FAA Paperwork Question

farmrjohn

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
farmrjohn
If you legally change the engine on an airplane and file the 337 with the FAA is it also necessary to notify the registration branch of the change? I've noticed several airplanes on the N number search that still have the original certificated engine type listed when they actually have a different engine. A case in point are the Ercoupes that have changed to an O-200 (via STC) but still showing their C-xx engine on the registration information. Edit to add, inquiries to the local FSDO go unanswered.

Last edited:
I don’t think so.
I’ve seen a couple airplanes with different engines & no change on the registration info.
I think the reg info includes only how it left the factory.

If you legally change the engine on an airplane and file the 337 with the FAA is it also necessary to notify the registration branch of the change?
No. But its my understanding you can request a change for your aircraft. While I can't vouch for its accuracy I was once told the registry engine information had more to do with cross-reference requirements for Part 49.

I've had filed the STC and 337 with the FAA for my engine change but the record still shows the old gopher.

FAA registry does not change registration information without an application for an airworthiness certificate. If you look at some experimental aircraft operating limitations, there is one limitation that requires the owner to submit a airworthiness certificate application to OKC when changing an engine or propeller…

If you look at some experimental aircraft operating limitations, there is one limitation that requires the owner to submit a airworthiness certificate application to OKC when changing an engine or propeller…

Never experienced that. Most I've seen is a return to phase one flight testing by the local FSDO for a certain number of hours ...

Never experienced that. Most I've seen is a return to phase one flight testing by the local FSDO for a certain number of hours ...
Some older op lims say, "any major change invalidates the airworthiness certificate."

This is something you possibly would have to do manually as filing 337's and such to records does not appear to have any cross communication with the registration branch. I've got three vintage aircraft and none of them have the correct engine model listed including the one that still has the original engine. You'll note that the registration only has engine model and no serial number information. It's common to see these errors and not something that anybody seems to have any concern over but it's possible that if you file a new registration application you could get it corrected.

Back