FAA okays Pfizer vaccine

“[T]he agency will require aviation professionals with medical certifications or medical clearances to observe a period of 48 hours following the administration of this vaccine before conducting safety-sensitive aviation duties, such as flying or controlling air traffic.”

So us non-professionals don’t have to self-ground for 48 hours?

That is how you would read it. Not being paid=not professional activity. Based on the well-documented common side effects, it would likely be smart to ground for at least 24 hours, regardless.

“[T]he agency will require aviation professionals with medical certifications or medical clearances to observe a period of 48 hours following the administration of this vaccine before conducting safety-sensitive aviation duties, such as flying or controlling air traffic.”

I think you can read it that way, but my guess is the press release is more meant for general consumption. While I doubt I'll have substantial side effects, given my previous experience with all sorts of immunizations, I will still self ground for the 48 hour period.

Seems like anyone who has an FAA medical must ground themselves for 48 hours.

https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=94991

“Holders of FAA-issued Airman Medical Certificates or Medical Clearances may receive the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine; however, a 48-hour no fly/no safety related duty interval must be observed after each dose.”

I'd like to think all pilots hold themselves to a professional standard when flying their airplanes.

I would too, but personal observation suggests otherwise. Or as long as we're picking on grammar, perhaps they were flying someone else's airplane and that makes it all OK.

FAA or not, common sense says to give it a couple of days to see how your body react to just out of the oven cocktail

I like that you added “when flying their airplanes” lol.

Lol, that was unintentional, but renters do need to learn to lean better lol.

I would too, but personal observation suggests otherwise. Or as long as we're picking on grammar, perhaps they were flying someone else's airplane and that makes it all OK.

:p

FAA or not, common sense says to give it a couple of days to see how your body react to just out of the oven cocktail

Forget how new this is. Anytime you poke a hole in your body and insert something meant to give an immune response, you probably want to take a day or two off heavy activity. I got the yellow fever and a couple other vaccines before a safari trip and definitely felt it for a day.

I'd like to think all pilots hold themselves to a professional standard when flying their airplanes.

I'd like to believe that too ... but observing some of the things that have happened of late makes me doubt it a little.

Non-issue for most of us. Very few "professional" pilots will get it any way. There just isn't enough of the vaccine. This is just a paper-work exercise by the FAA. The following vaccine's from other companies will be more consequential for pilots as those are the ones that the public will get.

Not enough right now. But there will be by summer.

2 days is the standard FAA recommendation for a vaccine.

The US government just bought 100 million doses from Moderna a couple of days ago.

Other vaccines are in progress as well. Plus we could buy more from Pfizer or Moderna.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back