F16 down DC/Maryland, near Joint Base Andrews

Lol, Hollywood rarely gets graded on being based in facts or reality. Iron Eagle is one of those "so bad it's good" movies, almost like a spoof.

Imagine being around 10yrs old, in the mid '80s, and all you could dream about was riding motocross and flying airplanes. At the time it was one of the best movies! LoL

Yeah, we didn't have the internet or youtube to watch videos of cool jets, so it was either air shows, or watching ridiculous movies if you wanted to see fighter jets tearing through the sky.

Imagine being around 10yrs old, in the mid '80s, and all you could dream about was riding motocross and flying airplanes. At the time it was one of the best movies! LoL
This!

We also had the movie "rad" , the greatest movie ever made! Nothing better than "hell track"

Yeah, we didn't have the internet or youtube to watch videos of cool jets, so it was either air shows, or watching ridiculous movies if you wanted to see fighter jets tearing through the sky.

And The Discovery Channel actually had decent programs like "Wings."

And The Discovery Channel actually had decent programs like "Wings."

oh man, granted I was a serious airplane nerd, but as a kid, I had all of them taped onto VHS and archived so I could watch them while I built airplanes out of Legos. Searching youtube the other day, I was saddened to see that while the original videos and narration are undoctored in a lot of cases, the soundtrack has been modified…..especially the XB-70 one, which was prob my favorite. I know, really strange nerdery complaint, but I made it.

oh man, granted I was a serious airplane nerd, but as a kid, I had all of them taped onto VHS and archived so I could watch them while I built airplanes out of Legos. Searching youtube the other day, I was saddened to see that while the original videos and narration are undoctored in a lot of cases, the soundtrack has been modified…..especially the XB-70 one, which was prob my favorite. I know, really strange nerdery complaint, but I made it.

Yep. I still have recorded episodes on VHS almost 30 years old. Some I've bought over the years like "Sea Wings" episodes.

Attachments

• IMG_2617.JPG
    IMG_2617.JPG
    198.5 KB · Views: 16

I ended up flying with a couple of the guys I had watched on Wings episodes. At the time it was like meeting someone famous.

I ended up flying with a couple of the guys I had watched on Wings episodes. At the time it was like meeting someone famous.

I met "Slim" from the Discovery Channel's "Carrier Fortress at Sea" at the gym in Miramar. He was an IP by that time. Actually just watched it last night on DVD...not much on TV when you have to bust out old aviation vids. :D

Last edited:
I met "Slim" from the Discovery Channel's "Carrier Fortress at Sea" at the gym in Miramar. He was an IP by that time. Actually just watched it last night on DVD...not much on TV when you have to bust out old aviation vids. :D

When I was a student at the Rag, I was running late one morning for an early brief. I came in the back gate where there was a long straight stretch with a speed limit that I rarely adhered to. Of course I get behind someone doing 45 and not a mile over so despite my attempts at patience I guess I was riding his bumper. Unfortunately we pull into the same lot and he sees me go in. About 5 minutes later he walks in at the start of brief as the flight lead and somewhat irritatedly tells me I should have just gone around. Needless to say I felt pretty stupid.
As the brief goes on I recognize him as one of the guys from a Discovery Wings episode. I'd have to go back and watch it again but I think he ejected on a cat launch on that episode.

Yeah, kinda same for me with "Carrier", that PBS documentary from about 10 years ago. One of the Marines was my FRS class advisor during his next tour, one of the more senior dudes would later be my CO, and there are countless other faces that I have run into over the years. Same with Speed and Angels…..the other main character, the guy who got shot in the face, was another FRS IP of mine and one of our LSO's. Think he is "out" now flying warbirds all over socal, at least last I heard.

Yeah, kinda same for me with "Carrier", that PBS documentary from about 10 years ago. One of the Marines was my FRS class advisor during his next tour, one of the more senior dudes would later be my CO, and there are countless other faces that I have run into over the years. Same with Speed and Angels…..the other main character, the guy who got shot in the face, was another FRS IP of mine and one of our LSO's. Think he is "out" now flying warbirds all over socal, at least last I heard.

Yeah, just saw him on NBC's coverage of the Reno Air Races a few days ago. He was flying one of the Hawker Sea Furys. Think he came in second.

Back