FAA adds another hoop for medicals

This could be spec'd out and CACI'd, for heaven sake.

And how would you recommend we as pilots make this "inside baseball" CACI magic happen?

Call AOPA's customer service folks working from a script on a PC for $9/hr and start saying things like "CACI"? They'll think we want AOPA tan chino pants.

To CACI something seems to me like it's an internal Doc on Doc ****ing match that most of us have no say in, Doc.

We'll happily support your idea but we can't even keep score. The Aeromedical branch has changed their tune on this now three times in two weeks.

Perhaps... They should ask you Docs in the field your thoughts before they start slinging around half-baked ideas? Just an observation.

The 'wakefullness test' is something that should be adminsitered only in military E&E schools, along with practice waterboarding.

The take home sleep test is the way to go.

I certainly don't argue the science, but I do think that something this expense for both the individuals and the government needs to go through some kind of rulemaking process.

I'm not at all convinced that there are many, if any, class 3 private pilots crashing because of OSA.

One civil servant should not be able to create an expensive new regulation without input from the people he's supposed to work for.

Meh. I'd rather do a sleep study. Read this:

http://miley.us/2013/12/07/apnea-no-slapping/

Of course, I think after 45 minutes of forced nothingness, I might just go bat-**** crazy which probably isn't good for keeping a medical either! :D

I had to take the test, for the FAA, twice. It involves 45 minutes of nothingness multiple times over an 8 hr period. It is by far the worst thing I have had to do to keep my medical.

Cost aside, it is not something we want to require of our airmen.

I had to take the test, for the FAA, twice. It involves 45 minutes of nothingness multiple times over an 8 hr period. It is by far the worst thing I have had to do to keep my medical.

Cost aside, it is not something we want to require of our airmen.
Here's an idea if anybody needs to do that. When walking on my treadmill, to avoid boredom, I started humming military marches (Hooray for the Red White and Blue, etc.) and college fight songs. I've now got a 20 minute Repertoire I can't get out of my mind. Don't need to use a clock now, but damn, I wake up humming the OSU Buckeyes' "Fight the Team Across the Field"! Running through them all twice in my head to stay awake would be no trouble, I'd think.

dtuuri

Here's an idea if anybody needs to do that. When walking on my treadmill, to avoid boredom, I started humming military marches (Hooray for the Red White and Blue, etc.) and college fight songs. I've now got a 20 minute Repertoire I can't get out of my mind. Don't need to use a clock now, but damn, I wake up humming the OSU Buckeyes' "Fight the Team Across the Field"! Running through them all twice in my head to stay awake would be no trouble, I'd think.

They don't let you sing or hum. You could only do it in your head.

45 min of nothing, multiple times per day? Is this supposed to measure wakefulness or ADHD tendencies? Sounds like a test that could make someone suicidal or homicidal...

It's as asinine of a test as the bloody 'nerve conduction' test they gave me when I had a ruptured disc in my neck. I'm already in searing agonizing nerve pain, they hook up a couple of electrodes to my arm and proceed to hit me with a ****ing Tazer! I came out of my seat and it was all I could do to not beat the torturer/nurse to death, and she knew it, she ran. Who are these idiots who think up these asinine tests? Are they psychopaths?

I have a friend who literally can't sit still. He's an entrepreneur and has started and run multiple successful businesses. I've always chalked it up to the fact that you can only see his average position in space.

He'd lose it if told to sit still for 45 minutes. He can't do it. He's up at 05:30 every morning and going 100 MPH. He has no sleep problems.

Actually...it likely is...sort of...

[snark]I'm guessing the record is held by One of Kimberly's initial threads when every swinging d*ck here with a fat belly was trying to impress her!

:goofy:

Oh, those were the days. 50 and 60 year-olds acting like they were going thru puberty.[/snark]

Okay, truth be told, maybe I don't miss it. :no:

It was quite humorous and entertaining though. Everyone stumbling over each other trying to be the first one to respond to her every utterance.

Oh, the simple pleasures in life! :thumbsup:

Here I was thinking I was being accepted by everyone as a pilot, and it turns out it was only because I have boobs.

Kind of why I left, actually. I really do love aviation. A lot.

Here I was thinking I was being accepted by everyone as a pilot, and it turns out it was only because I have boobs.

Most men, regardless of how much they love aviation, love boobs more.:rofl:;)

Most men, regardless of how much they love aviation, love boobs more.:rofl:;)

Oh geez you and I have had this conversation offline many times before.

You know exactly the point of my post.

(Sigh)

I just basically keep wrenching on airplanes every weekend, for free, and figure they will eventually understand that I'm there for the planes.

Plenty of people accept you as a pilot; ignore the nonsensical sweeping claims of Tim Winters. I enjoyed meeting you and some of the other California PoA members at Shelter Cove - that was the first time I was able to take my wife someplace by plane (even if we ended up having to land at Garberville!) and stay overnight.

(Sigh)

I just basically keep wrenching on airplanes every weekend, for free, and figure they will eventually understand that I'm there for the planes.

Of course, I just had to rib you a bit.;) Keep track of that time wrenching as well and eventually you can sit for your A&P tests.

Plenty of people accept you as a pilot; ignore the nonsensical sweeping claims of Tim Winters. I enjoyed meeting you and some of the other California PoA members at Shelter Cove - that was the first time I was able to take my wife someplace by plane (even if we ended up having to land at Garberville!) and stay overnight.

I've actually met Tim in person and spent several days with him at a POA fly-in.

In general, you (and Tim) and all of the pilots I've met in person have been great!

Shelter Cove - for those of you who weren't there - was a great little fly-out that a few pilots got together and organized. It remains the only time I've stayed the night and we all sat around a bonfire I arranged, with beer, after dinner, and talked about aviation. Every pilot had his significant other with him, and they joined us too. Such a small gathering but it was perfect. I think 4 men and their dates / wives (well for me it was my boyfriend and I). It is a tiny, remote airport - on the ocean - with no cell phone reception and one or two places to eat. There is fishing, but, in general - just a sleepy, coastal town - far from the mainland. A nice relaxing getaway.

Hearing the sounds of the ocean hit the rocks from the balcony of your room in the dark of night, and then waking to the sounds of single engine planes departing in the morning - It just doesn't get better.

You could literally walk from the runway to the little bed and breakfast where we stayed.

(OK OK it just doesn't get any better except for the Reno Air Races and Oshkosh etc)

At this point in your life you probably are aware of the difference in treatment you will get from being a young woman that a lot of men find attractive (never met you so I'm speculating :D).
It can be good and bad, it's what you make of it.

In any case, if you are posting on a forum and want to avoid that kind of attention, I would suggest not saying your age, and definitely not putting up a picture. Plenty of people don't put up pictures of themselves, and don't advertise a lot about their life (apart from the flying aspect), and no one presses them to do it.

Of course, it's too late for that advice in this forum haha. Just take it as a compliment, it's no big deal.

At this point in your life you probably are aware of the difference in treatment you will get from being a young woman that a lot of men find attractive (never met you so I'm speculating :D).

In any case, if you are posting on a forum and want to avoid that kind of attention, I would suggest not saying your age, and definitely not putting up a picture. Plenty of people don't put up pictures of themselves, and don't advertise a lot about their life (apart from the flying aspect), and no one presses them to do it.

Of course, it's too late for that advice in this forum haha. Just take it as a compliment, it's no big deal.

Considering I've met a lot of POA people in real life, and gone all the way to the East Coast for the fly ins . . . yes.

But thank you for the suggestion, I'll change my avatar. Good idea. The username "Kimberly" kind of gives it away however.

Although you've posted a lot about problems with your social life, I never had any illusions of the type Tim referred to. However, I would like to see more women in aviation, and I admired your go-getter approach towards your involvement in it.

Although you've posted a lot about problems with your social life, I never had any illusions of the type Tim referred to. However, I would like to see more women in aviation, and I admired your go-getter approach towards your involvement in it.

Thanks but I don't see many pilots (male or female) as involved. I can't tell you how many times I hear "how did you know about that event" or "how did you hear about that program" or "I've never heard of that".

There is no CENTRAL place for all the aviation stuff.

In my email, I belong to at least 10 or more "lists" that send me updates on everything from calendar events to aviation news. Most would consider that "spam" and wouldn't sign up for it.

In real life, I attend and am a paying member of 7 or 8 groups (and even more when I went to 99s meetings).

Most people don't have the time or the interest to attend 7 monthly meetings with events and fly-outs on top of that.

I know a few female pilots, and if I see any in real life I tend to gravitate towards them, but, in general.... my weekends at the airport are just about 100% male dominated.

I've certainly never met a working female mechanic. I know one who has her A&P so she can work on her plane, but that's it.

A recent seminar had me talking about my newfound love for getting greasy and a man at that seminar was in year one of a 3 year A&P school. He noted that of the 90+ students, only THREE were female. THREE!!!

Plenty of people accept you as a pilot

Very true, including me.

Ignore the nonsensical sweeping claims of Tim Winters.

Nothing nonsensical at all about it. Review some of the threads she started during the summer of 2011. Guys were stumbling all over themselves trying to be the first response, best response, most clever response, most thoughtful response, etc. it was one of the most entertaining times to be here as it was hilariously juvenile and the fun topic of discussion over a few beers at some of the fly-ins of the era.

This is no slam of Kimberly. Quite the opposite.

And yes, Kimberly and I have spent time together at a few fly-ins and we get along just fine, thank you.

Considering I've met a lot of POA people in real life, and gone all the way to the East Coast for the fly ins . . . yes.

But thank you for the suggestion, I'll change my avatar. Good idea. The username "Kimberly" kind of gives it away however.

Ugg, another anonymous avatar...:rolleyes2:

Ugg, another anonymous avatar...:rolleyes2:

Whatever . . . it is my favorite vintage aviation poster!

Even bought it and framed it and gave it to my best pilot friend for his mancave as a gift when he got his PPL!

This avatar shows a clipper flying over / near the Golden Gate Bridge.

I think it is awesome.

Even bought it and framed it and gave it to my best pilot friend for his mancave as a gift when he got his PPL!

I think it is awesome.

Yep, pretty piece of art, poor Avatar IMO.

I think it is awesome.

Since you changed your avatar, you might want to think about changing your profile picture too :D

Think about it: girl with a motorcycle. It's to a man like those pictures of a hot ripped guy holding a baby, to a girl. And the guy has a ring with a big diamond in his pocket.

Thank you! :yes:

And yes, Kimberly and I have spent time together at a few fly-ins and we get along just fine, thank you.
Count me amongst the group that enjoyed the time we shared during the Gaston's weekend and flying 55WB. It was all too short and I hope to have another chance to fly with her.

Especially when you can make a great highlight reel from her discovering the King Air "Pilot Communication Tube" and her comment about the red spheres on the power lines within the river valley.

And where was that duck when she took a flight in Greg's 195? :D

Last edited:
Yep, pretty piece of art, poor Avatar IMO.

Come on, seriously? I like her avatar, it just needs to be bigger if that's possible. On the other hand, I have wondered for ages what in the world is going on in your avatar. Shiny airplane with a monkey on top?? You should go back to the one you used to use over on AOPA with you in the helmet.

Guys were stumbling all over themselves trying to be the first response, best response, most clever response, most thoughtful response, etc. it was one of the most entertaining times to be here as it was hilariously juvenile and the fun topic of discussion over a few beers at some of the fly-ins of the era.

Still appears to be happening in this thread. LOL.

(Sigh)

I like you for you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back