F16s too close. Going to guns!

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
Yesterday I flew one of the boss's Lear 24s from Springfield, OH (KSGH) to Athens, GA.
On taxi we had to give way to these three dudes and hold for their departure. Pretty cool view from my seat. Man those things get up and GO!

and I thought I was having fun.

Attachments

• PIC-0141.jpg
    PIC-0141.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Cool,...

I guess when following jets, everyone staggers on the taxiway to stay out of jetblast? I remember reading in the AIM the distances that you should hold back, but seems like everyone is pretty close here.

Did you feel the blast as they moved forward in line?

I used to fly into KACY, Atlantic City, NJ a lot to visit relatives. Its a ANG base also, so I'd get to "mix it up" with the F-16's there. Nice bunch of guys who would start up conversations with me on the Ground Freq. The controllers didn't seem to mind and yes I kept the conversations short. They liked my Tiger.

The F-16 we have at KMSN are really fun to see when they take off at night. I remember coming in on 21, and the tower tells me. 83F cleared to land 21 Watch for departing jet traffic on 18. You'll see the 30' flames from the burners.

Cool! And here I was thinking I was cool for taxiing out with a group of L-39's at OSH one year. F-16's take the cake! :)

A few years ago on our way to Alabama for Thanksgiving, we were over Springfield, IL when Approach told us "N2516V, traffic 12 o'clock, 8 miles, 2 F-15's climbing high". We were on top of a solid cloud deck at 9k so we didn't see them. I thought "Huh.. I wonder what 'climbing high' means?" About that time 2 F-15's popped through the cloud deck standing on the tail pipe. I called Approach back "hehe.. Yeah, we see 'em." They were still climbing 'high' when they went out of sight.

cool Lance. on my first solo XC to Sioux Falls I had to position and hold while waiting for a pair of F-16s to land

Lance, if you get any closer, you'll have to dump the guns and go to baseball bats.

cool Lance. on my first solo XC to Sioux Falls I had to position and hold while waiting for a pair of F-16s to land

During my PPL training, the ballast and I had just turned cross to downwind, and tower cleared two F/A-18 Superhornets for takeoff unrestricted climb.

We asked tower for a right 360 (granted) so we could be an a great position to see those guys go. And go they did, stood them on the pipe and gone!

Again during PPL, after runup and ground check, we started moving towards the hold short line and called tower for takeoff clearance. "Hold short of 20, landing traffic." I stopped at the line, looked right, and muttered "No ****, hold short!" into my mic. There was a C-5A on short final. Thems big!

Because of CHA being a very low use class C, the military uses it for lots of training, helos, all kinds of jets, etc.

Another during PPL, I was doing T&G's closed left traffic while one of those 707 based all white command and control Airforce jets was doing T&G's.

Under the hood while doing IR, I remember one fun day when I was doing practice ILS approaches with three T-1A Jayhawks doing the same thing. Fun to listen to those students as well...

Neatest warbird type thing I have gotten to see was coming into Scott AFB and was tols I was number two to land behind a B25. It was fun following him to the runway!!!

I was fortunate enough to ride in the right seat of a B-25 one time as it was taxied from one side of Hobby airport to the other.

A couple of weeks ago I was at NAS Oceana and flew the F/A-18 Sim -- carrier launch and all!

I didn't have a logbook with me so didn't log the 0.5.

The most surprising thing was how much runway was required to takeoff from base, and how much up elevator was required to remain airborne after the carrier launch!

When I was a controller (air traffic) in Germany (c/o USAF), I won a quarterly air traffic control award and got a 1.4 hour ride in an F16 in Germany. Very Cool Ride. We went to a TRA (Temporary Reserve Airspace, similar to USA MOA's) and "shot down" 2 Tornado's and a Sherpa. The flight ended with a PAR appraoch to the base I was stationed at (Spangdahlem Germany). All in all, the ride was 1.4 and I piloted the aircraft for .8 of it, honest Abe.

Neatest warbird type thing I have gotten to see was coming into Scott AFB and was tols I was number two to land behind a B25. It was fun following him to the runway!!!

On my first PPL training venture to a < 25nm airport, I flew from Monroe, NC (KEQY) to Concord, NC (KJQF), a class D airport. I did one full stop landing, and had taken off on runway 02 to remain in the pattern. As I turned from crosswind to downwind I saw a BIG aircraft several miles to the north.

It turns out it was CAF's B-17, the one with the yellow tail and nacels. So with about 25 hours under my belt, I was in the pattern with a B-17, and he was #2 cleared to land behind me! :hairraise: It was cool, but pucker-inducing because I didn't know what the close rate would be for a B-17, but I assumed he was flying faster than my Symphony.

As I cleared the runway to taxi back, the B-17 was in the flair. Oh, and he bounced the landing. :D

On my first PPL training venture to a < 25nm airport, I flew from Monroe, NC (KEQY) to Concord, NC (KJQF), a class D airport. I did one full stop landing, and had taken off on runway 02 to remain in the pattern. As I turned from crosswind to downwind I saw a BIG aircraft several miles to the north.

I had about 55 hours when I took my family from KLNS to KRDG (Reading, PA) for the WW2 weekend.

Imagine my delighted shock to hear, "Enter left downwind, number 2 behind the B-24..."

While it isn't a military/warbird story, I got to land behind a Bae-146 on my first solo At OSH when they still has commercial service:hairraise:.

Tower told me to extend my downwind, and cleared me number two. "Caution Wake Tubulence"

One trip leaving out to Barnes (BAF), I had been given a midfield takeoff and a hold short for departing traffic. Turns out they were 2 pair of A10's. "You'll be delayed about 5 minutes for wake turbulence."
Since threads aren't any good without PIX, I'll see if I can dig them up.

Back