Votes: 19 34.5%

• Total voters

MachFly

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
MachFly
Which do you prefer?

All votes are confidential (your name will not be shown).

Last edited:
Real racing is on dirt,100mph 2 ft from another car going 100mph turning left.

I.e., not watching a single file parade through the countryside.

Real racing is on motorcycles, cars are for getting the kids to soccer practice.

Real racing is on motorcycles, cars are for getting the kids to soccer practice.

Yeah, I just learned yesterday that one of our POA members raced the TT at Isle of Man. That's about as ballsy as racing gets, folks. Full stop.

No BOTH! And there is a lot more to NASCAR; Sprint, Nationwide, ARCA. Plus there is the whole Le Mans series that isn't even NASCAR. No drag racing. No two wheel choice. No racing vs BB, FB, no soccer.
I took NASCAR because it more represents all racing. F1 teams budgets are 50 times more NASCAR'S. They fly in whole different circles. I would love to go to Monte Carlo but also to Daytona, Lime Rock, and the 4 up drags in NC.

Yeah, I just learned yesterday that one of our POA members raced the TT at Isle of Man. That's about as ballsy as racing gets, folks. Full stop.
Saw that, racing the IoM could be the peak human experience. Don't pay much attention anymore but the new F-1 bikes are going over 230 mph on some tracks. Faster then the cars.:yes:

No BOTH! And there is a lot more to NASCAR; Sprint, Nationwide, ARCA. Plus there is the whole Le Mans series that isn't even NASCAR. No drag racing. No two wheel choice. No racing vs BB, FB, no soccer.
I took NASCAR because it more represents all racing. F1 teams budgets are 50 times more NASCAR'S. They fly in whole different circles. I would love to go to Monte Carlo but also to Daytona, Lime Rock, and the 4 up drags in NC.

There is not, "a lot to NASCAR" anymore than there is to Formula 1, motorcycle, or drag racing, in that sense. All of them have their 'bush league'. They all have lower classes all the way down to little kids. All those F1 drivers, they started in go-carts.

Saw that, racing the IoM could be the peak human experience. Don't pay much attention anymore but the new F-1 bikes are going over 230 mph on some tracks. Faster then the cars.:yes:

WRC is pretty cool as well, what those guys do racing those little cars over all kinds of surfaces, definitely cool.

You left out a number of other racing series. Frankly, I've never been a big fan of F-1 even for the open wheel megabuck series.

NASCAR is more than just the cup cars. There are three national series, a handful of regional series, and countless local tracks. As a whole it's much bigger and more interesting than F-1. Alas the Saturday Night tracks are falling the same death as the local airport. I was an official at the Old Dominion Speedway for years before it closed. It got surrounded by residential development (who just like with airports complained about the noise). Eventually the extension of the public sewer line to the area made it far too valuable not to develop into high density residential and it closed.

I prefer Indy. I also like open wheel dirt, and we go to a handful of races per year to watch the midgets, 360s, and 410 sprints do their thing. I like NASCAR as well, but I still prefer open-wheel and right turns. F1 is fine, but the cars/teams cost so much money that it always seems to make the competition unfair.

The Indy 500 is a great mix of NASCAR and F1. Nothing but left turns, fans with coolers full of alcohol in the stands, and a 3-day party.

I prefer F1, but not by a whole lot. F1 got in my blood back in the 70s. Back then, I wasn't living in areas where NASCAR was that big a deal. Indy car, yes, but about the only Indy car race televised was the Indianapolis 500. You could usually find F1 on Wide World of Sports or something like that - since they raced every two weeks, and things like the Monaco GP were always televised, I was able to watch some of the greats.

Now, every thing is televised, all the time. I don't follow NASCAR, but I do enjoy the spectacle. There are a lot of cars, the fans are really into it big time, and the drivers have some really good personalities.

F1 is way more technical, the drivers seem more serious and robotic, and there is very little chance of passing for the lead on the track. But the cars are way cool (I know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder), they grip the track like nothing else in the world, the tracks put a lot of personality into each race, and the ability of the drivers to control those cars through those corners and on the straights is impressive.

I prefer Indy. I also like open wheel dirt, and we go to a handful of races per year to watch the midgets, 360s, and 410 sprints do their thing. I like NASCAR as well, but I still prefer open-wheel and right turns. F1 is fine, but the cars/teams cost so much money that it always seems to make the competition unfair.

The Indy 500 is a great mix of NASCAR and F1. Nothing but left turns, fans with coolers full of alcohol in the stands, and a 3-day party.

Hmmm, best I recall there are only one or two circle track races a year making right turns.:dunno::lol:;)

There are (or were) road track events with the Indy car circuit.

There are plenty of SCCA and such classes that get you out on a road track at a budget. You aren't getting in a Winston Cup level car on a backyard budget either.

Last edited:
NASCAR for me...

Guess why ???:rolleyes:;).........:D

Attachments

• DSCN0670.JPG
    DSCN0670.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 12
  • DSCN0669.JPG
    DSCN0669.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 5
  • DSCN0695.JPG
    DSCN0695.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 5
  • DSCN0698.JPG
    DSCN0698.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 2
I like both. I used to go see the NASCAR Toyota Savemart 400 at Sears Point (one of a handful of "real" race tracks in the US) but dealing with the traffic afterwards just became too tiresome to deal with at one point.

NASCAR for me, watching F1 is like watching soccer.

After 15 years on the road with an Indy car team I really hate circle tracks. More damage is done when they crash and most of the races are really boring. Indy 500 tops the list of boring races. Trying to stay awake in the pits is not easy. Elkhart Lake is a 4 mile road course and its a tough one too. You can't see the cars except for a very short stretch and its boring. I watched one nascar race at the Indy 500 track and slept through most of it. Only high point was watching the tire changers. We had one wheel nut on the indy car and one guy per tire. I could change a tire in about 6 seconds and then make wing adjustments or help the fueler etc. The nascar boys have 2 guys for 4 tires, 5 nuts per wheel and the new tires have the nuts glued to the wheel so they don't fall off. One jack guy who does one side at a time and those guys get em all done in about the same time as we did. Always waiting on the fueler.... So I have to say thats the most exciting part of a nascar race. As for F1 I don't think its so much of a fan sport as a technology thing. We went through the BAR F1 shop in England when we were there for an indycar race (2003 I think) and the tech that goes into those cars is amazing. The entire F1 gearbox weighed about what the differential in our indycar did. They had a 7 speed box that was computer shifted with engine speeds in the 20,000rpm range. Gears were about 3/8" thick and the whole stack took up less than a third of what ours did. Gearbox case was carbon fiber. I paid most attention to the gear section since thats what I worked on with the indycars. The other stuff was magical and required cubic dollars to acquire. Other than the Tech the F1 races weren't much different than ours from the fan point of view. The fans can't tell the difference between 2 Gs and 4 Gs of acceleration or the fact that the indycar pulls 3 Gs in a turn where the F2 pulls 4 or 5. With the new rules it seems all the races are nothing but single file parades. The rules want close racing and to keep everyone equal but the result of that seems to be nothing but boredom for fans of any of the types.

Frank

Last edited:
Hmmm, best I recall there are only one or two circle track races a year making right turns.:dunno::lol:;)

There are (or were) road track events with the Indy car circuit.

There are plenty of SCCA and such classes that get you out on a road track at a budget. You aren't getting in a Winston Cup level car on a backyard budget either.

Lol, yeah. The right turns were in addition to the left turns. :lol: The SCCA stuff is entertaining and we have run our 300ZX around some local tracks (Hallet Raceway) a time or two. It's just not televised.

Turning left is the least of it.....

Attending a race is all about the smells of fuel, rubber and the best part is the sheer delight of a small block wound up tight to 10 grand......

That guys and gals, is MUSIC to my poor old ears...:):):):)

Turning left is the least of it.....

Attending a race is all about the smells of fuel, rubber and the best part is the sheer delight of a small block wound up tight to 10 grand......

That guys and gals, is MUSIC to my poor old ears...:):):):)

Don't forget drunk chicks showing their tits and pulling trains... If you're watching the race at a NASCAR event, you're looking the wrong direction, same for Indy as well.

Much prefer NASCAR, more action both on and off the track.

Don't forget drunk chicks showing their tits and pulling trains... If you're watching the race at a NASCAR event, you're looking the wrong direction, same for Indy as well.

Agreed.....
Altho as a repeat offender of the Flag Pole area at the Sebring 12 hour race for a few years. I can say my ex and I saw stuff we didn't even think was possible....:yikes::hairraise:......:):):):):)...

Truly outrageous........:redface:

Agreed.....
Altho as a repeat offender of the Flag Pole area at the Sebring 12 hour race for a few years. I can say my ex and I saw stuff we didn't even think was possible....:yikes::hairraise:......:):):):):)...

Truly outrageous........:redface:

That's why racing exists, it's not about the competition, it's about the debauchery. Something about all that noise makes girls horny.

Yeah, I specifically wanted just F1 and NASCAR poll.

As others pointed out, it's apples and oranges since F1 is a specific class, and NASCAR is league with a spectrum of classes.

F1 is eyewateringly expensive, however the reason we have 700hp street cars coming from the factory getting 30mpg owes quite a bit to what is learned, and the technologies developed, in those programs. Nothing intrinsically wrong with being rich, it comes down to what benefits you create or people you hurt in the process.

When the rich decide to spend money for best result, we see best result, and it benefits everyone. That's why we need to spend ALL money for best result. Best Profit and Best Result rarely use the same process to archive the primary goal.

Here's my take on this. I prefer more than just four left turns on the track but there is a lot more to the comparison than that. NASCAR is more of a race of who can get through traffic the fastest, which you can actually find in F1 as well (first half of the first lap). F1 is always on the cutting edge of new technology, sure it costs a lot more because of that but so what? The real reason why I actually prefer F1 is you have more proper racing there, you can analyze each corner, each line, you can actually see what's going on on the track and it's not all covered up by a heard of cars doing exactly the same thing.

As others pointed out, it's apples and oranges since F1 is a specific class, and NASCAR is league with a spectrum of classes.

Sure it is, I won't argue. You just have people who prefer one or the other and often you get discussions of what's better, so I just wanted to see what a poll would show.

Sure it is, I won't argue. You just have people who prefer one or the other and often you get discussions of what's better, so I just wanted to see what a poll would show.

Yeah, the results are about what I expect with pilots. While F1 may have more complexity to analyzing individual turns, the amount incurred in circle track racing is not insignificant either, though often factored differently.

Personally to watch them on TV, I couldn't be bothered to find them, but if on, I'll watch some F1, not NASCAR. Standing trackside at NASCAR is ok, the sound is good, horsepower from torque rather than RPM, just more 'strength' to the sound. Watching the cars, meh, I would enjoy NASCAR as much blind. The only F1 I attended was Monaco last year from a yacht in the harbor, I was not paying attention to the race.:lol:

I wouldn't turn down a seat in either, but I think it would take about 3 times the practice to get good and competitive in F1 over a top end stock car. I'd have more fun with F1.

The big observer advantage F1 one has is that open wheel cars add the 'launch for the sky' crash mode possible in bumping. NASCAR they may smoke the tires and spin out, but they don't launch into a 20' high back flip at first tap.:lol:

Not in England, Japan, or Australia.:D

Not true - there are always American tourists who get it wrong !!! I singled out Americans because they are the majority who do it

Seen that many times myself !!

The pile ups are different - the NASCAR train wrecks vs the F1 unguided missiles.

There are some spectacular crashes in F1 where the drivers climb out of what's left and walk away. (wasn't always that way) Here's a good one: Concussion and sprained ankle and was driving again two races later,

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=685_1181547684

Last edited:
How many people know that the Cup car is almost as fast and powerful as the F1?

Not many. Btw, real race cars look like this

Attachments

• 20141004_001356.jpg
    20141004_001356.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
How many people know that the Cup car is almost as fast and powerful as the F1?

Not many. Btw, real race cars look like this

Nice car! And fun racing, too.

I don't know how Cup cars compare to F1s right now. The Cup cars probably do have more HP. F1 changed the rules either last season or this season and the F1 engines were pretty much totally redesigned to be hybrids. They now use regen braking and can use the battery for extra HP boost for a few seconds each lap.

http://jalopnik.com/how-formula-ones-amazing-new-hybrid-turbo-engine-works-1506450399

Back