FAA Exam Tomorrow

rt4388

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
rt4388
So I'm supposed to be taking my FAA exam tomorrow. Are the questions that I will see the same exact ones on Sporty's Study Buddy? Will the numbers be changed or will the wind directions and such be he exact same on the test as the are on study buddy? Basically, in theory, could I just memorize the answers? By no means am I going to do that, but just trying to figure out what I should expect going into it. Thanks guys!

On my test, the questions were exactly like I studied them. They don't change the numbers, but I think they may mix up the letter choices (a, b. c, d) but I don't remember. But there's a caveat--continue reading.

My first CFI told me to just memorize the questions and answers from the whole bank which is around 600 questions, if I remember correctly, and you'll be fine. But I'm not usually ok with just doing "fine", so I didn't do that. I actually studied most of the topics related to the questions.

I'm glad I did because there were at least 10-12 questions which were new and didn't remember ever seeing before. I did well on them because I studied but if I had just memorized the questions and answers, my 93 may have been an 83 or 73.

I'd suggest looking at the questions and answers, but study the related subject matter, so if you get a new question on it, you will nail it.

BTW- Your test is TOMORROW and you're asking about how to study for it? That should have been asked about a month ago, no? :eek:

On my test, the questions were exactly like I studied them. They don't change the numbers, but I think they may mix up the letter choices (a, b. c, d) but I don't remember. But there's a caveat--continue reading.

My first CFI told me to just memorize the questions and answers from the whole bank which is around 600 questions, if I remember correctly, and you'll be fine. But I'm not usually ok with just doing "fine", so I didn't do that. I actually studied most of the topics related to the questions.

I'm glad I did because there were at least 10-12 questions which were new and didn't remember ever seeing before. I did well on them because I studied but if I had just memorized the questions and answers, my 93 may have been an 83 or 73.

I'd suggest looking at the questions and answers, but study the related subject matter, so if you get a new question on it, you will nail it.

BTW- Your test is TOMORROW and you're asking about how to study for it? That should have been asked about a month ago, no? :eek:

I'm a college student... I'm a pro at cramming. But on a serious note, I've been studying for a while--but now I'm just trying to get idea of what the test is going to be like. I'm not too worried. Thanks for your help! Definitely makes me feel a bit more comfortable about it.

If you're "a pro at cramming," you haven't learned the college lesson yet.

That works OK for short term, but gets you into trouble even a couple of days out.

If you're "a pro at cramming," you haven't learned the college lesson yet.

That works OK for short term, but gets you into trouble even a couple of days out.

...It was a joke.

Don't worry. If you have been to college you will do fine. The hardest part for me was sobering up to drive to the test.

It's the written, anything over anything over 70 is just overachieving lol

In all honesty, it's the written, no one cares, just get it done.

At one point in history the questions were exact... But I thought they changed that a few years back...??

Get a good nights sleep relax. If you did the time ,your ready. Good luck.

Just be thankful you didn't wait until you are 60! I just took the dang FOI written and made only an 88, despite studying hard for a month! That test is all about making sure you are a master of the 'rote level of learning'. :(

Prior experience in giving adult education instruction won't help you with the FOI, and probably hurts.

It looks like the CFI airplane written will at least be helped if you have actual experience with airplanes.

I used both Shepard and the Dauntless IOS app to study, and Dauntless was about a thousand percent better. The questions were all similar, but many were not exactly the same as in the practice applications.

I think the FAA used to publish the actual question banks, but if they did, they don't any more.

Last edited:
I'm taking mine tomorrow morning also. Hopefully followed by my solo weather permitting.

At one point in history the questions were exact... But I thought they changed that a few years back...??

That is true. You can't just memorize that number 76 is B anymore. They switch the order of the A,B,C answers.

I think the FAA used to publish the actual question banks, but if they did, they don't any more.

Correct. They stopped doing it several years back. And yes, they definitely randomize the answers now so you can't memorize that Answer B is the right choice on some particular question.

But the questions are 80-90% the same. There were a few questions outside of the ASA/Sporty bank.

Anyways, you took it already, right? How did you do?

I passed not sure about the op. My solo got rained out.

Any particular questions or types of questions that were big problems? I'm trying to document the questions people have the most trouble with on the written test.

It was all pretty straight forward. I didn't have a single flight planning problem but did have some weight and balance.

FYI and just from my experience. I scored high for my written and during my check ride
Oral the DPE said "sence you scored High on written this will be a short oral test". It was!

Last edited:
FYI and just from my experience. I scored high for my written and during my check ride
Oral the DPE said "sence you scored High on written this will be a short oral test". It was!

As a CFI who's sent more than a few guys for rides, I've seen it go both ways. I wouldn't really think your score is going to dictate much for your oral, now how you handle the first few minutes with the DPE, that a whole nother' story :yes:

All in all, it's a good idea to learn the material and shoot for as high a score as possible.

I used the Gleim book, the questions were about 90% the same as the real test. And like David said, I can say the same, the oral exam wasn't too lengthy for me after he saw I scored high on my written. Though it didn't take all that long, some of the topics were a little more in depth and intuitive, which I thought was good. The best advice I can offer, is read the questions VERY carefully, they like to try and throw you for a loop, sometimes the answer is a lot simpler than you think.

I'm taking mine tomorrow morning also. Hopefully followed by my solo weather permitting.

How'd you do? Never mind--Just saw where you passed! Congrats! You'll definitely be thankful that you knocked out the written stuff before it got too late. I haven't flown in three weeks because there was no sense until I took my exam! Good luck on your first solo! It's probably one of the best feelings knowing you can fly a plane completely by yourself.

Last edited:
Sorry guys--its been a busy few days between work and school. I had an exam Wednesday, a few homework sets due, a group meeting, and an exam on Friday--all while working full time and studying for this test. :/
But the good news is that I did pass! I passed with an 87%. Nothing too great, but nothing to complain about either. I missed some really dumb questions.
For instance, I put 30 degrees instead of 45 degrees for the angle of bank that puts dangerous load factors on the plane. Also, I missed a question concerning DUIs and reporting. I knew it was 60 days, but the options were to report within 60 days to an AME, and two other FAA boards. I also missed a couple of other random ones, but nothing too major.
Thanks for all the help before the test! It definitely helped me relax a bit.

Last edited:
What do they call the guy who got all C's in Medical School? Doctor

And on your computerized test report only one word matters: PASS

Keep it with and fly safe!

For instance, I put 30 degrees instead of 45 degrees for the angle of bank that puts dangerous load factors on the plane.
What's the load factor at 90 degrees, and why didn't I pull the wings off the airplane? :D

Congratulation, BTW.

Congratulations, OP, for passing.

For anyone else who has similar questions and would like more anecdotes: My test (in June) had 62 questions, which surprised me. Two were new questions that they were trying out, and didn't count. However, the trial questions were not marked. There were only a few that weren't in Study Buddy. One question I distinctly remembered from Study Buddy (re: terrain elevation), but the answers were different. It was actually easier and less ambiguous on the actual test!

My incorrect answers were a vaguely worded one about fatigue and a VOR question (make sure you know what it means when it's neither To nor From). I think I also got stuck on who to notify on a drug/alcohol motor vehicle action. I just got lucky on that one.

My incorrect answers were a ... a VOR question (make sure you know what it means when it's neither To nor From).

Same here, I got a 93 but had the same issues with VOR questions (I have no problems flying VOR in real life) and a vaguely worded question about calling for a weather briefing.

Back