FAA pilot Renting in Canada / Calgary.

bluesideup

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
bluesideup
Hi everyone.

Do any of you have experience with renting a 4 seat acft. in Canada if you hold an FAA PP license?

Something around Calgary, and what the process is like. or is it possible? I need all 4 seats and cannot have a CFI / another pilot in the plane.

Thank you.

Its a bit complicated. I believe the nationality of the license has to match one of either the nationality of the airspace or the nationality of the aircraft registration.

So, without any paperwork required, as I understand it: a) An FAA licensed pilot can fly an N-registered aircraft in Canada (or the USA, of course);
b) And a Canadian licensed pilot can fly an N-registered aircraft in Canada, but not in USA airspace;
c) And an FAA licensed pilot can fly a Canadian registered aircraft in the USA but not in Canadian airspace.

Who said any of this was logical :confused:

I believe there is some sort of reciprocal ICAO agreement with a procedure to allow an FAA (or Transport Canada) licensed pilot to secure validation privileges relatively easily to fly a foreign registered airplane in that foreign airspace, but its not automatic, so suggest you contact AOPA perhaps to find out what is required.

Last edited:
You must obtain a Canadian certificate, before you can solo a Canadian aircraft. any flight school can fix you up.

Hi.
Thank you for the feedback.
Yes, I am aware of all the contortions that an FAA PP has to go through to fly in Canada.
I think a more direct / to the point question would be:
Does any one know of an outfit that rents to FAA pilots, an N registered acft? in / around Calgary?
Thank you.

N-registered unlikely. It would almost certainly have to be a private arrangement I suspect. It would be difficult for a Canadian flight training/rental operator with their Transport Canada commercial certification to get insurance for an non-Canadian registered aircraft in their fleet.

It might be easier to rent in northern Montana (Great Falls or Kalispell) and fly across the border.

You could rent it WITH an instructor. Dont even need a license for that.

Its a bit complicated. I believe the nationality of the license has to match one of either the nationality of the airspace or the nationality of the aircraft registration.

So, without any paperwork required, as I understand it: a) An FAA licensed pilot can fly an N-registered aircraft in Canada (or the USA, of course);
b) And a Canadian licensed pilot can fly an N-registered aircraft in Canada, but not in USA airspace;
c) And an FAA licensed pilot can fly a Canadian registered aircraft in the USA but not in Canadian airspace.

Who said any of this was logical :confused:

I believe there is some sort of reciprocal ICAO agreement with a procedure to allow an FAA (or Transport Canada) licensed pilot to secure validation privileges relatively easily to fly a foreign registered airplane in that foreign airspace, but its not automatic, so suggest you contact AOPA perhaps to find out what is required.
LOL. "Logical" has to be base on underlying assumptions. In this case, there are two:

(1) Countries have the right to secure borders and could deny access to foreign aircraft; but
(2) International air commerce requires recognition of foreign pilot certification. If not, US pilots flying United Airlines could not land, or even overfly, say, Canada, England or Germany or...

Your (a), (b) and (c) pretty much flow from those two.

In light of #2, there is the ICAO Chicago Convention - an international agreement recognize foreign pilot certification, but only as necessary for air commerce to take place. Countries still having somewhat nationalistic tendencies (perhaps you noticed ours?) that doesn't include flying domestic aircraft.

OTHO, if I am a German-licensed pilot flying in Germany, Germany doesn't care whose airplane I fly.

Our shop once maintained an N-registered that was owned and kept in Canada but maintained here in the US. The paperwork necessary for him to do that outweighed his Bonanza but he said in the long run it saved him big bucks.

Our shop once maintained an N-registered that was owned and kept in Canada but maintained here in the US. The paperwork necessary for him to do that outweighed his Bonanza but he said in the long run it saved him big bucks.

That's not uncommon, but generally for planes more expensive than a Cherokee or 172.

I know several Canadian owner/pilots that have N-registered airplanes based in Canada. They bought them in the USA and have them owned in a US LLC. This avoids the expensive process of importing the plane, including the Transport Canada inspections, securing a TC CofA, changing the registration marks, and so forth. It also makes it easier to sell the plane in future in the bigger US market without having to reverse all those procedures.

The only real downside is I believe the plane may have to be returned to the USA each year for the annual. But most if them are using their planes to go back and forth regularly anyway.

Back