FAA Medical Exam for PPL

ajmarks

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ajmarks
I was reading over this thread on starting training and there was a discussion about medical exam complications. I never considered that there would be a problem if you were in relatively good health. However, it sounds like the common advice is to go to your primary, tell them that you're considering getting an FAA medical exam and have them flag any issues.

Do most primaries know what could cause trouble on the FAA medical exam? Why is it bad to just go get the FAA medical exam "blind"? What can go wrong?

Do most primaries know what could cause trouble on the FAA medical exam? Why is it bad to just go get the FAA medical exam "blind"? What can go wrong?

Unfortunately, many students don't get the advice we discussed in that other thread and "bomb" into the AME's office unaware that past DUI infractions, run-ins with the law, getting fed Ritalin as a kid, and other items are issues that the FAA has a high concern about. So yes, many do report the the AME "blind" as you say.

When they have knowledge going in (aka "own your medical" as Dr. Bruce Chien likes to say) then the process is easy and even if the situation requires a Special Issuance, the process can be expedited and you walk out with a medical certificate.

When you don't have the knowledge, and bomb in, you run the risk of having the medical denied. And when denied, you flying plans are pretty much done for. There is an appeals process, but it's time consuming and can be a big dollar cost.

When you are denied, you also loose access to flying under the Sport Pilot rules.

Unfortunately, most of the "bombing blind" airmen don't find out about all of this until they have spent 15-20 hours of aircraft and instructor rental (perhaps as much as $3000 and more) and are ready for solo. All because training before solo does not require a medical certificate, and the CFI was (unfortunately) clueless in advising them of the medical requirement, nor did the CFI ask questions related to 18a-18y on the medical form.

For many of the "young-uns" these days, they don't visit their doctor as often as the perhaps should be. "I'm young, appear healthy, and feel fine" sort of ignorance. Sure, you might actually be okay, but what if there is an underlying something hiding itself? Something that one day could do real harm.

For me, my pre-AME doctor visit discovered Diabetes Type 2. And fortunately at a very early stage of the disease. This is a condition that is not certifiable right out of the box, but can be a Special Issuance as long as I prove proper control, which I am.

So for me, my desire to learn to fly saved my life, limbs, and eyesight.

As said in the other thread, the objective of visit your family doc first is to preserve your priviledge of flying under part 91 or Sport Pilot rules. Let your family doc find the item that the FAA says :no: to and help bring it under control so that when you do visit the AME, you bring all the required documentation that makes the FAA happy.

If it is a DUI or law enforcement encounter thing, you have time to go get the required police and court documents, again, being able to bring a complete set of records that will make the AME and FAA happy.

To summarize, do the medical items as we have discussed here and in the other thread, and it's a much simpler event. Go bombing in blind, and you run the risk of making this much more difficult than it needs to be.

This was a great question.... Keep asking more like that!! :yes:

Are you on any prescriptions? Have you ever been diagnosed with anything? Ever been arrested for anything? If the answer is yes, I would advise you approach it very carefully.

Just to be clear, I'm asking about a Class 3 Medical Exam for a private pilot license.

I found these:

FAA Pilot Medical FAQ and FAA: Become a Pilot -- Medical Certification

They read to me like as long as you don't have a major medical condition preventing you from piloting an aircraft, you're good to go. Doesn't seem that strict.

Also, where is the part about arrests? Do you need to submit to a background check or does the AME just ask questions?

Last edited:
Just to be clear, I'm asking about a Class 3 Medical Exam for a private pilot license.

I found these:

They read to me like as long as you don't have a major medical condition preventing you from piloting an aircraft, you're good to go. Doesn't seem that strict.

Also, where is the part about arrests? Do you need to submit to a background check or does the AME just ask questions?

Define "major medical condition" - is it the same definition as the FAA? Most likely not. I wouldn't count on a non-AME doctor to be aware of the FAA hot buttons either.

The FAA asks about arrests. See the link below.

The FAA form 8500 is no longer in use, but you can look at it to see if there is anything that you would have to check as "yes" (ever in your life) in questions 17 or 18. Some of these things can be "fixed" if you have the right documentation, some can not. You have to be prepared because they can be a big deal to the FAA even if they don't seem that important to you.

Read the form.

Last edited:
***VERY IMPORTANT***

When you go to the AME, printout your MedExpress form and rip off the ID#.

Have him look at the form, ask any questions, do the exam, and IF and ONLY IF he says he can issue in office, then give him the ID# for MedExpress.

That way, if anything isn't right, it is still unofficial until he opens up MedExpress electronically.

Thanks for that. So, how do I know what's a big deal to FAA and what's not? Is there a way to mitigate trouble?

Wait for the DL medical, everything is a BIG deal to the FAA.
You cannot mitigate ,you can only lie , omit or tell the truth and wait for the shoe to drop. If you are squeaky clean and perfectly healthy , then no problem.:D

Yes the advice to take the electronic form to the AME WITHOUT the ID # is important!

Last edited:
Be careful of the medxpress form. Not well written and wired with landmines. Ie. I have or had obstructive sleep apnea. Doesn't specifically ask the question. But in the instructions somewhere if you have it you answer yes to the pulmonary issue. My advice, get an off the record prescreen as an office visit. Flag any potential issues. If there are issues consult a Dr such as Bruce Chien.

I was reading over this thread on starting training and there was a discussion about medical exam complications. I never considered that there would be a problem if you were in relatively good health. However, it sounds like the common advice is to go to your primary, tell them that you're considering getting an FAA medical exam and have them flag any issues.
Since non-AME's are often unfamiliar with FAA Aeromedical rules, that can drop you in a big hole. I think the best course is to call an AME and arrange a "consultation" without filling out the FAA Form 8500-8, and have that AME let you know if you would have passed an FAA exam. If all goes well, go back the next day with the form and get 'er done. If not, find out where you stand and go from there.
Do most primaries know what could cause trouble on the FAA medical exam?
No.

Why is it bad to just go get the FAA medical exam "blind"?
Because you can get denied and lose the Sport Pilot option you'd have if you weren't officially denied.

What can go wrong?
Any number of things.

I think the best course is to call an AME and arrange a "consultation" without filling out the FAA Form 8500-8, and have that AME let you know if you would have passed an FAA exam. If all goes well, go back the next day with the form and get 'er done. If not, find out where you stand and go from there.

Ron is exactly correct!!

Even if your family doctor is a pilot, he or she probably isn't deep in to the ins and out of the current medical system.

Since non-AME's are often unfamiliar with FAA Aeromedical rules, that can drop you in a big hole. I think the best course is to call an AME and arrange a "consultation" without filling out the FAA Form 8500-8, and have that AME let you know if you would have passed an FAA exam. If all goes well, go back the next day with the form and get 'er done.

OR, you could simply fill out the MedXpress, and remove the ID code before you go in so that you do not need a second visit.

I found these:

I looked at the list of things the FAA says are disqualifying...half of the stuff I've never even heard of and the other half I can't pronounce.

I bombed in. :)

I have never been in the hospital for surgery, never had any disease, never broke a bone or had a cast, only had pain killers and antibiotics for various outpatient stuff over the years. I'm in my early 40's, get a physical every year so knew I didn't have diabetes or any other disqualifying issue that I had read of and although I could probably stand to lose 15-20 pounds, I'm in otherwise pretty good health.

I did get advice for example on putting ANYTHING down in the medicines you are taking. Take Ron's advice and talk to an AME or someone more familiar with the system to find out if anything you are or have taken would disqualify you for any reason and go from there.

I also didn't wait until I was ready to solo to do my medical. I took 2 lessons and went and got it done. It took about 30 minutes total. Hopefully it goes that way for the next 15 times or so... :)

Most physicians are absolutely clueless as to what FAA requirements. They think if they write "I see no problems that would interfere with pilot duties" that the FAA will respect their authori-TIE. I've caught mine about to write scripts for drugs that are not only prohibited but would raise serious red flags with the FAA.

If you have anything questionable, you should discuss it, outside of an exam, with a good AME. You won't be able to use that to hide things from the FAA, but as pointed out, it gives you an idea to not apply so as to leave sport pilot flying open.

If you have anything questionable, you should discuss it, outside of an exam, with a good AME.

Definition of a Good AME for our OP and others:

1. Is a pilot himself
  2. Isn't an AME just because it sounds cool to have the additional accreditation.
  3. Is a Senior AME (with a closet full of BTDT T-shirts) who will be a true advocate for his airmen.
  4. Has the OKC Offices on Speed dial
  5. Knows the all of the Senior examiners (the 5 or 6 big swinging Docs) by first name.
  6. Prefers to issue the more challenging certificates "in office" rather than defer
  7. Is not afraid to use said speed dial to reach out to said senior examiner and obtain permission to complete the said "in office" issuance.

Definition of a Good AME for our OP and others:

1. Is a pilot himself
  2. Isn't an AME just because it sounds cool to have the additional accreditation.
  3. Is a Senior AME (with a closet full of BTDT T-shirts) who will be a true advocate for his airmen.
  4. Has the OKC Offices on Speed dial
  5. Knows the all of the Senior examiners (the 5 or 6 big swinging Docs) by first name.
  6. Prefers to issue the more challenging certificates "in office" rather than defer
  7. Is not afraid to use said speed dial to reach out to said senior examiner and obtain permission to complete the said "in office" issuance.

I know at least two. Bruce and my AME.

Most physicians are absolutely clueless as to what FAA requirements. They think if they write "I see no problems that would interfere with pilot duties" that the FAA will respect their authori-TIE.
You mean the FAA won't simply go along with a psychiatrist who diagnoses someone as bipolar by thinks he's stable enough to hold a pilot's license? :nono:

Back