FAA approved drug...Lithium?

OK, when you see me in MY little red car, there will be no road rage or Li involved (except for the Li-ion battery in my phone).

Given that you essentially crapped on people who would be in a position to help you out, and posted a rather drawn out rant (are you not embarrassed?) on here, I am curious how many hours do you have flying a broom? I'm guessing with your attitude problem it's over 20k...

This guy doesn't drive a little red car, does he?

I just consider it part of the deal, keep my head on a swivel and trust in the 'big sky' theory parlayed with the 'internet attracts the anomaly' factor to keep me safe. one nice thing about operating low is not much traffic.

I'm a woman not a man! Wow you people need more help then me!

:drama: Like we could tell when you're hiding behind anonymous posting and none of what you contributed provides any gender specific clues.

I'm not sure what the personal attacks and gender stereotyping add to the discussion. Is what the OP posted not bad enough, so we have to make things up? :(

I'm not sure what the personal attacks and gender stereotyping add to the discussion. Is what the OP posted not bad enough, so we have to make things up? :(

Not saying I would do that, nor am I speaking for the individuals that made those remarks. However, maybe it was to just thumb their noses at the almighty political correctness???

At least there have been no "PMS" comments.

Palmpilot said:
I'm not sure what the personal attacks and gender stereotyping add to the discussion. Is what the OP posted not bad enough, so we have to make things up?

Not saying I would do that, nor am I speaking for the individuals that made those remarks. However, maybe it was to just thumb their noses at the almighty political correctness???

At least there have been no "PMS" comments.

Actually, it's just how I treat trolls. If he/she really is on lithium (and I obviously doubt this), it isn't effective.

I'm not the other "unregistered" poster, and I doubt that she'll be back given the savage and unwarranted attacks on her comments.

Lithium and newer drugs are often used for mild mood swings that are more associated with transitional anxiety and depression than major psychosis. Federal guidelines allow lithium with appropriate Dr's recommendations for commercial truck and bus licenses, by the way.

Only a qualified physician with an active patient relationship can determine whether auto, large truck or recreational aviation was a safe activity, and the possibility of psychosis if the meds weren't taken (i.e. worst case) would be a factor. Given that a primary reason that pilots don't take meds or seek care is to avoid draconian, illogical FAA medical mandates it's reasonable to believe that mildly medicated pilots with mood swings would perform better than those who ignore or try to hide medical conditions from the FAA, which I'd estimate to be 100% of pilots of 40 at one time or another.

Keep in mind that all psychiatric conditions are "normal"---in some individuals and in some circumstances the behaviors exceed the norm, and often can be treated like any other type of disease. The ability of AMEs and FAA bureaucrats to make complex medical decisions about patients they have no relationship with is laughable, and sets up a conflict relationship that's contrary to flight safety.

I wouldn't ride with a pilot (other than a safety pilot) who couldn't see, or was suffering from dementia, or who had serious heart problems. I have no reservations about ATPs who have treatable psychological conditions---it's a fair assumption that most pilots who suffer pschotic breaks, fly into the IRS, etc. are those eligible for medicals because they don't (and are discouraged from) seeking appropriate treatment.

FAA employees and MDs are caught regularly falsifying their medical conditions, and if they believe that some of the restrictions are BS why wouldn't we? The referral to GP and chemist opinions in this string are false representations of authority, if/when non-FAA psychiatrists start posting up I'll listen more closely to their opinions.

Until then, the FAA's position that recreational pilots prove a negative (i.e. that they're not a menace to the skies) with no reasonable opportunity offered to do so (like, say, a flight or series of flights with a Dr and check pilot) makes as much sense and is as ignorant and mean-spirited as locking up young minority males because stats say they could be a greater-than-average danger, and there's no way for them to prove the null. History warns us that any approach that deals with people in non-individual ways is an invitation to bureaucratic abuse and draconian enforcement.

In closing, I find it embarrassing to the entire aviation community that the Dept of Commerce is far more forward-looking and intelligent about managing the medical issues of 80,000lb semi-drivers than the FAA. I don't know if the relative absence of medical-related accidents in Sport Pilot is due to pilots getting needed treatments and choosing not to fly when their personal physicians advise them not to, but it's a reasonable theory.

I rest my case. Why do I respond to clowns like this?

Well, I learned something new today. I didn't really know much about the effects of Lithium, or what it was used to treat. Now I know what it is, what it does, and why the FAA frowns on it. And how people who need the drug due to mental illness react when you politely tell them that their condition is not conducive to operating an aircraft.

I know that if you drop a bunch of electrolytic lithium metal in to a high school chemistry sink full of water (by accident), it makes quite a healthy noise!

There are laws regarding driving under the influence. I would suspect that police would charge you if you crashed your car while taking Lithium. It is a drug. Just because you have a drivers license does not make you safe to drive. It doesn't make you legal to fly.
Even VICKS 44 or NIGHTQUIL will get you into hot water.
Even if Lithium was a FAA approved drug, like any drug, there are side affects from too much or, if really needed to control bipolar, not enough. As was stated before, the beneficial level and the toxic level are so close that those taking the drug should be tested constantly. Overdoses on lithium can be deadly or have long term lasting effects. The user cannot judge correctly when that OD has occurred and those around them may not either.
Be safe. Give up driving if you've ever experienced an OD. Consider giving it up if you've come close. And personally, see if there's another drug or method you can use that doesn't include lithium.

I knew someone who drove a city bus for years on lithium.

I know that if you drop a bunch of electrolytic lithium metal in to a high school chemistry sink full of water (by accident), it makes quite a healthy noise!

I know that if you date a girl in her (and your) early 20s-mid 30s and beyond who take lithium (I have multiple exposures to this lol), you have to think fast and duck faster...:eek::rofl::yesnod::nonod: (It really is sad because they are typically self destructive artists who don't value what they can achieve well because it can't support them.:()

So what’s the problem here? My total disrespect for the FAA policies about an GA pilot must hold and maintain a valid medical? Or I’ve been bi-polar for 25+ years, during that time I became a Commercially rated pilot flying over 2000 + hours; being not medicated. During that time totally swinging very far up and super hard down, so now I’m on a very low dose of Lithium and all of a sudden that medication is “ Over prescribed” and I’m incapable of wiping my own ass?

I come from a very large family of Aviator’s, My Dad AI/AP spray pilot, 2 brothers spray pilots, one flies for a regional carrier. You people can say what you want about me, like I all ready said I knew Lithium was not an approved drug I sure in the hell don’t need some closed minded internet chat room to tell me what’s up.

So when you guys can stop suffering from ‘SDS’ ask me about my last IPC check ride, when the new young CFII flipped out because he got to fly next to a good smelling/looking pilot.

All you guys who think your all that and a bag of chips, ‘Oh a CFI” will never sway from the regs……yeah right…..
I know here comes the rant comments…
Bring them on.

I'm just glad that as I get older, the age-grouping of women I find attractive has moved right along with me. It's highly unlikely you'll ever see me with a 20-something, or even an early 30-something female (even if I was single). Then again, maybe if I took lithium...

Seeing 50ish men with 20ish women has always given me the creeps.

Edit: New T-Shirt. "All women look better with lithium"

And yes, ladies, I agree it goes both ways.

Whenever someone flies with me they get to fly with a good looking/smelling pilot. I'm really just doing a public service ;)

:rofl::rofl:

So what’s the problem here? My total disrespect for the FAA policies about an GA pilot must hold and maintain a valid medical? Or I’ve been bi-polar for 25+ years, during that time I became a Commercially rated pilot flying over 2000 + hours; being not medicated. During that time totally swinging very far up and super hard down, so now I’m on a very low dose of Lithium and all of a sudden that medication is “ Over prescribed” and I’m incapable of wiping my own ass?

I come from a very large family of Aviator’s, My Dad AI/AP spray pilot, 2 brothers spray pilots, one flies for a regional carrier. You people can say what you want about me, like I all ready said I knew Lithium was not an approved drug I sure in the hell don’t need some closed minded internet chat room to tell me what’s up.

So when you guys can stop suffering from ‘SDS’ ask me about my last IPC check ride, when the new young CFII flipped out because he got to fly next to a good smelling/looking pilot.

All you guys who think your all that and a bag of chips, ‘Oh a CFI” will never sway from the regs……yeah right…..
Bring them on.

Lets see, how about lying on all those medicals where you did not disclose a known disqualifying condition and out right lying on direct questions pertaining to mental health? :popcorn:

Here's the deal, I think the system and situation is fine. I don't care if you kill yourself or people who know you who get in a plane with you. I do not think you meet the command qualifications to fly passengers for hire where the passenger has a right to certain expectations guaranteed by the FAA medical system; one of hose expectations is that you are free from this particular underlying mental condition. Past performance in your case cannot be safely reasoned as an indicator of future performance.

Fly whatever you own with whomever will volunteer to get in the plane with you for all I care. As you have discovered, the likelihood of you getting caught outside of posthumously are pretty dang low, and even then the punishments are historically minor and inconsequential (outside replacing the plane financially) to operations.

I still think you have to be pretty dull to take a drug like that. Please tell us what state you live in so I can stay the hell away!

Bring them on.

Good Trollin' sir. :D

You people can say what you want about me, like I all ready said I knew Lithium was not an approved drug I sure in the hell don’t need some closed minded internet chat room to tell me what’s up.

You asked for opinions. People gave you opinions. What's the problem?

(You're not the only person around here who asks for opinions and then complains when they get them, by the way!)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back