Attachments

• engine load 3.JPG
    engine load 3.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 43
  • engine on.JPG
    engine on.JPG
    676.1 KB · Views: 52
Yay!

Tom, if you keep going like this, you're going to run out of parts and not know what to do with yourself.

How did you get it from the engine stand to the front of the plane? Lift ring on the engine somewhere or ropes around convinently strong parts like the crank shaft and engine mount?

You probably left a few people scratching their heads on the road wondering what that trailer is all about.

Last edited:
Ever since I first read the journal of your trip west in the Fairchild, I have been captured by this project. I cannot wait to see it!

Is June too soon? Arkansas is not *that* far.

/s/

I rented the trailor because the one I have is difficult to load, So I winched the "L" stand into the trailor and tied it down for the 3 mile trip to the hangar.

The Warnerhas lift eyes placed beside and to the rear of #1 cylinder, set up the engine crain. and lifted it into place and bolted it to the firewall.

I still must fabricate all the boot cowl parts, and hook up all the controls.

Should be flying before fall.

SCCutler said:
Ever since I first read the journal of your trip west in the Fairchild, I have been captured by this project. I cannot wait to see it!

Is June too soon? Arkansas is not *that* far.

/s/

I have family things to do this summer, we are taking 5 weeks off starting middle of may. to the end of june. traveling by truck/camper to NY.

The gaston thing has crossed my mind, but it's a big detour.

Henning said:
So, looks like you'll be flying to Oshkosh....

OSH isn't my kind of gig. You'll find the heavy bucks take the prises. I build aircraft to fly.

NC19143 said:
OSH isn't my kind of gig. You'll find the heavy bucks take the prises. I build aircraft to fly.

I think you have a good chance.

Tom,

Well, it's about time. :) You certainly have been taking your time with this little project and it looks great!!:yes:

Tom. That looks great. You are a true craftsman.

Henning said:
I think you have a good chance.
Unfortunately, I disagree.

I know.. hmmm, years ago, he's probably passed away, sadly... a boatyard owner who was as much of a craftsman as is Tom. He bought a Model A woodie wagon as a project. All the wood was rotten and all the metal was rusted and gone. Larry did a piece by piece restoration, restoring what he could, and manufacturing much of the rest. It was fascinating to watch the project come together. Larry even went so far as to manufacture the bits necessary so his router would make a faithful copy of the dovetail joints on the wooden wheel well surrounds. When done, he drove the car everywhere in good weather.

He attended his first and last auto show. He came out with either no prize or a lousy one. Seems the car had some road dirt in a few corners. The prizes went to the garage queens that got trucked everywhere. No credit for being reliably drivable for several hundred miles to the show. It is a shame that there wasn't a class or division of the show where this man's talent could be recognized, but there wasn't.

I am guessing but I bet it is the same at the big Airshows.

-Skip

Skip Miller said:
Unfortunately, I disagree.

I know.. hmmm, years ago, he's probably passed away, sadly... a boatyard owner who was as much of a craftsman as is Tom. He bought a Model A woodie wagon as a project. All the wood was rotten and all the metal was rusted and gone. Larry did a piece by piece restoration, restoring what he could, and manufacturing much of the rest. It was fascinating to watch the project come together. Larry even went so far as to manufacture the bits necessary so his router would make a faithful copy of the dovetail joints on the wooden wheel well surrounds. When done, he drove the car everywhere in good weather.

He attended his first and last auto show. He came out with either no prize or a lousy one. Seems the car had some road dirt in a few corners. The prizes went to the garage queens that got trucked everywhere. No credit for being reliably drivable for several hundred miles to the show. It is a shame that there wasn't a class or division of the show where this man's talent could be recognized, but there wasn't.

I am guessing but I bet it is the same at the big Airshows.

-Skip

As regards old cars, in Marion, Virginia there is Blevins Motors(24 hour towing and recovery) who towed my disabled U-HAUL truck in November. Inside the body shop is a Model A Ford and a Model T Ford. Each is under a drape. The Model T had been restored from the frame-up by Mr. Blevins, and in 15 years of car shows around the USA he never came away with less than First Place, Best of Show, or The Peoples' Choice . It's just a spectacular vehicle.

HR

Last edited:
NC19143 said:
I have family things to do this summer, we are taking 5 weeks off starting middle of may. to the end of june. traveling by truck/camper to NY.

The gaston thing has crossed my mind, but it's a big detour.

Where in NY Tom? I'm in Central MA, I'd gladly travel wherever if you have the time and inclination to meet some of us eastern coasters!

Cheers,

-Andrew

astanley said:
Where in NY Tom? I'm in Central MA, I'd gladly travel wherever if you have the time and inclination to meet some of us eastern coasters!

Cheers,

-Andrew

I was raised in Delaware County, and will stay at my sisters in Walton, or Delhi.

I also will visit my daughter in Maryland.

NC19143 said:

Oh yeah, BTW the big prize for you may be the rich guy who is into old planes. He might see your work and give you one of them projects you can retire on. Oshkosh is a showcase of talent as much as it is of equipment.

Back