FAA policy "change" on aviation training devices

Nothing about needing an instructor in an FTD.
True, but that's not the only regulation involved. See 14 CFR 61.51(g), which does specifically address use of both FTD's and ATD's to meet the 61.57(c) instrument recency experience requirement:
(4) A person can use time in a flight simulator, flight training device, or aviation training device for acquiring instrument aeronautical experience for a pilot certificate, rating, or instrument recency experience, provided an authorized instructor is present to observe that time and signs the person's logbook or training record to verify the time and the content of the training session.
Further, AFS-800 is responsible for 61.51(g)(4), so if they don't like it, it's up to them to get it changed, not the Chief Counsel. But until they do, it's the Chief Counsel's job to make sure the FAA applies the regulations properly.

But until they do, it's the Chief Counsel's job to make sure the FAA applies the regulations properly.

No it's not. :nonod: :rolleyes2:

Office of the Chief Counsel

The FAA Office of the Chief Counsel supports the Agency's mission by furnishing timely and responsive legal services to the FAA Administrator and all Agency organizations at the Headquarters, Regional and Center levels. The principal areas of the Chief Counsel's legal practice include:

Components of the Office also serve as the FAA Administrator's adjudicative forums for civil penalty and acquisition disputes. Attorneys represent the agency before a variety of forums, including:

• National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB)
  • Merit Systems Protection Board (MSPB)
  • Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)
  • FAA's Office of Dispute Resolution for Acquisition (ODRA)
  • United States federal courts
The Counsel's office also works closely with the Office of the General Counsel of the Department of Transportation on issues that are common to modal administrations or that are of national significance to the aviation industry.

The International Law, Legislation, and Regulations Division provides legal counsel regarding the drafting, form and legality of regulations, orders, exemptions, airspace actions, obstruction evaluation determinations, and space transportation licenses. In addition, it interprets the FAA's aviation and space regulations; develops and recommends agency policy and standards relating to legal aspects of the agency regulatory program; acts as liaison with the Office of the Secretary of Transportation on the legal aspects of the agency's regulatory program; and provides legal counsel for the Slot Management System.

Last edited:
No it's not. :nonod: :rolleyes2:
Yes, it is. Read those words you quoted more carefully, especially the part about "furnishing timely and responsive legal services to the FAA Administrator and all Agency organizations at the Headquarters, Regional and Center levels." That's part of the business of AGC-200, the International Law, Legislations & Regulations Division. See their web page for more.

The chief counsel has an opinion. In this case it's wrong and I'm disregarding it.

The chief counsel has an opinion. In this case it's wrong and I'm disregarding it.
Please tell me what part of 61.51(g)(4) (quoted again since you apparently didn't read it the first time) you don't understand.
(4) A person can use time in a flight simulator, flight training device, or aviation training device for acquiring instrument aeronautical experience for a pilot certificate, rating, or instrument recency experience, provided an authorized instructor is present to observe that time and signs the person's logbook or training record to verify the time and the content of the training session.
I'm taking about the actual plain wording of the regulation itself, and not even thinking about the Karas letter saying the reg means what it says.

Yes, it is. Read those words you quoted more carefully, especially the part about "furnishing timely and responsive legal services to the FAA Administrator and all Agency organizations at the Headquarters, Regional and Center levels." That's part of the business of AGC-200, the International Law, Legislations & Regulations Division. See their web page for more.

Legal services yes, but saying "Chief Counsel's job to make sure the FAA applies the regulations properly" is inappropriate and it is not their job, that is the responsibility of the Administrator. :rolleyes:

Legal services yes, but saying "Chief Counsel's job to make sure the FAA applies the regulations properly" is inappropriate and it is not their job, that is the responsibility of the Administrator. :rolleyes:
Your point is taken. However, the Administrator relies on the Chief Counsel to provide the information and advice necessary to do that, and delegates those tasks to the Chief Counsel. And I know for sure that it was the Chief Counsel's office, not the Administrator himself, which told AFS-800 they can't write 61.4 certification letters authorizing people to use ATD's for recent instrument experience without an instructor present.

Please tell me what part of 61.51(g)(4) (quoted again since you apparently didn't read it the first time) you don't understand.
I'm taking about the actual plain wording of the regulation itself, and not even thinking about the Karas letter saying the reg means what it says.

I'm using a simulator.

I'm using a simulator.
There are three basic categories of Flight Simulation Training Devices (FSTD, the name covering everything ground-based in which you can log time, take practical tests or other checkrides, or use for recent experience):

• Flight Simulator
  • Flight Training Device
  • Aviation Training Device (subdivided into Basic and Advanced)
14 CFR 61.51(g)(4) covers them all. So, if it's authorized per 61.4/Part 60 to use for recent experience, then per 61.51, an authorized instructor must be present to observe that time and sign your logbook or training record or it's as though it didn't happen.

BTW, I doubt if you're really using a flight simulator -- much more likely an FTD or ATD unless you're doing this a big box that is moved around by large hydraulic power systems at an airline training center or the like, but even then, an authorized instructor's presence and signature are required for it to count.

Last edited:
There are three basic categories of Flight Simulation Training Devices (FSTD, the name covering everything ground-based in which you can log time, take practical tests or other checkrides, or use for recent experience):

• Flight Simulator
  • Flight Training Device
  • Aviation Training Device (subdivided into Basic and Advanced)
14 CFR 61.51(g)(4) covers them all. So, if it's authorized per 61.4/Part 60 to use for recent experience, then per 61.51, an authorized instructor must be present to observe that time and sign your logbook or training record or it's as though it didn't happen.

BTW, I doubt if you're really using a flight simulator -- much more likely an FTD or ATD unless you're doing this a big box that is moved around by large hydraulic power systems at an airline training center or the like, but even then, an authorized instructor's presence and signature are required for it to count.

I have been using a Redbird AATD-- which is a big box with hydraulic (I presume) power systems that lifts the box and manipulates it to give a sense of movement.

At this point, I don't really care how much of the time I can log. It is the appropriate device to allow me to do a certain part of my instrument training efficiently so that I can learn what I need to learn. I am not in a hurry to finish. I just want to make sure I know what I need to know to make me safe and proficient. And that takes whatever time it takes.

I have been using a Redbird AATD-- which is a big box with hydraulic (I presume) power systems that lifts the box and manipulates it to give a sense of movement.
It is, nevertheless, as the paperwork says, an ATD, not a flight simulator.
At this point, I don't really care how much of the time I can log. It is the appropriate device to allow me to do a certain part of my instrument training efficiently so that I can learn what I need to learn. I am not in a hurry to finish. I just want to make sure I know what I need to know to make me safe and proficient. And that takes whatever time it takes.
I'm with you all the way. The problem is that AFS-800 issued some LoA's saying you could use an ATD to meet the 61.57(c) recent instrument experience requirements without an instructor present. That is contrary to the clear wording of 61.51(g)(4), and the Chief Counsel's office has told AFS-800 this is not allowed. Therefore, no matter what AFS-800 says, you cannot legally use one of those devices to meet the 61.57(c) requirements without an instructor. The Chief Counsel has told AFS-800 that if AFS-800 wants to allow this, they have to go through the rulemaking process and change 61.51(g)(4) accordingly -- something which AFS-800 has so far not done.

I'm with you all the way. The problem is that AFS-800 issued some LoA's saying you could use an ATD to meet the 61.57(c) recent instrument experience requirements without an instructor present. That is contrary to the clear wording of 61.51(g)(4), and the Chief Counsel's office has told AFS-800 this is not allowed. Therefore, no matter what AFS-800 says, you cannot legally use one of those devices to meet the 61.57(c) requirements without an instructor. The Chief Counsel has told AFS-800 that if AFS-800 wants to allow this, they have to go through the rulemaking process and change 61.51(g)(4) accordingly -- something which AFS-800 has so far not done.

Gotcha. I am not at that point yet, since I don't even have the rating. But it's good to know about that potential issue for recent experience requirements.

It is, nevertheless, as the paperwork says, an ATD, not a flight simulator.

in fairness, I believe some of those letters were issued before 61.51.g.4 came out. most were not.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

in fairness, I believe some of those letters were issued before 61.51.g.4 came out. most were not.
I do not believe that is true. The FAA RGL Library shows that requirement has been in there since at least 1997, and IIRC, further back than that. ATD's didn't even exist in those days.

I do not believe that is true. The FAA RGL Library shows that requirement has been in there since at least 1997, and IIRC, further back than that. ATD's didn't even exist in those days.

I have some old copies of Part 61. They show that the explicit requirement for an instructor to be present to log time in a simulator or flight training device was added to 61.51 in Amendment 61-100, effective 8/1/96. Prior to that, it wasn't clear one way or the other. My recollection is that before it was made explicit in 61.51, some guidance came out in the first half of the 1990s, saying that it was required.

I have some old copies of Part 61. They show that the explicit requirement for an instructor to be present to log time in a simulator or flight training device was added to 61.51 in Amendment 61-100, effective 8/1/96. Prior to that, it wasn't clear one way or the other. My recollection is that before it was made explicit in 61.51, some guidance came out in the first half of the 1990s, saying that it was required.
Even if it was 1996, that was long before any of the LoA's in question were issued. I know for a fact that AFS-800 was deliberately attempting an end-run around 61.51(g)(4) with those letters, and that when the Chief Counsel found out what was going on, AGC-200 told AFS-800 that wasn't kosher. FAA internal politics at its best. :sigh:

Not attempting to contradict your point - just providing some info.

Even if it was 1996, that was long before any of the LoA's in question were issued. I know for a fact that AFS-800 was deliberately attempting an end-run around 61.51(g)(4) with those letters, and that when the Chief Counsel found out what was going on, AGC-200 told AFS-800 that wasn't kosher. FAA internal politics at its best. :sigh:

Now, if a pilot IS an authorized instructor, what prevents him from recording his own instrument approaches in a sim/ftd/atd?

You're correct on the timeframe.. which makes it over a decade that that requirement was there and various other parts of the FAA wrote contrary guidance.

I think I've seen the "no instructor required" guidance in at least two ways:
The authorization letter from a FSDO to a flight school incorporating the device into their curriculum.
A specific letter associated with the AATD, I believe from AFS-800.

Now, if a pilot IS an authorized instructor, what prevents him from recording his own instrument approaches in a sim/ftd/atd?
14 CFR 61.195:
(i) Prohibition against self-endorsements. A flight instructor shall not make any self-endorsement for a certificate, rating, flight review, authorization, operating privilege, practical test, or knowledge test that is required by this part.

You're correct on the timeframe.. which makes it over a decade that that requirement was there and various other parts of the FAA wrote contrary guidance.

I think I've seen the "no instructor required" guidance in at least two ways:
The authorization letter from a FSDO to a flight school incorporating the device into their curriculum.
A specific letter associated with the AATD, I believe from AFS-800.
Exactly -- both from Flight Standards, both contrary to the regulation, and both in willful defiance of legal direction from AGC-200.

So AFS-800 consults with you on internally FAA policies? :rolleyes2:

AFS-800 is infamous on such items then and today. This is why -800 has a revolving door on employees and they have such a difficult time attracting people to work there. Having "AFS-800" on your resume doesn't help in career progression within the FAA.

so, recency/currency world be ok, or is that an operating privilege?
My opinion based on the plain language of the regulations involved and their preambles in the Federal Register is that the clear intent of both 61.51(g)(4) and 61.195(i) is to have independent confirmation by an authorized instructor that training or simulated flight took place. Based on that, since an instructor "flying" a simulator is acting as a trainee/pilot, not as an instructor, an instructor can neither sign his/her own training nor certify the accomplishment of simulated instrument flight in a flight simulation device.

One final comment - the reg says an authorized instructor be present to log the instrument time. Doesn't mean that dual has to be logged. If I understand it correctly, a sim center could have one instructor monitoring multiple sims conducting practice approaches, and since that's not INSTRUCTION, all that's required is the instructor endorsement at the end to the simulated instrument time, with no instruction received or given.

That may decrease worries of some folks who think they have to get socked for xx hours of dual when they go practice approaches.

One final comment - the reg says an authorized instructor be present to log the instrument time. Doesn't mean that dual has to be logged. If I understand it correctly, a sim center could have one instructor monitoring multiple sims conducting practice approaches, and since that's not INSTRUCTION, all that's required is the instructor endorsement at the end to the simulated instrument time, with no instruction received or given.
All correct, although I'd add that in addition to being present and observing, the instructor must also sign everyone's log book.

That may decrease worries of some folks who think they have to get socked for xx hours of dual when they go practice approaches.

So since it's not instruction what qualifies as an authorized instructor? Can an IGI do it? :confused:

Per the Gatlin letter, IGI's are not "authorized instructors" for simulators. Only a CFI with instrument instructor rating is an "authorized instructor" for this purpose.

think cfi-ase can give sim training, just not instrument training. agree that for the scenario under discussion a cfi-ia.

disagree with cc interpretation, but whatever.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

So what does this mean for simulator owners?
We offer a cheaper way to log time for IFR with a qualified instructor present.
Why would they lower the time allowed to log?
http//www.norcalsim.com/

Is there anything we can do to stop this?

So what does this mean for simulator owners?
Not much if you have a fairly modern sim. The only widely used sim I see being significantly affected by this will be the ATC 610/710 series, which can only qualify as ATD's under the current rules, not FTD's as they were certified 30 years ago. That means they'll only be good for 10 hours towards the IR instead of 20. Every other FTD I know should pass the current standards for FTD. That may be a costly process for outfits like Frasca, which have a lot of units in the field certified prior to the current rules, but should not be an issue for the users unless the manufacturers elect not to pursue recertification. Knowing Rudy Frasca, I doubt they will let their customer twist in the wind like that, but there may be other outfits which will. OTOH, if you are using something like a Redbird or FlyThisSim, or newer models from legacy companies like Frasca, which were certified under the current rules, there will be no effect at all.

We offer a cheaper way to log time for IFR with a qualified instructor present.
Why would they lower the time allowed to log?
Because they don't want people using equipment which doesn't meet the standards they want for FTD's to be getting the privileges that come with an FTD in a device which would only qualify as an ATD today.

Is there anything we can do to stop this?
No. They've been generous about allowing those ancient FTD's to be grandfathered for decades, but they've decided enough is enough.

Yeah, but there will be very few places with that density of simulators that are also willing to tell an instructor that they're just going to "monitor" 20 people who wander in and out and sign their logbooks.

Yeah, but there will be very few places with that density of simulators that are also willing to tell an instructor that they're just going to "monitor" 20 people who wander in and out and sign their logbooks.
Those places (like sim labs in university aviation programs) have systems in place to allow the instructor to monitor what each student is doing and confirm when they started and stopped. That's discussed in the FAA guidance on such set-ups.

Those places (like sim labs in university aviation programs) have systems in place to allow the instructor to monitor what each student is doing and confirm when they started and stopped. That's discussed in the FAA guidance on such set-ups.

It's always seemed strange to me that the FAA doesn't require instructors to monitor and confirm pilots' instrument currency work in aircraft, but when the same pilots use simulators or training devices, suddenly they can't be trusted.

It's always seemed strange to me that the FAA doesn't require instructors to monitor and confirm pilots' instrument currency work in aircraft, but when the same pilots use simulators or training devices, suddenly they can't be trusted.
That is exactly AFS-800's feeling, and why they started signing those letters authorizing that with some ATD's. However, the Chief Counsel pointed out to them that the Administrative Procedures Act does not permit anyone in the Federal government to say it's OK to ignore properly adopted regulations. Personally, I don't understand why they didn't just do it as required by law by changing 61.51(g)(4) from:
to read:
(4) A person can use time in a flight simulator, flight training device, or aviation training device for acquiring instrument aeronautical experience for a pilot certificate, rating, or instrument recency experience. For instrument aeronautical experience for a pilot certificate or rating, an authorized instructor must be present to observe that time and sign the person's logbook or training record to verify the time and the content of the training session.
We really wouldn't like it if Flight Standards could change the rules by the stroke of a pen without going through the full rulemaking process.

That is exactly AFS-800's feeling,

So now you are the spokesman for AFS-800??? :rolleyes2:

. However, the Chief Counsel pointed out to them that the Administrative Procedures Act does not permit anyone in the Federal government to say it's OK to ignore properly adopted regulations.

Again, the buffoonery of AFS-800 at work. You've only seen a very small example of the idiocy that comes from that branch.

Back