faa approved owners manual

stapler101

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
stapler101
Maybe I am confused.
What is the difference between an owners manual and a POH?
I need to find an Faa approved manual (which ever is legal) for a 1974 cessna 182P.
Where can I get one?

thanks

I think the POH is specific to a particular plane with the installed equipment. The "owner's manual" is generic to that type.

Ron or Wing&Rotor will be along shortly with a better answer...

EDIT: I forgot that POH didn't exist before ~1978 as mentioned below...

Last edited:
Maybe I am confused.
I need to find an Faa approved manual (which ever is legal) for a 1974 cessna 182P.
Where can I get one?

thanks

You will not be able to obtain a FAA approved POH for your 1974 Cessna. The FAA approved POH concept for light aircraft started in about 1978.

That's when they replaced the generic small book that most pilots didn't read with a much bigger and more specific and standardized-format book that they didn't read either.

You will not be able to obtain a FAA approved POH for your 1974 Cessna. The FAA approved POH concept for light aircraft started in about 1978.

That's when they replaced the generic small book that most pilots didn't read with a much bigger and more specific and standardized-format book that they didn't read either.

And the funny thing is that there is more information and pages in the Owner's Manual for our 2006 Jeep Commander than in the POH (or whatever you want to call if for planes built before 1978) for any of the planes I fly.

You are, however, still required by the airplane's type certificate to carry on board an "Airplane Flight Manual" containing approved data. This is not the "Owner's Manual" which is not required (though still very useful since it contains the performance charts and W&B charts.) In my airplane this legal AFM is a single page of double-sided paper. In others it could be a small booklet. You might check with some of the Cessna clubs to see if they have a lead on a copy. Otherwise you might have luck with Cessna Aircraft Company, for a price. Hopefully you already have it and don't realize what it is.

I've attachd a sample of mine (sans the supplement for my non-standard engine.)

Attachments

• C170B_AFM.pdf
    124.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Maybe I am confused.
Where can I get one?

thanks

After '78 or so (see other posts) the FAA started controlling the Pilot's Operating Handbook (POH), a.k.a., Owner's Manual, in an attempt to standardize them. Prior to that time, they varied depending on manufacturer.

You should be able to download one, or buy one from a pilot supply house.

There is also a document called a "Flight Manual", which is very specific for the particular plane. It will have the operating limitations, specs, etc. At least that is the way it is for my '66 M20E. The POH is a somewhat brief description of the plane and how to fly it, the FM is a set of details on it.

For recent (late 70s or so) airplanes I think the proper term is "Approved Flight Manual" for the airplane-specific manual - there's a sheet in the front that specifies the serial number it applies to, and the manual will have the W&B/Equipment list for the actual airplane, as well as the proper supplements for the equipment actually installed.

Then there's the POH/Airplane Manual which is generic for the type, i.e. 182S or TB20 or DA40. It will have a sample W&B/Equipment list, and all the supplements at the time of printing. This is good for performance planning, limitations, etc, and is sold by manufacturers and flight schools and such.

An "owner's manual" is a booklet prepared by an aircraft manufacturer containing whatever data it chose, in whatever format it chose. A POH is document containing the information required by Subpart G of Part 23 in a specified format. POH's must pass FAA scrutiny, while owner's manuals do not, and are s/n-specific including equipment lists, W&B data, etc, for that particular aircraft. For aircraft built in 1978 or later, an AFM/POH is required to be in the airplane when it's flown.
If it is a Cessna 182 built in 1974, there is only a generic owner's manual, which can be obtained from a number of internet soruces and is not specifically, legally required for flight (but a darn good idea to have for compliance with 91.103 and an absolute necessity for passing a practical test). Note, however, that some installed equipment (like a GPS or autopilot) may require a flight manual supplement, which must be present even if there is no requirement for a flight manual to supplement. This would be addressed in the STC or other documents covering the installation of that item.

Last edited:
You are, however, still required by the airplane's type certificate to carry on board an "Airplane Flight Manual" containing approved data.
For pre-78 aircraft, some yes, some no, and it's "no" for all the Cessna and Grumman singles I've checked. Pre-78 Pipers and Beeches, however, generally do have required AFM's (which are separate and different from their owner's manuals). So, the only way to be certain is to check the TCDS for your aircraft here:
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/MainFrame?OpenFrameSet

one difference is...

An early Cessna 172 owners manual 1st page says something like "Congratulations on your purchase of a new Cessna"

The 1st page of a Late model 172 POH says something like "WARNING, MAY CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH"

Brian

But they name it Aircraft Flight Manual (AFM) so it sounds cool, but not only do people not read it, they don't call it by its proper name. :D

Last edited:
For pre-78 aircraft, some yes, some no, and it's "no" for all the Cessna and Grumman singles I've checked. Pre-78 Pipers and Beeches, however, generally do have required AFM's (which are separate and different from their owner's manuals). So, the only way to be certain is to check the TCDS for your aircraft here:
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/MainFrame?OpenFrameSet

The type certificate data sheet for Cessna 170 aircraft requires it in various forms at item number 402 under required equipment, on all models. This is a pre-1978 aircraft, obviously ;)

But you are right about the 182, I see no similar requirement, until serial number 18266591 which appears to be some model after the 1974 one.

The basic required equipment as prescribed in the applicable airworthiness
requirements (see Certification Basis) must be installed in the aircraft for certification.
This equipment must include a current Airplane Flight Manual effective S/N 18266591

through 18268586 and R18200584 through R18202041.

The type certificate data sheet for Cessna 170 aircraft requires it in various forms at item number 402 under required equipment, on all models. This is a pre-1978 aircraft, obviously ;)
Right you are. Just goes to show how important it is to be familiar with your particular aircraft's TCDS.

But you are right about the 182, I see no similar requirement, until serial number 18266591 which appears to be some model after the 1974 one.
Probably 1978.

Back