FAA Monitoring Of Avionics And Forums?

Btw little safety tip... especially if you fly a low wing. When scud running, always do so inverted to get a better view of the ground. This also helps shake loose money and other items your passengers are carrying which can really subsidize your discounted airfare.
Clever. I just pull the mixture then tell my passengers I can get it started again if they hand over all their money. But to keep it legal I give them half their money back so we are splitting the extortion, fair and square the way the FAA wants it.

Well, the FAA has not had the resources to give me a 709 ride, so they sent my certificate back to me and said "we'll try to figure something out maybe next year.":dunno::lol:

I wonder if they traded in pilot inspectors for Internet monitors.

Well, the FAA has not had the resources to give me a 709 ride, so they sent my certificate back to me and said "we'll try to figure something out maybe next year.":dunno::lol:

Merry Christmas....you've been a good boy this year.:yes:

There is a Santa Claus....:yesnod:

Your pilot inspector got reassigned to Twitter desk duty.

There is apparently a problem with unqualified inspectors. Not unqualied in a physical sense necessarily, but in their internal check pilot recert rides. The FAA can't afford to fly planes anymore?:dunno:

There is apparently a problem with unqualified inspectors. Not unqualied in a physical sense necessarily, but in their internal check pilot recert rides. The FAA can't afford to fly planes anymore?:dunno:

maybe their team of spies have been monitoring this forum and realized you don't need the 709? :dunno::lol:

If they returned your ticket do you owe them a 709 ride? Granted they can 709 any of us at anytime, but I wonder if they closed your file or just put it on hold. Of course taking a 709 ride is easier then weaseling out of one, just curious how this one works.

maybe their team of spies have been monitoring this forum and realized you don't need the 709? :dunno::lol:

Actually the primary guy I am dealing with was good to leave it at an oral ride, but his boss had an issue. They've been trying to find an inspector but it just isn't happening.:dunno:

Interesting. Or just sad.

LOL!!!

There's a relatively "famous" pilot amongst the Internet aviation crowd who's trying to get a CFI-G check ride out of any FSDO or DPE. His story has been quite entertaining, trying to find a qualified DPE or FSDO person qualified to give him the ride.

Y'all can go find it. He's not hard to find.

By the way, in the above scenario, there's a FSDO employee at his local FSDO who's qualified and willing. Management won't allow him to do the ride.

(W&R will be along soon to say we're all just whiners and we should all just take whatever is provided, with a happy smile. I'll just say it early so he doesn't have to. Save time.)

But hey... Santa's sleigh has ADS-B! Yay! ;)

If you are ADS-B out, anyone can track you. An easy way that doesn't even require government resources is FlightAware, which now has its own receivers around the country for exactly this purpose. You can see the result already by searching FlightAware for the N number of a plane that you know is "out" equipped.

Interesting. Or just sad.

LOL!!!

There's a relatively "famous" pilot amongst the Internet aviation crowd who's trying to get a CFI-G check ride out of any FSDO or DPE. His story has been quite entertaining, trying to find a qualified DPE or FSDO person qualified to give him the ride.

Y'all can go find it. He's not hard to find.

By the way, in the above scenario, there's a FSDO employee at his local FSDO who's qualified and willing. Management won't allow him to do the ride.

(W&R will be along soon to say we're all just whiners and we should all just take whatever is provided, with a happy smile. I'll just say it early so he doesn't have to. Save time.)

But hey... Santa's sleigh has ADS-B! Yay! ;)

I'm not particularly fussed...;) The more the government wants to leave me alone, the happier I am.:D

I'm not particularly fussed...;) The more the government wants to leave me alone, the happier I am.:D

LOL. Interesting point. The other guy just wants the check ride mandated by the regs and can't get it. Counterpoints.

LOL. Interesting point. The other guy just wants the check ride mandated by the regs and can't get it. Counterpoints.

My buddy is a long time CFI down here, he hasn't been able to put through a CFI candidate since September.:dunno:

If you are ADS-B out, anyone can track you. An easy way that doesn't even require government resources is FlightAware, which now has its own receivers around the country for exactly this purpose. You can see the result already by searching FlightAware for the N number of a plane that you know is "out" equipped.

I can't find the link now, but as I understood it FlightAware only displayed ADS-B tracking data for flights that were in the system IFR already. IOW, you fly VFR with ADS-B, you won't get put on FlightAware.

IOW, you fly VFR with ADS-B, you won't get put on FlightAware.

In my experience this is true with a minor clarification. If you are in the system, even on FF, then FlightAware will track.

Some of the ground stations which pick you up are "interesting" to say the least.

When your circumstances are a mechanical failure, you will not get a 409 ride.
Or are you admitting the accident was your piloting error?

When your circumstances are a mechanical failure, you will not get a 409 ride.
Or are you admitting the accident was your piloting error?

Oh hell yes. When the inspector walked up to me at the scene and asked what happened, I said, "I done ****ed up." He laughed and said "You have no idea how refreshing it is to have someone be honest about that." After giving the rundown (same as I posted in the "How to have an incident" thread) to him and the NTSB guy, the NTSB guy said, "It's so nice to be able to talk to the pilot and get their thoughts, usually I don't get to.":(

The only thing that failed on the plane was the gear horn.

In my experience this is true with a minor clarification. If you are in the system, even on FF, then FlightAware will track.

Some of the ground stations which pick you up are "interesting" to say the least.

I learned a little about how this works with FlightAware back in October.

VFR, waiting to depart AZO, and the controller wants a destination. We just wanted to head over to the coast and fly south, so we state this. Controller comes back again and requests a destination for departure. Ok, whatever, wilco. So we give him 3GM, figure we'll head over in that direction and hang a left. He gives us the squawk for departure, and we're off. As we get out of AZO airspace we request the change, he turns us loose, and we go about our VFR business.

I get home and look on FlightAware the next day...well, look at that! We're on FlightAware and tracked from AZO until we got released, and changed our squawk. Track stops right then and there.

You are correct, and that is what I meant to say. Thanks for the correction.

FF it depends on who and how they put you in the system apparently. Depending on who issues you your code, FlightAware may or may not get it.

Oh hell yes.

Well honesty does seem to be the best policy, at least in your case. and I must say, I don't think anyone would question your honesty. Well, I wouldn't. There are times when you might be wrong, there are times when you might be misguided, but I do not think there are times when you are dishonest. And i admire that.

So tell me how I get tracked from Salida when I'm over the eastern plains at 9500? I'm thinkin' the antenna has to be on a hilltop...

Oh I thought you were specifically asking how Flightaware is augmenting their data stream. There's a lot of hobbyists feeding them with stuff like the above.

As far as the Salida thing goes, if it's not against his rules to share, I could ask a friend, George, where the official receiver sites are out there. He installed a crap ton of them. If not him, some of the commercial tower guys might know, if you really want me to ask... ;)

I still think the Wide Area Multilateralization tech that was installed in the Aspen valley would have been a better tech for cost effectiveness on a larger scale than this silly 90s vintage low speed data garbage. The gear is impressively small and easily installed and required zero changes to the equipment in the aircraft participating.

Actually the primary guy I am dealing with was good to leave it at an oral ride, but his boss had an issue. They've been trying to find an inspector but it just isn't happening.:dunno:

Why did this come up in the first place (I may have missed an earlier discussion)?….

Henning, when are we going to see your new avatar? Maybe get Bryan to design ya one?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back