FAA policy "change" on aviation training devices

I agree that consistency is good. I also think that the best way to learn to fly an airplane on instruments in the clouds, is to log time actually flying an airplane on instruments on the clouds and talking with live ATC with a CFII in the right seat coaching you in the right direction and helping refine your techniques.

Is there any new information on this?

We have an AATD here and I'd like to know whether this is definitely happening and what steps I need to take prior to Jan 1 to have our system remain legal for logging time towards a rating.

\__[Ô]__/;1542578 said:
Is there any new information on this?

We have an AATD here and I'd like to know whether this is definitely happening and what steps I need to take prior to Jan 1 to have our system remain legal for logging time towards a rating.
What's definite is that the Chief Counsel has said an instructor's presence is required to log time or events on any sort of flight simulation device for Part 61 purposes. Beyond that, it's up to the manufacturers to obtain certification for the devices they build and your local FSDO to issue a new LoA for your AATD. I suggest you contact them to discuss where you and your AATD stand.

Back