FAA aircraft registration

BigBadLou

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Lou
Greetings,
I recently submitted registration forms for our new-to-us airplane.
I attached a check for $5 and hoped for the best.

Now I have two questions:
1) The check cleared weeks ago but the registration still shows the previous owner. Does anybody have any insight into the FAA aircraft registration process? It does not matter to me much as long as the airplane ends up registered in my name but I just wonder about the process itself.
Does the FAA have some payment processing department that cashes the check first and then puts it on the ToDo pile for some registration clerk?
2) Now the FAA aircraft registration page shows an error "This aircraft's registration status may not be suitable for operation". Should I self ground a pre-file an ASRS? :D

As long as you have the pink slip you are good to go for 90 days IIRC. If it takes longer than that you should contact OKC

You don't work for DJT OPERATIONS CX LLC, by chance????

:D

As long as you have the pink slip you are good to go for 90 days IIRC. If it takes longer than that you should contact OKC
Agreed.
I am more interested in seeing a bit into the internal process of the FAA.
Hoping that somebody here might know, it is a big forum full of .... well ... mostly pilots. :D

You don't work for DJT OPERATIONS CX LLC, by chance????

:D
Nope. And coincidentally, that thread got me thinking about my own pending registration. :)

I had that happen with my plane when I got it. I signed in the wrong spot, and had to send it back in again signed in the correct spot, which is why my registration says July vs May when I actually bought it and sent the paperwork in, originally.

Same happened to me. Something to do with the way the previous owner had it registered. The BOS didn't match exactly. Took three months if I recall correctly....:eek::eek::eek:

Greetings,
I recently submitted registration forms for our new-to-us airplane.
I attached a check for $5 and hoped for the best.

Now I have two questions:
1) The check cleared weeks ago but the registration still shows the previous owner. Does anybody have any insight into the FAA aircraft registration process? It does not matter to me much as long as the airplane ends up registered in my name but I just wonder about the process itself.
Does the FAA have some payment processing department that cashes the check first and then puts it on the ToDo pile for some registration clerk?
2) Now the FAA aircraft registration page shows an error "This aircraft's registration status may not be suitable for operation". Should I self ground a pre-file an ASRS? :D

hard to believe that the FAA's registration database would be wrong. imagine that.

Agreed.
I am more interested in seeing a bit into the internal process of the FAA.

hqdefault.jpg

I'm currently at approximately 9 months in my efforts to register a new acquisition last summer. BoS didn't match, then a return mailing was lost, then an additional letter and documentation (and another $5) to allow discounting/deregistering the initial BoS. And they cashed my check about 45 days before the FIRST response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most likely the checks just get deposited when they arrive. That's how most folks do it. It minimizes handling and the possibility of them being lost or walking away. Then if there's an issue or a refund is necessary, they just cut a check back.

@BigBadLou I sold my plane in March and it still says my name on the registration as well online. When I bought it, I did what you did and it took about..3 months (ish) for the name to change. I got the paper registration sooner than that of course.

Lou - as others have said don't sweat it. When i bought my first plane it took over 4 months to show my llc. When I sold it - it continued to show my llc as the owner for a long time :) Just fly and have fun.

I just bought a used Grumman this past November. It took approximately 5 weeks for the registration to change to my name. The bill of sale/registration paperwork was all OK as mailed. As you did, I noticed that the check cleared a while before the database was updated.

I wasn't sweating it, really just curious about the internal process(ing) in OKC. But it seems that I might have been right, the payment processing dpt gets to it first, makes sure that they can extract the $5 out of my check and once they do, they fwd the papers to another floor for stamping, stapling, typing and coffee spilling. :)

Hoping that the silly error means "being processed".

And REALLY hoping that the weather does improve for us to attend the STOL competition this weekend. Itching to fly after 6 days of storms and heavy rain.

Just makes you wonder in this day of Internet and instant data transfers, how can any process take that long!?

Just makes you wonder in this day of Internet and instant data transfers, how can any process take that long!?
This is paper processing so it understandably takes a while. That's why I was inquiring about the process to get some insight.
As long as my name ends up in the FAA DB, I'll be happy.

Back