F-35: What The Pilots Say

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by Eric Stoltz, Mar 27, 2019.

1. TCABM

TCABM Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    3G
    As you know, the Raptor and the F35 solve political problems more than tactical problems.

How’s the Guard Golden Eagle program coming along?

2. Stan Cooper

Stan Cooper Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Stan Cooper
    We give foreign aid to Canada? U.K.?

EDIT - Apparently we give Canada $35.5 million in aid, but it's for their Department of the Interior; zip for military. We also give the U.K. $150,000 in aid for all agencies. Again, zip for military. We give Saudi Arabia $355,000, 3% for military.

https://explorer.usaid.gov/

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  3. EvilEagle

EvilEagle Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    EvilEagle
    That makes sense for the way the public thinks about stealth. Many times at airshows people ask similar questions - “you’ll never even know they are there”. When the 117 came out and to a large extent even when the 22 came out, there was not much that could find a “stealth” airplane. As technology changes, it’s just not the same. Since I have to keep it unclass, I’ll just say that the only time I’d want to do a/a in a 35 over the 15 is if I’m going after one fighter that’s in a double digit SAM mez. (Or one fighter per F-35 in my formation assuming we each still have our massive 2 missile loadout. Any other time I’ll take the Eagle.

TCABM likes this.
  4. EvilEagle

Display Name:

Display name:
    EvilEagle
    Truth, but they are both good jets. The Raptor is a great jet now they have worked out the kinks. Should’ve bought 750 of em!

Golden Eagle is a thing of the past because we need all the ones that were supposedly “silver eagles” to stay as long as the other ones. Now it’s just the Eagle and we’re trying to find a way to stretch them as long as the DoD needs us flying. Thankfully It sounds like the F-15CX/EX is going to get bought which will solve a LOT of problems for our fighter force in the future.

TCABM likes this.
  5. jesse

jesse Administrator Management Council Member

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jesse
    Two missiles? Aren’t they supposed to have like 4 AIM-120s shoved up their cute little kangaroo pouch? Those would be useless?

*has no idea what I’m talking about. I suppose the SAM(s) would drop the 120? I also suppose there is nothing stealth about letting a 120 fly.

Also, the more I think about this, how stealth can a J35 be with two AIM-9s hanging off if. Seems like you’d need to stick with only 120s if you wanted full stealth. Got yourself a problem if that doesn’t work and you end up close.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  6. TCABM

Display Name:

Display name:
    3G
  7. TCABM

Display Name:

Display name:
    3G
    That’s refreshing to hear.

8. Velocity173

Velocity173 Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Velocity173
    TCABM likes this.
  9. EvilEagle

Display Name:

Display name:
    EvilEagle
    They can carry up to 4 internal. If you ask them they don’t really ever plan on that if there are any SAMs or targets in the area. If they are loaded “wall to wall” it’s still half of what my Eagle brings, and 1/4th of what the CX will bring.

I don’t want to get down too many rabbit holes. The jet is great for some things. A/A just isn’t one of them. They are very useful for some missions and I’m glad other people fly them.

Remember not every country that’s buying these is a staunch supporter of ours and our interests. This technology WILL get out there and there will be even more vulnerabilities uncovered. Turkey, Isreael, Italy; at least we aren’t selling them to France or Belarus.

TCABM likes this.
  10. Seanaldinho

Seanaldinho Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Charlie Yankee
  11. Velocity173

Display Name:

Display name:
    Velocity173
    Italians are just glad to be rid of their F-104s. They’ll take anything they can get now. :D

EvilEagle, Seanaldinho and TCABM like this.
  12. EvilEagle

Display Name:

Display name:
    EvilEagle
    That’s funny. I was at that flag, the numbers quoted are definitely not accurate. Ahh, the media (or maybe the fighter pilot ego when in front of the cameras!) haha

Seanaldinho and TCABM like this.
  13. Seanaldinho

Seanaldinho Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Charlie Yankee
    Do have to take everything with a grain of salt.

The quote "...we neutralized more than 100 SAM systems and never lost a plane..." could easily mean that during the entire flag, all aircraft combined accomplished that number.

14. EvilEagle

Display Name:

Display name:
    EvilEagle
    Oh I know that’ll be for the whole exercise - the part I was talking about was “never lost a plane” - that’s just not true.

TCABM and Seanaldinho like this.
  15. Pugs

Pugs Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pugs
    Did a lot of the various flags over 20 years and to say the reality of what happened on the range and what came out of the big debrief and the small debriefs were different is an understatement. Mix a magazine article with an agenda in and you have a real field day.

TCABM, EvilEagle and nauga like this.
  16. Witmo

Witmo Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tim
    New F-15s may solve near time fighter shortfalls, but these new fourth generation jets will be in the inventory long after our adversaries have fifth generation jets on the ramp so we may be digging ourselves a future hole. I sure wish we had the capability for reopening the Raptor line and getting the number we actually need for both today and tomorrow's Air Force instead of something that will be obsolete about the time the new airplane smell has worn off.

17. Cap'n Jack

Cap'n Jack Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cap'n Jack
    What does the text in bold mean?

18. Cap'n Jack

Cap'n Jack Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cap'n Jack
    My impression reading the citation is they they have similar capabilities to our current AWACS. The reference to certain angles agrees to what I've heard about why these planes have leading/training edges and other edges all at the same angle- to reduce the angles a RADAR is reflected. It wouldn't surprise me if they were using satellites to scatter a signal off aircraft that they could detect with their planes.

19. nauga

nauga Pattern Altitude PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mantis Toboggan, MD
    Basically an area that has a dense (effective) surface to air missile threat.

Nauga,
    spiked

TCABM likes this.
  20. Craig

Craig Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Craig
    Restart of the Raptor line has been thrashed out a couple of times over the years. Last estimate I saw, was in excess of 2 billion bucks and more than two years prep work before the first part would be made. Lead time on engines is almost two years and there would have to be a major redesign and qualification of the electronics suite due to obsolete parts in some of the boxes.

21. kyleb

kyleb En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Drake the Outlaw
    Maybe, but still far, far less expensive than designing new engines and a new airframe from scratch.

22. Velocity173

Display Name:

Display name:
    Velocity173
    Missile Engagement Zone. (Computer voice) “S A, S A, ten...lock!”:eek:

807AD905-B251-4855-9845-040D5B7B2B7F.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  23. EvilEagle

Display Name:

Display name:
    EvilEagle
    Double digit SAM - the double digit part is the SA-10 family of systems. (SA-10A/B/C, 12, 20, 21)

And the MEZ as described above.

24. EvilEagle

Display Name:

Display name:
    EvilEagle
    That’s the point though, “stealth” as thought of IRT airplanes is talking about a very small RCS (Radar cross section). Radar is in the X-band spectrum. LONG long L O N G before the 15X would be retired, the X band will be all but retired. (Thus making “stealth” irrelevant). We’ve gone to plaid with the thought that every future plane has to be “stealthy” in order to survive. 10 years ago I would probably agree with you but what I’ve learned (especially in recent years is) the X band is getting very crowded and very easy to counter with EA (jamming). A jammer is on an order of 30-50x cheaper to purchase than developing/investing further into stealth. Out of band solutions are the future, stealth is great right now when those x band systems are up and operating. That won’t be the case for long (relative to the life cycle of any new fleet of jets).

TCABM and hindsight2020 like this.
  25. Velocity173

Display Name:

Display name:
    Velocity173
    First public demo in the US last weekend.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  26. Timbeck2

Timbeck2 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Timbeck2
    One of my best friends flies the F-35 (after the A-10 and Tornado) I would like to have the money the government pays for the helmet alone. $300K

27. Witmo

Witmo Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tim
    I'm not going to get into a discussion of electronic attack with you but anything that emits is subject to exploitation (re HOJ?). I don't have a crystal ball to know what will be around in thirty years (possible lifespan of new F-15s) but I do know that they won't be survivable against even fifth generation jets long before their airframes age out. There are reasons certain radars use certain frequencies not the least of which is the relation of frequency, wavelength, antenna size, cell resolution, track update rates, etc. Current stealth is designed to counter the radars used for tracking and terminal guidance and I'd bet those frequencies are still going to be in use in thirty years. Will other tracking technology probably exist in the future--I'd bet on that also. Today's F-15s will be even more vulnerable to the new technology in all likelihood.

28. EvilEagle

Display Name:

Display name:
    EvilEagle
    Agree to disagree. The X band is not long for this world.

29. Pugs

Pugs Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pugs
    Old radars/weapons don't go away, they just get sold to other countries that may, perhaps, need a reminder whacking once in a while. For most of the last 30 years we've been dueling with the cutting edge of 1960 SAMS. They will still kill you and took great joy in showing them the pointy end of a HARM.

30. EvilEagle

Display Name:

Display name:
    EvilEagle
    I know all about how SAM systems are proliferated. I’m not saying they won’t be there, I’m saying that the X band will be unusable. If the X band radars are completely blinded it couldn’t see a B-52 any better than a 35.

31. hindsight2020

hindsight2020 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    hindsight2020
    Before the air force completely went bonkers and abrogated the EA mission to the Navy, some concepts were thrown around to replace the EF-111 lost capability with a "EB-52". I read some of the specs and boy, that thing would have been a monster lol.

TCABM likes this.
  32. kyleb

kyleb En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Drake the Outlaw
    I wonder why not an EB-767 or similar? Lots more airframes to pick through

33. hindsight2020

hindsight2020 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    hindsight2020
    There was no KC-46 at the time; it was just a white paper anyways. Predictably it never went anywhere, just like the re-engine idea. The USAF didn't get rid of the EF-111 to get right back and procure yet another dedicated mission aircraft and all the lifetime costs it entails, so that's right out. Joint and multi-role is the flavor of the decade these days it seems. Jack of all trades, master of none. Yipeee.

TCABM likes this.
  34. Scrabo

Scrabo Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Scrabo
    I forgot I had an early model of one in my office - forgive the dust :)

F35.JPG

35. Pugs

Pugs Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pugs
    Hey, we got a lot of nice ALQ-99 transmitters out of that deal.:).

EW is changing and an EB-52 would have just been a larger target for home on jam regardless of the amount of noise it puts out.:eek: The future is a high/low mix of Manned and UAV Electronic Attack plus a whole lot of cyber from remote locations.

How this will against the threat is being worked out in labs and ranges but EW is truly one of the most dynamic areas the DoD deals with. It's not sexy, but it's critical and it's always an intellectual mission. Few of us wanted Prowlers out of VT-86 but it ended up being a good mission for me for 20 years.

36. Velocity173

Display Name:

Display name:
    Velocity173
  37. hindsight2020

hindsight2020 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    hindsight2020
    LOL Stink Bug!

Velocity173 likes this.