FAA Civil Aviation Registry Question

i'd just put some rudder pedals on dere
Eventually, the Ercoupe design evolved to include rudder pedals and eliminate the aileron-rudder interconnect, but Ercoupe purists seem to view them with disdain ("Real 'Coupe pilots don't need rudder pedals," or something like that). BTW, twisting the yoke to steer on the ground like driving a car takes some getting used to after a few thousand hours of doing it with your feet.

Try to fly an approach to land using ONLY rudder pedals, throttle, and trim. (Perhaps from a long straight in.....)

I was required to fly an ILS including vectors to intercept down to 50ft like this before I could get signed off for the checkride.

Right -- why spend the extra $2?
Just didn't feel like it - the address on the card was still a valid address (ie my home of record) and since there is no photo on the license, it is not like I can use it as a form of ID for anything else.

Want to see some serious side-loading? Check out the video below. Shows an Ercoupe landing in a stiff crosswind at 5:40 into the video, followed by shots of other pilots in other more conventional aircraft attempting to land in the same wind conditions (the Ercoupe wasn't the only one to experience serious side-loading on the gear, but it was the only one designed to expect it.)

That was painful. Pretty sad how many folks let the upwind wing pop up after touchdown. :yikes:

Without rudder peddles, coaxing it back out of the spin might take some doing.

(Inside aileron would probably get you into a recoverable spiral dive, I'd imagine.)

I bet I could get it into a spin. Just takes some thinking outside the box.

Back