F33A Approach Speeds

ARFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ARFlyer
I've picked up a Bo guy on the side to teach. We are starting approaches this weekend and I'm still figuring some stuff out.

One of the items I'm trying to figure out is the best approach speed to the FAF and down the pipe. I've read a million versions and the same on reasons. I'm thinking Cruise to around 20miles, slow to 120 until FAF then 100/90 to break out.

What do you guys who fly Bo's think? @SCCutler

My old K35 Bonanza had a Vle of 122 KIAS and Vfe of 104. I understand the numbers on a newer F33A are considerably higher, so that gives you a lot more flexibility. Once the gear is out you can control the speed over a wide range while keeping the engine warm.

I'd recommend the book Flying The Beech Bonanza by John C. Eckalbar, an excellent overview of the performance and handling characteristics of the entire Bonanza line. It includes a lot of tips and details glossed over in the factory manuals.

120 is fine. At the FAF drop the gear and don't touch anything else. Down the pipe you go.

The American Bonanza Society has their "By the numbers" charts for each model of aircraft and each phase of flight. I've taught using those numbers for power, speed, and configuration, and they work very well.

Using either 90 or 120 knots makes fpm calculations easy.

Why? Well lets take it at 60 knots. Look at the VOR approach chart and see its 5 miles from the FAF to the MAP. That is 5 minutes at 60. (a mile a minute). The chart says the FAF is 2000' higher than the MAP, 2000/5 is 400 fpm. At 120 it is 800 fpm. At 90 it is 600fpm.

Last edited:
The American Bonanza Society has their "By the numbers" charts for each model of aircraft and each phase of flight. I've taught using those numbers for power, speed, and configuration, and they work very well.

Do you have a link? Or just Google?

Using either 90 or 120 knots makes fpm calculations easy.

Why? Well lets take it at 60 knots. Look at the VOR approach chart and see its 5 miles to the FAF to the MAP. That is 5 minutes at 60. (a mile a minute). See that the FAF is 2000' higher than the MAP, 2000/5 is 400 fpm. At 120 it is 800 fpm. At 90 it is 600fpm.

Does anyone time approaches anymore?

Besides doesn't take much wind to screw those numbers up, after all the only thing the timer cares about is your speed over the deck.

Back