FAA and Intersecting runways at uncontrolled fields.

Skymac

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Justin
Has anyone heard in the past that the FAA no supports or aids in funding for the maintenance (surfacing, sealing, etc) of intersecting runways? I’ve never been able to find this in a circular or publication but it’s a rumor that I’ve heard, just not sure if there is any truth to it.

Never heard of it. It was certainly NOT true in the past.

Most of the airports were designed prior to 1970. Many have runway and taxiway designs that the FAA will not fund. You have intersecting runways with an X design, a T design, a triangle design, more that 2 intersecting runways, a host of taxiway designs and grade issues that obscure parts of runways.

So I do not believe it is as simple as the FAA will not fund any interesting runway improvements at uncontrolled airports.

Last edited:
Interesting a believable. I would also find it hard to believe with as many airports that do have intersecting runways. Ours is shaped like a lower case t basically with one taxiway for the long runway and back-taxi required for the shorter runway. It was just a curious question.

Not quite as simple as that. The FAA has design standards for airports. A lot of these standards are motivated from previous accidents and incidents. Those standards evolve over time, and many airports no longer meet them. The FAA will fund rehabilitation of those airfields, but if there is a reconstruction the FAA will push to bring it up to current standards. Intersecting runways alone aren't a big issue, but it depends on where they intersect, and at what angle, lines of sight etc.

My favorite candidate for intersecting runways —

KTCS New Mexico. :eek:

2ynfr6o.png

Back