FAA estimates more than 30,000 drones nationwide by 2020

On Monday night I went to another seminar on the latest technology to build your own drones.
I'm trying to keep parity with the government. (But at a much cheaper cost)
My other hobby is radio controlled planes. I recently built a quadcopter with gyros, magnetometer, accelerometers, barometer, sonar, GPS, FPV, gimbaled camera mount, completely programmable for hands off flight to multiple target sites and auto return\land at home. All for less than $300.00.

On Monday night I went to another seminar on the latest technology to build your own drones.
I'm trying to keep parity with the government. (But at a much cheaper cost)
My other hobby is radio controlled planes. I recently built a quadcopter with gyros, magnetometer, accelerometers, barometer, sonar, GPS, FPV, gimbaled camera mount, completely programmable for hands off flight to multiple target sites and auto return\land at home. All for less than $300.00.

Sounds sweet. I want pictures and plans. :)

Not doing anything the government wants these days seems to be putting the public at risk.

Aviation wise though, why not just limit the things to 400' AGL and away from airports unless there's a special situation(like a hostage scenario or something) and then issue a TFR?

How many VLJ's were supposed to be crowding the low flight levels by now???

How many VLJ's were supposed to be crowding the low flight levels by now???

Those were supposed to be paid for by private buyers. No limit to the stupidity when local governments get involved. There are going to be a lot of these things. Could be the death knell for us. Remember, once the makers get some market and money, they can institutionalize themselves by bribing, er, lobbying Congress.

No worries, no one will be able to qualify for a medical by 2020.

Not doing anything the government wants these days seems to be putting the public at risk.

Aviation wise though, why not just limit the things to 400' AGL and away from airports unless there's a special situation(like a hostage scenario or something) and then issue a TFR?

A low altitude restriction seems redudant. All the proposed uses appear to be in airspace most GA aircraft are unlikely to be in. For example, a police drone at 400' over some urban area is in airspace no manned airplane is supposed to be.

The danger of asking or demanding restictions on drone use of any sort is that any supporting rationale will be used against GA. Or at least used by enemies of aviation to prove their case against GA was correct all along.

Back