FAA Issues 2015 Draft Instrument Procedures Handbook

No way that I am aware.

Well, I did it in a somewhat ugly way (removing the "DRAFT" from the file and then repairing the PDF using pdftk) and it seems to work.
So it's finally legible. Unclear to me why they'd want to make people work this hard to be able to read it.

Well, I did it in a somewhat ugly way (removing the "DRAFT" from the file and then repairing the PDF using pdftk) and it seems to work.
So it's finally legible. Unclear to me why they'd want to make people work this hard to be able to read it.

Because it's preliminary and not the final document. Still subject to reviews and changes.

Because it's preliminary and not the final document. Still subject to reviews and changes.

I have no questions why it's designated as "draft". My question is why they slap a huge "DRAFT" across every single page making it very distracting to read and review.

I have no questions why it's designated as "draft". My question is why they slap a huge "DRAFT" across every single page making it very distracting to read and review.

Maybe they do it to avoid confusion when people print out individual pages.

Maybe they do it to avoid confusion when people print out individual pages.

Then they should have the DRAFT positioned so it's less distracting, or provide some way of removing it for reading. The goal of a draft it to maximize the number of eyes on it before release, but with that kind of distraction my guess is it would get a lot less scrutiny.
BTW, as I noted above, I did remove that watermark on my own, but it was a pain and I suspect not everyone can do that (unless there is some trick I've missed).

anyone try and contact the POC and ask for a less obnoxious draft watermark?

Then they should have the DRAFT positioned so it's less distracting, or provide some way of removing it for reading. The goal of a draft it to maximize the number of eyes on it before release, but with that kind of distraction my guess is it would get a lot less scrutiny.
BTW, as I noted above, I did remove that watermark on my own, but it was a pain and I suspect not everyone can do that (unless there is some trick I've missed).

It doesn't seem hard to read when I look at it. Does your display device have brightness and contrast controls?

Because the FAA plays to the lowest common denominator: the drooling idiot pilot who doesn't notice the bright red DRAFT that they printed in gigantic letters across the top or in the margins. So the just plaster it across the middle so Dickey can't possibly miss it.

They think we're that stupid. :yes:

But you know there's always that one moron pilot out there who would claim he didn't see the word "draft" and so it's not his fault that he ________ . That's the guy they put it there for.

Last edited:
Because the FAA plays to the lowest common denominator: the drooling idiot pilot who doesn't notice the bright red DRAFT that they printed in gigantic letters across the top or in the margins. So the just plaster it across the middle so Dickey can't possibly miss it.

They think we're that stupid. :yes:

But you know there's always that one moron pilot out there who would claim he didn't see the word "draft" and so it's not his fault that he ________ . That's the guy they put it there for.

Well, I was able to remove the DRAFT with some elbow grease, as I mentioned above, so I might just be that moron. :)

Because the guv wants to shove their agenda down our throats without any feedback or resistance ..... Happens on the local level too... :mad2::mad2:

When I pulled it it has DRAFT as a gray watermark on each page, but the text is clearly legible though it. There can be a good bit of variation with PDF files (assuming they are not just graphical scans) depending on your software and display drivers.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's not a nefarious plot by big government, the insurance companies, the oil companies nor the vast [right|left] wing conspiracy.

John

Because the guv wants to shove their agenda down our throats without any feedback or resistance ..... Happens on the local level too... :mad2::mad2:
That makes no sense.

Why would there be any draft stage at all, especially a public one?

The point of a draft is to get feedback, and even resistance. Though a competent reviewer has actual reasons for their comments.

Do you think about these accusations or are they just automatic? Never mind, it's obvious.

I was responding to post #2 since reading the DRAFT was observed as difficult because of the Government Watermark.....

If the guv wanted any and all feedback,, DON'T make it hard to read..... Kinda like the 10's of thousands of documents from the Lois Lerner /IRS scandel and now Hillary with 90% of each document redacted with black magic marker... No way to read the entire content..:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad:

If the guv wanted any and all feedback,, DON'T make it hard to read.....

I don't understand the fuss. It it is semi-transparent. You can see the text under the DRAFT letters themselves. It is not difficult to read. The other alternative is for them not to publish it at all. It is also your choice to not read it if it bothers you so much.

I don't understand the fuss. It it is semi-transparent. You can see the text under the DRAFT letters themselves. It is not difficult to read. The other alternative is for them not to publish it at all. It is also your choice to not read it if it bothers you so much.

I didn't read it.... The poster in #2 said it was hard to read.......:rolleyes:

I can't upload it here (for some reason it goes all the way to 100% and then says "Update failed"). A copy sits on my site here:

http://www.ronnatalie.com/images/FAA-H-8083-16A-NoWatermark.pdf

I deleted the DRAFT watermark and moved it to the header/footer of each page.

No elbow grease involved, just loaded it up in Acrobat and pushed "Delete Watermark" and "Add Header/Footer."

Last edited:
Well, I was able to remove the DRAFT with some elbow grease, as I mentioned above, so I might just be that moron. :)

Nope, a moron wouldn't have been able to do that. Who has two thumbs and doesn't know how to do that? THIS GUY. :D

This discussion reminds me of a resume I once received where the applicant used a strike-through font.

Anyways, what are the big changes, if any, being proposed?

Back