FAA/LSA/MOSAIC news from Oshkosh?

Brad Smith

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad Smith
Has the FAA announced anything new at Oshkosh? I was under the impression that they would give us a pretty solid hint at what changes they are planning. But, as usual, they are probably dragging their feet and keeping us all in suspense.

Has the FAA announced anything new at Oshkosh? I was under the impression that they would give us a pretty solid hint at what changes they are planning. But, as usual, they are probably dragging their feet and keeping us all in suspense.
Per acting associate administrator for aviation safety, an NPRM by August 2023.

Last edited:
Why does everyone think that the FAA will "announce something big" at OSH? They're a government organization, they don't "hype" stuff up. Has the FAA ever in history held onto a big decision and announced it at Airventure?

Per acting associate administrator for aviation safety, an NPRM by August 2023.

Brad, I certainly hope the FAA isn’t as late with your paycheck as they are with everything else they touch. But frankly, I wish the organization got paid for performance like folks outside of USG bureaucracies.

Brad, I certainly hope the FAA isn’t as late with your paycheck as they are with everything else they touch. But frankly, I wish the organization got paid for performance like folks outside of USG bureaucracies.
You be surprised how late they are.....think we could hire summer interns? It took 10 months, once they were "approved", and summer was over. COVID was the excuse....my foot.

Why does everyone think that the FAA will "announce something big" at OSH? They're a government organization, they don't "hype" stuff up. Has the FAA ever in history held onto a big decision and announced it at Airventure?
The Final Rule for Sport Pilot/Light Sport Aircraft was released on July 16th, 2004, less than two weeks prior to OSH 2004. I don't recall, but it's likely it was significantly ballyhooed at AV that year.

Incredible as it may seem, FAA administrators and staff *are* human. They love the attention when giving good news to a large crowd.

Ron Wanttaja

I guess I was just wishful thinking. I read online a while back that there might be an announcement related to MOSAIC at OSH 2022. If I read it on the internet so it must be true!

"They're just habitually late" is one heck of a euphemism for open contempt of congress. But they've always got away with it, nothing new under the sun. I'm just glad they haven't taken a hatchet to the EAB category's mx allowance largesse, though I'm sure that's coming in my lifetime. Smoke 'em while you got 'em I guess.

Back