FAA advises Cirrus pilots to check ailerons before flight

LoneAspen

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
LoneAspen
Friend of mine just passed this along to me. There are some folks commenting that people may, or may not be, already checking the safety wire as part of the preflight inspection checklist.

Anyway, thought other Cirrus pilots here might want to at least be aware of this, as it just came out:

https://www.flyingmag.com/cirrus-ailerons-preflight-special-attention

I'm actually surprised the guy who had the initial accident didn't pull the chute. lack of roll controls seems like a good use of the red handle. man, thread derail in reply number 1!

text says

"The FAA’s Chicago Aircraft Certification Branch posted an aviation maintenance update late Tuesday for both the Cirrus SR-20 and SR-22 resulting from the investigation into a near-fatal accident at Houston Executive Airport in Katy Texas in May of 2018.

The pilot of the Cirrus SR-20 involved in the accident reported shortly after takeoff, that he could not maintain roll control of the airplane as the airplane began to roll to the left. The pilot was able to counteract with right aileron input initially, but the airplane continued to roll to the left. The pilot continued to use right aileron and trim, lowered the nose, and executed a straight-in forced landing just beyond the departure end of the runway. The pilot received only minor injuries."

So what is the criteria for "near-fatal"? "Purt near kilt 'em"???

text says

"The FAA’s Chicago Aircraft Certification Branch posted an aviation maintenance update late Tuesday for both the Cirrus SR-20 and SR-22 resulting from the investigation into a near-fatal accident at Houston Executive Airport in Katy Texas in May of 2018.

The pilot of the Cirrus SR-20 involved in the accident reported shortly after takeoff, that he could not maintain roll control of the airplane as the airplane began to roll to the left. The pilot was able to counteract with right aileron input initially, but the airplane continued to roll to the left. The pilot continued to use right aileron and trim, lowered the nose, and executed a straight-in forced landing just beyond the departure end of the runway. The pilot received only minor injuries."

Right up there with a near-miss.

text says

Must be the “rectum” part of “Rectum? Damn near killed ‘em!”

Mr. Hiney, is it true you own two airplanes.??

I did, but I wrecked 'em...

I'm actually surprised the guy who had the initial accident didn't pull the chute. lack of roll controls seems like a good use of the red handle. man, thread derail in reply number 1!

I don't think he ever got high enough for that.

Back