FAA approved electronic E6B and flight bag suggestions

Greenhead

Pre-takeoff checklist
Would like to know which FAA test approved E6B seems to work the best for student pilots. Are they all one in the same? One just as good as the other? Needing to purchase one for 15yr old and figured I'd ask first.

Also, any flight bag suggestions for her?

As always, flying on a budget and trying to minimize regretted purchases.

Thanks in advance

I want to Die with Memories, Not Dreams!

For a student pilot you don't need any of that stuff.

Just borrow a headset from the school till you get your PPL, than buy something nice.

If you're bringing enough stuff you need a flight bag, you're brining too much stuff.

Outside of instrument work, night ops, or cross countries over 200nm or so a EFB is kinda overkill.

If you do go EFB later, iPad mini retina with cellular (for the GPS chip) and fore flight.

Roger that but she has the flying bug and moving along in training nicely. Getting to the stage where she will need the E6B while preparing for and during written test. Now wanting a small bag for headset, sunglasses, map, notepad, etc for grab and go convenience. Basically just needing real world reviews to see if there are some mostly favored over the others.

For a student pilot you don't need any of that stuff.

Just borrow a headset from the school till you get your PPL, than buy something nice.

If you're bringing enough stuff you need a flight bag, you're brining too much stuff.

Outside of instrument work, night ops, or cross countries over 200nm or so a EFB is kinda overkill.

If you do go EFB later, iPad mini retina with cellular (for the GPS chip) and fore flight.

Last edited:
Roger that but she has the flying bug and moving along in training nicely. Getting to the stage where she will need the E6B while preparing for and during written test. Now wanting a small bag for headset, sunglasses, map, notepad, etc for grab and go convenience. Basically just needing real world reviews to see if there are some mostly favored over the others.

A basic manual E6B is what I would recommend. Forget the electronic units.

As for the bag, if you really want one, this is the best one by far, perfect size, overbuilt and fits everything you need. Fast access radio pocket, flashlight pocket, pen pockets etc.

It's built far better than anything you'll find despite it's price.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html

image.jpg

It's what I have, but like I said I really don't use it, shy of someone asking me to fly their no electrical J3 across the country or something like that, it just lives in my office.

Side note, don't bother with the e6b, just learn the math and use a NORMAL calculator, during the written go to laser grade, they have a onscreen e6b which does EVERYTHING.

I got a little E6B, in my time as student pilot, all the way to now as a full time career pilot the thing probably got 2hrs of use on it.

Good investment is a thick lead drafting pencils and a big artgum eraser.

Also one of these.

image.jpg

Once you understand it, quite useful for paper charts.

Last edited:
A basic manual E6B is what I would recommend. Forget the electronic units.
There's two versions - aluminum and heavy cardboard. Get the cardboard, runs about $10. As for a flight bag, a canvas tote or backpack. Get an insulated lunch bag for the headset. At this point, not need to spend $$$ on extras. Spend the money on a good headset. Saving her hearing is more important than the extras.

I understood Sporty's electronic E6B was the only electronic E6B approved for use while taking the FAA written exam. Yes, Sporty's themselves sells software version of the same thing for use on the i-whatever. There are competing apps as well. None of those are approved for use on the test. So its either whiz wheel or Sporty's brick. Honestly, I never found much use for the latter in my flying after passing the written exam.

I understood Sporty's electronic E6B was the only electronic E6B approved for use while taking the FAA written exam. Yes, Sporty's themselves sells software version of the same thing for use on the i-whatever. There are competing apps as well. None of those are approved for use on the test. So its either whiz wheel or Sporty's brick. Honestly, I never found much use for the latter in my flying after passing the written exam.

ASA also makes an electronic E6B. Maybe look for a used one. I bet there are quite a few around gathering dust.

ASA also makes an electronic E6B. Maybe look for a used one. I bet there are quite a few around gathering dust.
I may have one in a box which I either bought or received as a gift at least 25 years ago and barely used. Or I may have given it to the Salvation Army, or the round file.

I had the Sporty's model when I did my instrument training. Used it on the exam and it worked great. After another 10 years lying dormant in my flight bag, I sold it to someone else who thought it would be great for knowledge test prep and easier for other planning tasks until she got her ticket.

If I was smart I would have kept it and rented it short term for like $5 for up to 4 months. Would have been very useful for applicants and made my purchase price back 10 fold by now :)

IMO better off with the cheapo aluminum one. Then get one of the free apps for using in the real world.

As far as a bag, Ive never understood the need for a special bag. Just use a backpack and you're good to go. My headset stays in a smaller bag inside to protect it a little more.

I started to flying at 15 and 4 years later it still works for me.

Where are you located? Zip code?
Maybe a POA member close by can give you a hand. I'll look in my hangar, I may have an extra bag for her.

My current flight bag is actually a laptop backpack I got from Walmart or Target for about $50.00 with 3 compartments. Front is perfect for pens, pads, flashlight, cords. Middle holds ipad mini, logbook and more. Rear is large enough for my headset, kneeboard, and folio containing my QT Halo. And still some room left over.

When I travel for non-aviation purposes, I'll remove the flight items and use it for the original intention.

As far as the E6B for the written. I might have an extra ASA CX-2 that I can put up for sale.

I also have an original Brightline bag that I'm thinking of selling.

I have an ancient ASA CX2 electronic E6B that has never seen any use other than to take written tests. Actually Lasergrade (and probably the others) have one built into the test computer, but I like having a calculator (even for simple math) that I am familiar with.

In flight, on the rare occasions I want to use an E6 function, I use one of the apps on my iphone. That's not an option during a written.

Back