrary measurements then they should just do it themselves. Congress is pretty good at being arbitrary anyways.

Yes I would. If they are going to tell the FAA to establish some arbitrary measurements then they should just do it themselves. Congress is pretty good at being arbitrary anyways.
I would think the FAA will get some data about actual dimensions of passengers.
If Congress just used their own, then there would only be four seats and twenty rows on a B737. This would make flying generally unaffordable. And the public would cry faul. And Congress would hem and haw...
Do you really want that?

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Drones are great for dragging your bait past the first sandbar (or even the second) when surf fishing.

I would think the FAA will get some data about actual dimensions of passengers.
If Congress just used their own, then there would only be four seats and twenty rows on a B737. This would make flying generally unaffordable. And the public would cry faul. And Congress would hem and haw...
Do you really want that?

Sure why not? The motivation for the requirement for the FAA to set seat size and pitch size minimums was due to the ever decreasing size of each. But with vagueness in the congressional mandate, the FAA could set minimums far smaller than what they currently are. Do you really want that?

And yes, if the minimums are made significantly larger than they are now which would force removal of some seats which would then increase ticket prices which could then make flying too expensive for Walmart people, I’d be ok with it.

Sure why not? The motivation for the requirement for the FAA to set seat size and pitch size minimums was due to the ever decreasing size of each. But with vagueness in the congressional mandate, the FAA could set minimums far smaller than what they currently are. Do you really want that?

And yes, if the minimums are made significantly larger than they are now which would force removal of some seats which would then increase ticket prices which could then make flying too expensive for Walmart people, I’d be ok with it.
WalMart people. Like this:
Or did you have another politically incorrect meaning?

I know it doesn’t affect too many people here, but raising the altitude where O2 masks are required is pretty sweet...

Wonder why the state of NC feels that this needs to be illegal?

I believe it was an add on to the law which prohibits drone operators from interfering with hunters or fishermen. Keeping drone out of hunting, well that applies to putting the gun on the drone too. After all, if you're in a hunting area trying to shoot from a drone, you're interfering with others who might be hunting in the area. Why did any of this need to be a law? Because in NC there are serious hunters, some of whom still rely on hunting as food supplement.

It is a shame we have to have to have laws that force respect.

I know it doesn’t affect too many people here, but raising the altitude where O2 masks are required is pretty sweet...

What section has that? I looked through the bill and didn’t find it, but that may well be due to only being on my second cup of coffee.

What section has that? I looked through the bill and didn’t find it, but that may well be due to only being on my second cup of coffee.
It's buried in Section 579.

FAA Reauthorization Bill 2018 said:
SEC. 579. REGULATORY STREAMLINING. Not later than 1 year after the date of enactment of this Act, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration shall issue a final regulation revising section 121.333(c)(3) of title 14, Code of Federal Regulations, to apply only to flight altitudes above flight level 410.

14 CFR 121.333(c)(3) said:
Notwithstanding paragraph (c)(2) of this section, if for any reason at any time it is necessary for one pilot to leave his station at the controls of the airplane when operating at flight altitudes above flight level 250, the remaining pilot at the controls shall put on and use his oxygen mask until the other pilot has returned to his duty station.

Back